Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #31
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

# 28 Tonga Toast at Kona Café
"Sweet & Crusty on the Outside, Warm & Rich on the Inside & Just like Me"

On my previous trip to WDW, I had scheduled breakfast at Kona Café&but my family went into rebellion mode about the time the ADR was supposed to have taken place, so no Tonga Toast for me that trip&so I had been dreaming of Tonga Toast since my 1st trip 3 years ago and I was not about to chance thinking I would pick up QS at Captain Cooks some morning if I had time, tonga toast is something you make time for!

Thursday morning was another early morning for us, after a late night in Epcot for Illuminations (remember we technically checked into CBR on Wednesday morning, had a couple of hours sleep before heading out for rope drop at Epcot). We had reservations at 7:30 am at the Kona Café prior to departing for USO. I knew we had to be at the bus stop prior to 7 am if we wanted to make sure we got to our ADR on time. It was hard to leave the comfort of my bed, but with mouth watering we managed to be out the door and to the bus stop right at 7 am with a bus pulling up for MK only minutes after! Love it when Disney buses work on my schedule (and trust me that was not always the case on this trip, or is it ever the case). Boarding I asked the driver what was the best way to get to the POLY from MK, since we had breakfast reservations there. He told me, no problem he would drop us off at the POLY since he had no other passengers. YAY! We arrived at the POLY right around 7:15 am, headed up the elevator, checked into Kona,

sat down to enjoy the view of the pool..

(but who needs the volcano pool when you have a date with Harry) and do some people watching as families were getting already getting pictures taken for Ohana.

While waiting I discovered that I had gotten the Disney Rash& dont you just love it when you come from a DRY climate and your skin goes into shock.

It wasnt long after my discovery that the buzzer went off and we were seated and our server was taking our order&of course you knew what I ordered, but Cammy decided on the macadamia nut pancakes.

I have to say that the Tonga Toast was just as good as I remembered (and as big). I had to send a couple of text pictures to a friend&and one of her boys was not too happy at my picture, remembering that his dad would not even share a bite&I shared a little bite with Cammy.

Normally, I am not a banana kind of girl and eat them only because I need the potassium&but warmed bananas sandwiched between cinnamon French toast with a little strawberry puree is&well YUMMY! Breakfast finished we headed back down the elevator around 8:15, and had the pleasant surprise that our driver to take us to IOA was already waiting for us 15 minute early! Wahoo, Harry here we come!

Last edited by momabaarjo; 10-29-2013 at 06:05 PM.
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #32
momabaarjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
It is nice to just run for 'fun'!! You got out sooner than I did after my races. I think I took 2 months off, not 2 weeks!

I did not want to miss anytime with winter approaching...I so don't want to start from ground zero again!

Did you ask where all those fish were going?

Even the flight attendants were joking about the fish...

CBR is I think the only resort that I've never stayed at or even visited. Weird.
Not weird, you know what you like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Love the scrap book pages. Good idea to scrap as you go.

Might make this TR a little slower...

I'm glad you liked your resort. Mickeystoontown is also sold on CBR. We've stayed here 3 times and it's just not my favorite. However, I do have a favorite memory from one of our stays. There was a night time shuttle launch. We had a fabulous view from one of the bridges.
I think it was where we were located at...although we did not have a perfect view and were 1/2 in between Aruba and Jamaica bus stops the location to OPR, the beautiful lake, and how quiet it was really was a bonus. I know people have a love or hate relationship, for me it was
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #33
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

That tonga toast looks so yummy! Did Cammy like it? Are there nuts in it? What a beautiful sunrise to start your day too.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
momabaarjo

#28-Tonga Toast

Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #35
momabaarjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
That tonga toast looks so yummy! Did Cammy like it? Are there nuts in it? What a beautiful sunrise to start your day too.
No nuts in the Tonga Toast! Cammy liked it, but I think she preferred her pancakes! It was a beautiful sunrise...we saw a few of them, but I am thinking that my next trip I plan on seeing less of them!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #36
spiritsim
DIS Veteran

subbing

subbing in.....

WDW Commando Member #241
First time in the world! But not our last! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3359150
spiritsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #37
momabaarjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsim View Post
subbing in.....
So glad you could come along!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #39
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

Following along. I hope you accomplished everything on your list!

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
tankgirl427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #40
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Count me in!!
MelMel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #41
momabaarjo

#27 Expedition Everest
No Fast Pass Needed, Slowing down to Enjoy a Line?

What a crazy adventure Friday morning was with Disney transportation which destroyed any touring plan that I had in AK (which will be discussed in my post about Tusker House). After our safari and hike into the wilds of Africa, we jumped continents into Asia…

where we were able to catch the standby line to EE at only 20 minutes, which made me really excited…as the line was short enough that we would not have to wait long to ride but long enough we would get to enjoy some of the theming. I know that seems pretty silly to get excited about standing in line, but EE has so many great things to read and look at that you miss when using a FP.

The line still moved relatively fast through all of the displays, but I got a chance to look at things without feeling like I was holding up people and get a few texts off to a friend…since she wanted a moment by moment trip report. We both got a few giggles out of this one.

It was not long before we were boarding our train for our expedition. Cammy had never been on EE so she was excited and EE is my favorite mountain in the world…lets just say neither of us were disappointed and after it was over we picked up a couple of FP for a ride in an hour or so. We decided to use up our wait time for next ride on EE by taking another hike, this time through

Sadly there were no dragons to be seen…I was not too disappointed if you have seen 1 dragon you have seem them all…

I don’t know why I find these guys so interesting…I could stay there for hours just watching them in amazement. I would love to see one fly!

Mr. Tiger was being really lazy…he just ignored us the entire time we were there!

The entire time we were in the bird area I felt like I was ducking. They were so active and I was afraid of something landing on me…but we found this little guy hidden away and thought he was so cool looking.

Then it was time for another expedition. Afterwards, I found a t-shirt for my ds#1 (Boo), since EE is his favorite mountain, too and we had to leave AK for our next adventure…
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #42
momabaarjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Luvin the scrapbook page there
Thanks Emma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
Following along. I hope you accomplished everything on your list!
ME TOO...but this trip was really about living in the moment...no so much about hopping all around the place, but enjoying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Count me in!!
So glad you can join me!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #43
momabaarjo

#26 Mickey Bar: Ice Cream for Breakfast, a Trip Tradition

Our last morning found me still without a Mickey Bar. I know shocking. After getting to bed around 5 am, I was still up pretty early; actually I don’t think I slept at all. Once I stopped my whole body went into rebellion mode telling me it did not like the 10 miles and the Villain party. Really if I could have just cut off my feet at my ankles I would have been okay. My feet were throbbing like I have never felt before…deep sharp throbs. Tossing and turning for 3 hours I finally gave up and begin trying to be quiet rummaging in my suitcase trying to find my Biofreeze, with no success on finding it or being quiet. Waking Cammy up we decided to get back and savor what few hours we have left in WDW. While packing we discussed where to go…and ended up with Epcot to finish off our feasting around the world and the snack credits/quick service credits we had left. We called valet service to pick up our bags and take us to the Customs House...

shortly before 10 where we checked in for our afternoon ride on the saddest ride in all of WDW, ME to MCO. I dropped off my Fairy Godmailer postcards...

and we were off to Epcot with the knee walker along for a ride. Our first stop was to pick up a fast pass for TT and drop off the knee walker in stroller parking for the morning. We had a little time to kill before the food booths opened, so we decided it was ice cream for breakfast (a tradition of mine on every trip) and what better breakfast could you have than Mickey shaped ice cream coated in chocolate?

Everything tastes better if it is Mickey shaped! After our little treat to hold us over for another hour till we could feast again, we decided to visit 2 attractions that I had not experienced before (and probably won’t ever again)…First Figment.

Being teachers you would hope that we could come up with the storyline of the attraction, but neither could and we left baffled. Still with time to waste we checked out Captain EO.

I had forgotten from my teens how bad this was, and not BAD in Michael Jackson’s terms but bad as awful (although the music at the end was good). Cammy decided to make matters worse and remind me that the year EO came out was the year she was born and the year I graduated from high school. But that’s okay, she is far more mature and responsible then most 20 somethings. Only one way to drown my sorrows over that comment…is the Wine part of Food & Wine open yet?

Last edited by momabaarjo; 10-31-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #44
momabaarjo

And here's the scrapbook page for #26 Mickey Bar....

Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #45
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

Man I could go for a Mickey bar right now!

I remember seeing Captain EO for the first time with my cousin, one of the trips we took last year. And we just busted out watching it and went it was over we couldn't figure out why Disney would think playing that would be a good use of that space. They have enough empty pavillions there that they need to do something with it!

Can't wait for the photos of the rest of you trip!

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
tankgirl427 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: