Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
lalanik
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydeals View Post
I guess we got lucky. We left for Hollywood studios around 8:30am. Around 11:00ish while watching the Ariel show, I realized that I forgot to lock the safe because I didn't have the key. We had 2 ipads, house/car keys and about $300 in cash. My husband went back and the mousekeeper was cleaning the room. Nothing was taken. I don't know if she didn't realize or have time to realize that the safe was unlocked or she realized her job & morals was more important than our ipads and cash.
Awkward...you assumed the "mousekeeper" was a low-life thief without even knowing him/her...Shame on you...
lalanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
lovemydeals
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalanik View Post
Awkward...you assumed the "mousekeeper" was a low-life thief without even knowing him/her...Shame on you...
What..... So, should i be ashamed that i lock my door at hotel every night and double check the door that connects my room to the adjoining room is locked because because i am making the assumption that neighbors could be thieves and lowlifes?

I guess shame on disney as well for thinking the worst of its employees by even installing safes in the rooms. Why put them in if stuff like this doesnt happen.

Crime happens, even in the most magical place in the world.

More importantly. I really find it hard to believe that if you left something valuable in your room you would say, oh well... I hope its still there when i get back. No, you would do the same. You would go back to your room and make sure it was ok. On your way to your room you would kicking yourself for being careless and e thinking the worst case scenario. But, maybe i am wrong and you are a much better person than me.

Last edited by lovemydeals; 10-15-2013 at 08:57 PM.
lovemydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

I have also heard of people stealing items when a door is propped open and housekeeping is cleaning.. Someone put a laptop in the drawer near the door.. While cleaning the bathroom, this person walked in and removed the laptop. It was on a camera ( not a Disney hotel) and shown on the news..

I always leave my iPad in the room during the parks..usually stuffed down in my suitcase
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
ColoradoDisney
Mouseketeer

I travel 20+ times per year in my job. I have never had anything stolen from my hotel room. I avoid leaving valuables such as electronics in my room while I am out.

Just because you could be more careful does not excuse a thief's behavior. The bottom line is someone stole from you. That is wrong, illegal, immoral, etc.

You should never tip out of fear. No one has the right to steal because of the amount someone tips.
ColoradoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #20
mymeme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel on Land View Post
Ok. OT a bit, but how do you upload all pics to icloud??
Just go to Settings, iCloud and make sure you have it On and select all you want to be back upped to iCloud and set to automatically back up. Then if you do lose the iPhone or iPad when you get a new one and sign in you will have your pics, contacts, messages and whatever you chose to back up. You can also get the app Dropbox and back up automatically to it also. hth
mymeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
How does your post contribute to the situation? It just seems like you are pouring salt on the wound...
It's called a tip. If you don't want to use it, fine by me. As for pouring salt in the wounds, there won't be any wounds in the future if the op uses the tip.

And what does your post contribute to the situation .
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb584 View Post
Because of the title I thought I was going to be reading a post praising Mousekeeping for going above and beyond. Instead, they went above and beyond doing the wrong thing.

In short, no. A person who can so easily steal an item that very apparently belongs to someone else has no morals; he/she is a thief. A tip would have been nothing more than icing on the iPad cake.

What I would do, however, is contact the police. Relate your story to them. Not only do resorts have survelliance cameras, they are also able to tell who went into your room at a specific time. From that information it will be easy for them to determine which Mousekeeper was responsible for cleaning your room upon checkout. It wasn't a pair of socks. It was a rather expensive electronic device PLUS $170 in charges for apps. Also contact your credit card company, explain the situation and dispute the charges. Have the card locked and a new one reissued with a different number. If I were in your position there is no way I would just let it go in hopes that Disney would get to the bottom.

Good Luck! Some people are just scum and I'm sorry you can to encounter one in, of all places, Disney.
Agree with all this. So sorry this happened.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
Hisgirl
DIS Veteran

So important to use 'where's my ipad'. It will show you exactly where your ipad is now residing and you can call the police. They will get it back.

My gyno doctor had workers in his house and his wife's ipad went missing. He logged into where's my ipad and lo and behold...it showed the ipad was around the corner down the road a bit in someone's house.

He called the police and the police knocked on the door saying,"We have reason to believe there is stolen property here. An ipad"

The man who answered the door denied having an ipad in the house but his son walked up, and said, "But Daddy, you were just using that ipad"

Come to find out the guy was a pretty big drug dealer and the officers got more than an ipad.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
So important to use 'where's my ipad'. It will show you exactly where your ipad is now residing and you can call the police. They will get it back.

My gyno doctor had workers in his house and his wife's ipad went missing. He logged into where's my ipad and lo and behold...it showed the ipad was around the corner down the road a bit in someone's house.

He called the police and the police knocked on the door saying,"We have reason to believe there is stolen property here. An ipad"

The man who answered the door denied having an ipad in the house but his son walked up, and said, "But Daddy, you were just using that ipad"

Come to find out the guy was a pretty big drug dealer and the officers got more than an ipad.
Nice!

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #25
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydeals View Post
What..... So, should i be ashamed that i lock my door at hotel every night and double check the door that connects my room to the adjoining room is locked because because i am making the assumption that neighbors could be thieves and lowlifes?

I guess shame on disney as well for thinking the worst of its employees by even installing safes in the rooms. Why put them in if stuff like this doesnt happen.

Crime happens, even in the most magical place in the world.

More importantly. I really find it hard to believe that if you left something valuable in your room you would say, oh well... I hope its still there when i get back. No, you would do the same. You would go back to your room and make sure it was ok. On your way to your room you would kicking yourself for being careless and e thinking the worst case scenario. But, maybe i am wrong and you are a much better person than me.
Sorry but I agree with the PP. Basically what you said was ... 'IF she noticed the safe was open, she totally would have wanted to take my stuff, but maybe she thought twice about it because her job was on the line, but she definitely wanted to take my stuff because all people in her situation do...'

And for the record no, I left a $4000 dollar gaming laptop in my room, my Galaxy Tab, one of our phones, our wallets, including our credit cards, an external hard drive, and memory sticks in our hotel room at POR every single day for almost 2 weeks. I never had a single worry something would go missing.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #26
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

I would keep calling and then check your house insurance. Depending on the deductible they may give you a couple dollars towards the new iPad. But i can assure you, tipping or not tipping does not have an impact on somebody who is honest or not honest. It just shows you that they do not manage their house keepers well. They should have fear that they would lose their jobs and turn everything into lost and found but obviously they do not. I hope that you changed your credit card number by now. Your CC company should be happy to get new cards out to you asap. I use Capital One and they over night new cards in this situation. No questions asked. I would also call Apple, i assume they can lock your iPad from accessing your account and keep it from re-downloading paid for software.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
brenbrady
Mouseketeer

ON another note, we stayed at Wilderness Logde at DVC and my grandson left his ipod in out room, he fell asleep on one of the beds and his ipod got lost in the covers. We checked out and never knew it was there. The housekeeper knew my daughter was in the room across the hall and she very nicely took the ipod over to her room.
I did call housekeeping and let them know what she had done, it was nice to be able to compliment housekeeping when they do get so many complaints.
So not all housekeepers are thiefs, some are there to do there job.
brenbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
jrsharp21
Mouseketeer

The last time we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel my wife left a necklace and pendant from Tiffany's that her sister had given her as a birthday gift. She left it on the bathroom counter as I remember seeing it there thinking she would put it on on the way to checking out. We got home later that day and she realized she left it there. She called Disneyland Hotel and let them know what happened. They called back later saying they talked to the person who cleaned our room and they said they didn't see a necklace at all on the bathroom counter. Of course my wife didn't believe it for a second but there was nothing she could do about it. Now we do triple checks through the room anytime we check out of a hotel.
jrsharp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
lovemydeals
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
Sorry but I agree with the PP. Basically what you said was ... 'IF she noticed the safe was open, she totally would have wanted to take my stuff, but maybe she thought twice about it because her job was on the line, but she definitely wanted to take my stuff because all people in her situation do...'

And for the record no, I left a $4000 dollar gaming laptop in my room, my Galaxy Tab, one of our phones, our wallets, including our credit cards, an external hard drive, and memory sticks in our hotel room at POR every single day for almost 2 weeks. I never had a single worry something would go missing.
Do people not read everything before posting, i said "her job & MORALS". Because she has morals, she would not steal even if the items were there for the taking.

Plus why is everyone jumping on my case. Everyone who has posted about getting something stolen is making the assumption that the housekeeper did it. Do they have any hard proof? No, but in their case its ok to make that assumption that they are a thief because the item is missing.

I give up...
lovemydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #30
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumWhrOvrThRanBo View Post
We just returned home from an amazing family vacation! We stayed 6 nights at AKV Kidani Village-- it was absolutely perfect. However later that day, after checkout my husband realized he had left his iPad in the room- he was certain he left it behind & he knew exactly where he had left it. We went to the front desk of our resort & told them about our mistake. They told us that the room had already been cleaned & there was nothing that could be done-- they gave us the # for house keeping as well as lost & found and told us to call the following afternoon & we could have the iPad shipped to us at home.
Well I call housekeeping and lost & found-- they both told me that nothing was left in the room & we must be mistaken. However, he had his credit card information & password saved in the device & since checkout over $170 dollars in apps have been purchased.
Long story short-- my husband thought I left a Mousekeeping tip on the entertainment center before checkout & I thought he was the one who left the tip. I have to question-- if a tip was infact left, would our iPad been returned!??

So sad.
Nope. If Mousekeeping is to blame it would not have helped. Assuming it was in the room, your Mousekeeper may have turned it in to lost and found and any number of people could have had access to it. It is also possible that it could have been left elsewhere and someone picked it up or stole it there.

I will say that I brought my $1000 camera and my iPad and left it in the room when Mousekeeping was there. Never had a problem. it would be an individual that made the decision to steal it. Sorry this happened. Can't they track the purchases or the device. They all have tracking. Mine is trackable by my iphone. I don't remember the app or if we paid extra to do this. I'll try to check and report back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: