Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
jaceraden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Yes the bald eagle is the symbol of the USA. However, the species was put on the endangered list until 1995 when it was moved to threatened where it stayed until 2007. Now it's recovered and coming back and there's a nice population in Florida.

OP - your husband was more than likely wrong about what you saw.

For everyone - see Flights of Wonder at Animal Kingdom. Hope, the featured bald eagle, never fails to get gasps from the audience.
I had no idea Bald Eagles were endangered in the US. Thank you for clarifying. If I could figure out how to share, I'd upload the pic I have of 6 Baldies and a few Golden Eagles hanging out around a dead deer.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulDisneytears View Post
I wasn't trying to sound like an idiot. =\ I literally have never seen a bald eagle outside a zoo. We have plenty of hawks around but no bald eagles!
I didn't think you sound like an idiot. We saw the bald eagle as we were approaching the DS entrance in May. We had never seen one flying free either & were so impressed. Had hoped to see it again in Sept but didn't.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #18
anabelle
Did I say that out loud?

I have seen one at EPCOT as well.
anabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

We saw one at Crescent Lake (Boardwalk area) back in 2004.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #20
DizneyNutz
DIS Veteran

I spotted one very high up in the clouds two weeks ago over DTD. On a separate trip a couple of years ago we spotted a group of 6 bald eagles circling across the street from Wal Mart on SR 535. They are definitely in the area.

[Wrong is wrong even if everybody is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."
-St. Augustine]
DizneyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
dixiegirl
sorry but those dolls really creep me out!

We have seen several over the past few years. Last year there was one circling over the castle at MK - absolutely beautiful! DH and I always notice the details and we are amazed at how many people just miss things like this - they are so absorbed in their own worlds that they miss the most beautiful things if they took a moment to breathe and look around.

POR Annual Oct trips 10/96-10/13
Next trip - 10/17/14-10/25/14 POR
dixiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
mom of princessx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't trying to sound like an idiot. =\ I literally have never seen a bald eagle outside a zoo. We have plenty of hawks around but no bald eagles!
I hadn't either and last October I saw one while in DTD. Luckily DH saw it too but our oldest DD was kind of like What's the big deal. I guess I was overly excited for her taste

ME DH DD9 DD6
mom of princessx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
Dis703
DIS Veteran

I've seen them in Florida so it doesn't seem unlikely you would see one in Disney.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Never gets old-hope we see some down there. MN has a lot now.

We have over 50 every fall in front of our house-its the last spot to freeze, and is sadly coming up soon.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post

We have over 50 every fall in front of our house-its the last spot to freeze, and is sadly coming up soon.
That is awesome (the eagle pics, not the upcoming freeze). Our neighbor spotted one in a tree on our street last week, so I'm keeping an eye out for that one (we live in E.P.). We're fairly new to MN, so I didn't realize that they were fairly common here.

To the Canadian in the post...I think most Americans are excited to spot a Bald Eagle in the wild because while they are the national bird, they were on the endangered list for so long and really were so rare until very recently. It wasn't until the last couple of years that it seems like sitings in the wild really picked up. Before that, you really only saw them in zoos in most parts of America. I was in my mid-30s before I spotted one in the wild, and I nearly drove off the road because I got so excited about it!
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #26
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida View Post
That is awesome (the eagle pics, not the upcoming freeze). Our neighbor spotted one in a tree on our street last week, so I'm keeping an eye out for that one (we live in E.P.). We're fairly new to MN, so I didn't realize that they were fairly common here.

To the Canadian in the post...I think most Americans are excited to spot a Bald Eagle in the wild because while they are the national bird, they were on the endangered list for so long and really were so rare until very recently. It wasn't until the last couple of years that it seems like sitings in the wild really picked up. Before that, you really only saw them in zoos in most parts of America. I was in my mid-30s before I spotted one in the wild, and I nearly drove off the road because I got so excited about it!
And the main reason the eagles are back is because the humans figured out one of the reasons for the decline (a pesticide called DDT which harms other wildlife but eagles especially) and regulated the use of that substance.

So yes, we are excited about finally seeing our national symbol coming back strong in our lifetime. And that they will be there for our kids and grandkids.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
ajfd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
And the main reason the eagles are back is because the humans figured out one of the reasons for the decline (a pesticide called DDT which harms other wildlife but eagles especially) and regulated the use of that substance.
Way OT, but not true.

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C06/C...icals/ddt.html
ajfd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #28
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #29
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post

I live in a fairly small town here in Texas and we have some bald eagles here too, (no where near 50, but some). I live on a corner lot and just to the left of me, across the road is a huge field with alot of trees, then about a block behind me is about 100 acres that has alot of woods and a lake, so they have plenty of food and nesting supplies. I work night shift and due to it staying dark so much later in the mornings, I usually see one or sometimes two bald eagles every morning as I pull in my driveway, across the road from my house, just sitting in the trees (just like the one you posted just above). They always make me smile. There are also alot of oppossums, armadillos, mice, squirrels, foxes, snakes, baby coyotes, and other wild birds, plus fish in the lake, so the ones I see are plump and well fed, just like the one in the last picture you posted. lol Even with a fenced in yard, I never let my small dog out after dark, because I'm afraid some wildlife might get her. Last year my neighbor bought his wife a tiny Dachshund puppy about 6 weeks old. They let it out one evening into their fenced in back yard and 30 minutes later couldn't find her. He swears one of the bald eagles or a hawk got her.

Last edited by aubriee; 10-16-2013 at 04:28 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

The bald eagle is a member of the sea and fish eagle group.

Plenty of water in Florida.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: