Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
BelindaBaltimore
Earning My Ears

Disney Magic 1st timer tips and sea sick

Hello

Anyone with practical tips to make this trip unforgettable?
We were told when we booked that the higher you are the better it is.... 2 kids who gets car sick (never been on a boat so it'll be a surprise)!
We will be in Deck 6.
Belinda
BelindaBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelindaBaltimore View Post
Hello

We were told when we booked that the higher you are the better it is.... 2 kids who gets car sick (never been on a boat so it'll be a surprise)!
We will be in Deck 6.
Belinda
I don't know who told you higher is better, but the general thought is lower and midship is best for less motion. It was explained to me - think of a pencil floating on water, the midpoint of the pencil will move less than the ends and higher up (away) from the pencil will move more than closer to the water line.

Don't know the ages of your kids, but I'd suggest talking to their doctor as to what motion sickness meds you should bring along.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Castaway April
Mouseketeer

My kids (6 and 2) are also car pukers as I like to call them. We have been on decks 5 and 6 and they have been fine. I did get a prescription for them for zofran from the Pediatrician just in case. They have been fine both times and we leave again next Sunday and I will bring the meds just in case. Myself, I always cruise with the patch. I had it on on the Dream during Hurricane Sandy last year and felt totally fine even coming back through the middle of it. So many people were sick the las night that the Walt Disney Theater was a landmine of puke. Obviously those were outstanding circumstances. Your body gets used to it pretty quickly and kids are even more resiliant than adults.

Magic Transatlantic 2015 Port Canaveral New York City St John's Reykjavik Oslo Copenhagen
Castaway April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
BelindaBaltimore
Earning My Ears

Thanks guys!
Will look into that patch!

Sadly our travel agent told us higher is better. I guess Deck 6 is not the highest could be worse ;-)
BelindaBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

Definitely lower is better, you don't feel motion as much down there but they are also cheaper rooms- I was on deck 2 and loved it. Deck 6 should be fine, no worries
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Just cruised for the first time ever last week on the Wonder, we were on Deck 2 and loved it. Like you, I was VERY worried about being sea sick and if you do a search on my name, you can read all my posts about it!

I tried Bonine before we went as a trial run and am so glad we did because I felt like absolute YUCK after taking it. Totally spaced and TIREEEED. Someone here suggested ginger root capsules from GNC and I bought those. I took one in the morning and one at night and felt great our whole cruise. We had very smooth seas so I don't think I would have needed anything after all. Some people swear by Sea Bands, I had those along, too, just in case. You are very smart to plan for the worst but hopefully you won't feel sick at all! Enjoy your cruise!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
tankin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
Just cruised for the first time ever last week on the Wonder, we were on Deck 2 and loved it. Like you, I was VERY worried about being sea sick and if you do a search on my name, you can read all my posts about it! I tried Bonine before we went as a trial run and am so glad we did because I felt like absolute YUCK after taking it. Totally spaced and TIREEEED. Someone here suggested ginger root capsules from GNC and I bought those. I took one in the morning and one at night and felt great our whole cruise. We had very smooth seas so I don't think I would have needed anything after all. Some people swear by Sea Bands, I had those along, too, just in case. You are very smart to plan for the worst but hopefully you won't feel sick at all! Enjoy your cruise!
I've used ginger pills on almost very cruise I've taken(after the first where I had to choose between queasy and dopey). They work great for me.
tankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

I think sea sickness affects everyone differently. On our march cruise my brother who never gets car sick was literally green the first day- the boat was swaying so much it was hard to walk. Meanwhile my mom who suffers from motion sickness and me (who gets awful car sickness just from looking down in a car) were completely fine.

The health center gave him some medicine and he wore the bracelet and was fine as soon as we hit Cozumel the next day.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Doodledogs
Mouseketeer

Has anyone tried those Dotterra oils for sea sickness? A friend suggested I try DigestZen for our cruise in Nov. I had a bit of sea sickness on our cruise last Nov. I tried the seabands, they helped some. I can't take Bonine either, it puts me to sleep!
Doodledogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Both my DD 10 and I get car sick. I also get very sick on planes and any ride that goes in circles. Even the Carrousel makes me a little dizzy. She's fine with those things. Her only problem is with carsickness.

We just took our first cruise last month (a four night on the Dream) and were both concerned we'd get sick. We both took Bonine starting several days before the cruise (we flew down a few days prior and hit the Disney parks, so it made sense).

We've both taken it before and know it works well for us, no drowsiness, and I can even ride the teacups without getting sick, as long as we don't spin them too much. Generally, I take two before bed and she takes a half. If it did cause drowsiness we'd never notice because we're sleeping anyway.

We felt motion on the first night of the cruise, but we just joked about it, no big deal. Monday through Wednesday, nothing. The last night, however, was a different story. I felt it during the show, but by the time we got to dinner (Animator's) I knew I was in trouble. I felt so bad I took two more meclizine tablets that our waiter got for us (everyone at our table was sick, except for DD, she was fine). I managed one bite of my soup and one bite of my salad before I had to go back to the room. DD was the only one at our table who ate anything that night.

I slept on the couch with the verandah door open. I would have slept on the verandah floor but I felt too awful to bother dragging a pillow and blanket out there. The only thing that helped me was the fresh air. I tried looking at the horizon as recommended, but it was dark, and there were waves so it wasn't flat, and I think seeing that motion bothered me more.

DD made her own way back to the stateroom after she finished dinner. I sent her up to the drink station to get me a coke, and then she went to the kids club by herself. I had to check her out, so I set an alarm to make sure I was up. I staggered the whole way to kids club, got her checked out before they closed, and staggered back to the room. The next morning I felt a lot better. Actually, as soon as we neared port I started to feel better, as soon as the crazy rocking stopped. I know because I was awake on and off all night, hoping each time to wake up to no movement lol.

That night, I would have paid all the money I had on me to be magically transported onto solid land. If you asked me right then, I'd have told you that I'd never cruise again. However, I had just rebooked the day before lol, and I have not canceled it. Like childbirth, the memory fades and doesn't seem so bad as time passes lol. We're talking about a seven night cruise next year.

We had three more days at Disney afterwards, and we felt weird ghost motion or whatever for about two days. I noticed it only when I sat or stood still. DD noticed it only when we were moving, contrary girl that she sometimes can be lol. It wasn't bothersome, just strange.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelindaBaltimore View Post
Hello

We will be in Deck 6.
Belinda
We have stayed on probably every deck possible over our years of cruising!

We take Meclizine (Non-drowzy Dramamine the day BEFORE we board and then daily until the day AFTER we get off the ship. We didn't our 1st cruise with our son when he was little and he puked in the dining room ...not a good experience! Lets just say we are now proactive rather then reactive 2 cruises ago we were on the Spa deck and it was rough seas...when we woke the one morning the drawers were open on the desk... it was a rough ride and none of us were sick.

Its important to prevent it before it starts.

Motion sickness is cause by a disturbance of the inner ear, the stomach side of it is an after effect of it. If you find yourself feeling ill and don't have a "Sea sickness" pill as per say just pop a cold/allergy pill. They contain alot of the same ingredients.

Mid ship has the less motion.
When booking a room remember that the deck that contains the better rooms / Suites is usually the deck that feels the least motion.

Also take Ginger pills/ Candy. It helps your stomach.

Don't waste your time on Sea Bands.
My DH is a Dr and refuses to use the "patch" (Transderm Scop) because of the interactions and side effects.
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
When booking a room remember that the deck that contains the better rooms / Suites is usually the deck that feels the least motion.
This statement is definitely NOT true on DCL.

Suites on Disney follow a pure "higher is more prestigious" thought process. On the classics they are on deck 8 and are scattered all the way from forward to aft. On the Dream class they are 11 and 12 forward which probably the place you'd feel the MOST motion on a ship.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post

Suites on Disney follow a pure "higher is more prestigious" thought process. On the classics they are on deck 8 and are scattered all the way from forward to aft. On the Dream class they are 11 and 12 forward which probably the place you'd feel the MOST motion on a ship.
I am basing this on the other 4 lines we've cruised. Our upcoming cruise is out 1st on DCL. I assumed that this would be that same. Guess not!
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post

I think most cruiselines have their "better" rooms on higher decks. It really harks back to the richer people being higher up on the ship than the lower classes.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I think most cruiselines have their "better" rooms on higher decks. It really harks back to the richer people being higher up on the ship than the lower classes.
You are correct, although as my research shows they seem to be a little more spread out on other lines. DCL's locations are more cut and dry.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: