Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Questions about rebooking onboard

So, we opted to rebook onboard last week, and I've never done this whole "dummy booking" thing.

I am concerned because me email I got says it's for a 4 day trip on the Wonder next December.

Can I change it to a 7 day on the Fantasy and still get my discount?

Do I deal directly with DCL on this or get a TA?
__________________
Moxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)
 
jennylyn_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,599

You can change it to another cruise as long as you do so prior to the PIF date of the "dummy" cruise. If you didn't specify a TA when booking your cruise and it's after 30 days then deal with dcl. If its within 30 days, or you specifies a TA, you can transfer the cruise to a TA. Up to you.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran
 
Lisa Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
So, we opted to rebook onboard last week, and I've never done this whole "dummy booking" thing.

I am concerned because me email I got says it's for a 4 day trip on the Wonder next December.

Can I change it to a 7 day on the Fantasy and still get my discount?

Do I deal directly with DCL on this or get a TA?
Yes, you can switch to any available cruise -- whether it's longer or shorter than the one you booked -- and maintain the OBB benefits. If you switch from a 4-night to a 7-night cruise, your OBC will increase to $200. If the cruise you switch to is more expensive, you'll have to pay some additional money to bring the deposit up to 10% of the new, more expensive cruise. You can keep the reservation with DCL and either call them or go on the DCL web site to make the change. If you do decide to transfer the reservation to a TA, you must do so within 30 days of the original reservation date (i.e., the date on which you made the OBB). Many here who use a TA do so for the extra OBC or, in the case of Costco Travel, the cash card.
__________________
~Lisa





Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylyn_b View Post
You can change it to another cruise as long as you do so prior to the PIF date of the "dummy" cruise. If you didn't specify a TA when booking your cruise and it's after 30 days then deal with dcl. If its within 30 days, or you specifies a TA, you can transfer the cruise to a TA. Up to you.
So is there an advantage to having a TA?
__________________
Moxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
Yes, you can switch to any available cruise -- whether it's longer or shorter than the one you booked -- and maintain the OBB benefits. If you switch from a 4-night to a 7-night cruise, your OBC will increase to $200. If the cruise you switch to is more expensive, you'll have to pay some additional money to bring the deposit up to 10% of the new, more expensive cruise. You can keep the reservation with DCL and either call them or go on the DCL web site to make the change. If you do decide to transfer the reservation to a TA, you must do so within 30 days of the original reservation date (i.e., the date on which you made the OBB). Many here who use a TA do so for the extra OBC or, in the case of Costco Travel, the cash card.
Oh...Costco?

I'm DVC, and so all previous cruises have been paid for with points, and I finally wizened up about paying cash for cruises rather than points. It's a whole new ballgame for me on this.

I would certainly like to get more OBC!
__________________
Moxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
silkie8
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 129

What if you book a dummy cruise....then, decide you do not want to cruise again at all. (I know this is unlikely, I am just wondering....) So you cancel the dummy cruise - before Final Payment time. Do you lose your deposit? Or do you get your deposit back??
silkie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
islandtimect
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 1,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post

So is there an advantage to having a TA?
Some TAs give an OBC of 4-5% of the cruise fare. Plus its Cruise Month and many are giving an extra OBC for bookings made in Oct. Plus the $50 OBC for paying with Disney Visa, and you could get hundreds of dollars in credits! We also work hard to get the dining seating you want and are knowledgable on excursions and other travel tips.
__________________
Marie
1st visit 1972
DVC member- AKL, BLT
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
Some TAs give an OBC of 4-5% of the cruise fare. Plus its Cruise Month and many are giving an extra OBC for bookings made in Oct. Plus the $50 OBC for paying with Disney Visa, and you could get hundreds of dollars in credits! We also work hard to get the dining seating you want and are knowledgable on excursions and other travel tips.
So, I have this reservation number...so I just call a TA and give them that, even though I don't even know what date we'll actually be sailing?
__________________
Moxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
islandtimect
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 1,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post

So, I have this reservation number...so I just call a TA and give them that, even though I don't even know what date we'll actually be sailing?
Just give your name, res #, and booking info to TA. TA gives you a form to sign that authorizes transfer of res to TA. Quick and painless. I did it several years ago and got$200 in obcs!
__________________
Marie
1st visit 1972
DVC member- AKL, BLT
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Awesome...TY!

So...next question...anyone have any TA recommendations?
__________________
Moxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
shburks
DIS Veteran
 
shburks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 1,537

Love Heather at Wishdrawals...www.wishdrawals.com. She specializes in Disney and has taken several Disney cruises.
__________________

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
Love Heather at Wishdrawals...www.wishdrawals.com. She specializes in Disney and has taken several Disney cruises.
Sent them an email, thank you so much!
__________________
Moxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
pandas138
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 22

Marie at Castle Dreams Travel also has taken several cruises and gets right back to you.
pandas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,088
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkie8 View Post
What if you book a dummy cruise....then, decide you do not want to cruise again at all. (I know this is unlikely, I am just wondering....) So you cancel the dummy cruise - before Final Payment time. Do you lose your deposit? Or do you get your deposit back??
Every reservation with DCL is for an actual date, but it's referred to as a "dummy" if you don't intend to cruise that specific date and intend to push the reservation to a future date. If you decide not to cruise the "dummy" -- prior to the PIF date you can either push it out further to another "dummy" date or you could cancel and receive back full refund of deposit plus any payments made. As long as it is before the PIF date, and not a concierge booking, you will receive back full refund of any amounts paid. However, once cancelled, you will NOT be able to get OBB benefits if you decide later to do another cruise - and hence the suggestion to push your dummy date out further rather than cancel. But if you truly decide not to cruise again and/or simply need the funds back, then cancel prior to PIF with no repercussions.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkie8 View Post
What if you book a dummy cruise....then, decide you do not want to cruise again at all. (I know this is unlikely, I am just wondering....) So you cancel the dummy cruise - before Final Payment time. Do you lose your deposit? Or do you get your deposit back??
As long as you cancel before the paid-in-full date (which is usually but not always 75 days) and did not book a concierge-level room, your deposit is fully refundable.
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.