Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

I've always heard that Disco Yeti won't be fixed because it's the headline attraction at AK, & there just isn't enough to do there with Expedition Everest closed. If Avatarland opens, Disney could close Expedition Everest without much fanfare & finally fix the yeti. Even better, they could fix it sooner rather than later, so that when crowds actually start showing up at AK, the yeti is already fixed. Thoughts?
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
wdwfan757
Mouseketeer

If ever there was a time to fix the yeti, it'd be the first 6 months after avatarland opened. They should absolutely take that opportunity.
wdwfan757 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
cymonster
Earning My Ears

I doubt it as much as I want to see the yeti fix. A lot of people you go to AK don't know the yeti isn't working. From what I understand is that it would involve take apart most of the mountain which would cost a lot of money
cymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

As much as I'd like to see the Yeti working I just can't imagine Disney (or any company) closing one of their headline attractions unless it was absolutely necessary for safety or major maintenance. I've seen interviews that lead me to believe a good part of the mountain would have to be disassembled just to access the Yeti, not only does that sound incredibly time consuming but also incredibly expensive.

BTMRR at Disneyland has been closed for over a year for a refurb so it does happen but BTMRR is also 30+ years old whereas EE is only 7 years old. I'm sure at some point the Yeti will be fixed but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen for another 20 years when EE is finally due for a major refurb.

Viva Las Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
disneylover1980
Mouseketeer

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot...what's wrong with the Yeti? I am assuming it's the one at the end of the Everest ride??
disneylover1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylover1980 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a total idiot...what's wrong with the Yeti? I am assuming it's the one at the end of the Everest ride??
He (she?) is one of the largest moving animatronics Disney has built but the movement was breaking his foundation so they turned him off and he hasn't moved in years, although it's rumored he's still fully functional and turned on occasionally when an Executive or Joe Rohde are riding and request it. He's now called Disco Yeti because Disney put strobe lights on him after they turned off his movement.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Dayton Flyer
Mouseketeer

Well, we only have to wait 5 more years to find out!
Dayton Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

unfortunately, I doubt they will ever fix Betty. They haven't fixed the pterodactyl or the compys in Dinosaur, and would think they are an easy fix. I think most people have forgotten how awesome the yeti was, or never saw her in her glory day (note singular) so they never knew something was missing. What... 2 years of operation? probably not even. I think more like 1.5. Avatar land will take the focus completely off of the fact she is broken, and there will be no reason to fix. I don't want this to be true, but I think it is.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylover1980 View Post
As posted above this comment is the reason. How many people here post on broken yeti threads that they swear on their grandmother's grave that they road it last Thursday and the yeti swooped down and nearly took their head off. Aka it moved.

They don't need to fix it to keep packing them in.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
As posted above this comment is the reason. How many people here post on broken yeti threads that they swear on their grandmother's grave that they road it last Thursday and the yeti swooped down and nearly took their head off. Aka it moved.

I suspect this is right on the money....
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
Silock
DIS Veteran

Rohde said that he was going to fix it eventually. I'm guessing he meant after Avatarland opened.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

I'm now freaked out.

Something about broken amusement park rides creep me out. I've got megalophopia or something lol.

The idea of a giant broken animatronic Yeti that has shaken its foundation loose and therefore is essentially abandonned and not moving.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:

This is a very valid point, but lit leads to another question:

If rides don't need to have functioning multi-million dollar audioanimatronics in order to "pack them in", why does Disney bother building the mulit-million dollar audioanimatronics in the first place? If a statue and a strobe light look the same, why spend the extra money?
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gadsden View Post
I'm now freaked out.

Something about broken amusement park rides creep me out. I've got megalophopia or something lol.

The idea of a giant broken animatronic Yeti that has shaken its foundation loose and therefore is essentially abandonned and not moving.
Technically the ride is still 100% functional but the Yeti movement was damaging his foundation and eventually the movement could have broken it. He was turned off as a precaution, not because anything was actually broken.

No need to worry.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I just got back and can say with 100% certainty, that the Yeti was moving...nowhere.

I've never seen the in action in real life but I've seen it on video enough to know the difference. If was definitely stationary but it does seem like it's leaning down further than it used to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: