Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
Mr. Baloo
Mouseketeer

Y'all leave betty alone.... I actually saw her move.... It was awesome!!! Please fix poor beti I mean yeti...

Nov '92 offsite,
Nov '00 SoG
May '02 WL,
Feb '04 BWV,
Feb '05 POFQ,
May '07 CBR,
Feb '08 POP,
Feb '09 WL,
Nov '09 DOL,
Aug '10 POLY-OKW
Apr '11 DOL
Apr '12 CSR
Dec '12 SSR
Feb '13 BCV
Dec '13 BCV - Disney Dream
Apr '15 BLT
Mr. Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~Disney is not going to fix this bear. The Yeti's swinging of arm portion lasts all of 2 nanoseconds and it appears to be swinging anyway. It wasn't until several years later on this board that I discovered it was the B-Mode Betty. It's just not considered to be a significant aspect of the coaster anymore.

~Also, Pandora is going to attract massive crowds, so all rides will need to be online.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
unfortunately, I doubt they will ever fix Betty. They haven't fixed the pterodactyl or the compys in Dinosaur, and would think they are an easy fix. I think most people have forgotten how awesome the yeti was, or never saw her in her glory day (note singular) so they never knew something was missing. What... 2 years of operation? probably not even. I think more like 1.5. Avatar land will take the focus completely off of the fact she is broken, and there will be no reason to fix. I don't want this to be true, but I think it is.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #19
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
[B][COLOR="Magenta"] It's just not considered to be a significant aspect of the coaster anymore.
Gotta agree with this. Before I took the red pill and found out about all this stuff here on the Disboards, I have to say the Yeti is not something I ever noticed was broken. When I read on this thread that it was broken, I had to look up youtube videos to be able to tell the difference.

Also, I have seen Yeti construction videos. I know how the moving Yeti is supposed to be THE thing of the ride, and how much effort they put into it, and how awesome it is.... I never felt that way. It's something you see for like less than a second. You can't see the detail in the dark or at the speed you're going. I think for most guests, seeing the Yeti projections and the broken tracks are the highlight of the ride, not the Yeti. Honestly, if the Yeti wasn't even there, I wouldn't really complain. It's not a significant part of the ride for most.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #20
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gadsden View Post
Gotta agree with this. Before I took the red pill and found out about all this stuff here on the Disboards, I have to say the Yeti is not something I ever noticed was broken. When I read on this thread that it was broken, I had to look up youtube videos to be able to tell the difference.

Also, I have seen Yeti construction videos. I know how the moving Yeti is supposed to be THE thing of the ride, and how much effort they put into it, and how awesome it is.... I never felt that way. It's something you see for like less than a second. You can't see the detail in the dark or at the speed you're going. I think for most guests, seeing the Yeti projections and the broken tracks are the highlight of the ride, not the Yeti. Honestly, if the Yeti wasn't even there, I wouldn't really complain. It's not a significant part of the ride for most.
It probably isn't to most due to the fact that they have never experienced it when it was working. For the ones who have, it changes the ride from an experience to just another ride. The cave was lit quite well, and the track gives a strong illusion that you are going to crash into the wall. Can't see that in the dark or on a video.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It probably isn't to most due to the fact that they have never experienced it when it was working. For the ones who have, it changes the ride from an experience to just another ride. The cave was lit quite well, and the track gives a strong illusion that you are going to crash into the wall. Can't see that in the dark or on a video.
I agree with this.

Not to mention, whenever you see a documentary or video about the ride they usually show the creator (Joe Rohde) saying how the Yeti is the climax of the ride.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
I agree with this.

Not to mention, whenever you see a documentary or video about the ride they usually show the creator (Joe Rohde) saying how the Yeti is the climax of the ride.
Yup-- wife and I got to hang with Joe at the adventurers club while he was working on Mt Everest. He gave us a very theatrical tale of how the ride was going to be. He said the ride starts just winding around the countryside, then builds momentum through out, culminating with the yeti almost grabbing you from the train.. It was very cool. I know people don;t like him on here, but we really enjoyed hanging. we went through all the rooms of the club with him. He was like a proud parent watching his baby in her first recital.

It also seems some of the joe haters are adventurer's club lovers-- Thanks for the AC, Joe.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

It almost surprises me a little that when venturing into new territory and building their largest animatronic to date, Disney wouldn't consider the force/leverage of making it move. Wouldn't the force exerted by the movement be something important to consider? Then again, as the first of it's size, maybe the notion didn't ever occur to anyone.

I know the yeti is supposed to make the ride become and experience and all the jazz, but I can appreciate that its a little crazy for them to disassemble the mountain just to repair a non-essential piece of the ride. However, I wouldn't be opposed to getting a good, in-person look at the exposed inside of the mountain!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #24
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:
Oh wow, well i can see how that might make it the climax of the ride.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #25
Alice Royal
Eighteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

Quote:
It's just not considered to be a significant aspect of the coaster anymore.
Tell that to the kids/young adults who saw Disco Yeti in all his former glory and nearly peed themselves because his arm got *this* close to their heads.

Yes, I am one of those, although I was about ten or twelve when it was working. I will never forget it.

Obviously, I'm not going to give myself false hope over a rumor on a message board, but for a lot of us, Betty holds a rather special place in our hearts and we want to see him fixed.

THE FAMILY
Me (18) DBF (18)
AP Holders and Proud Florida Residents since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (13)
Alice Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #26
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
~Disney is not going to fix this bear. The Yeti's swinging of arm portion lasts all of 2 nanoseconds and it appears to be swinging anyway. It wasn't until several years later on this board that I discovered it was the B-Mode Betty. It's just not considered to be a significant aspect of the coaster anymore.

~Also, Pandora is going to attract massive crowds, so all rides will need to be online.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #27
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Was there when it first opened and remember Betty fondly. It was a pretty awesome animatronic in my opinion. I honestly think they'll leave it as is due to the cost and difficulty in fixing it. The only exception would be if they took the ride down for complete maintenance and needed to "open up" the mountain anyway.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

I think the dollar amounts involved are new attraction levels...I'd rather some new D or E ticket ride, then 3 brief seconds of animatronic movement on a ride that is pretty good as it is today.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnMan View Post
a ride that is pretty good as it is today.
I can go to Worlds of Fun in Kansas City for some 'pretty good' rides.

I saw Betty shortly after she debuted, and when fully operational SHE was the true attraction, and the roller coaster was just the delivery system.

I miss the days when we could expect more from Disney, because they expected more of themselves. Now they can pour a billion dollars into glorified traffic pattern analysis system, slap the word "magic" on it and people are fine with that - even excited about the personal tracking devices.

Sorry, I kind of went on a tangent there...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Pixie Dust
ThurlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:

There are probably 1000's of details, a lot of which are even more minor then the Yeti, around WDW that you would not notice where missing if you had never seen them in the first place, but it is these very things that set Disney apart.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: