Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
heycher
Mouseketeer

Need help choosing resort... weekend getaway for hubby and I

Hi all!

I am going back and forth and thought what a better place to come for advice than here!

Looking at doing a 4 night getaway end of January for just me and my hubby

BUT, need some help deciding on resort. Debating between Boardwalk and AKL. We will not have a car. I have narrowed it down to these two that "feel" more adult-like? We've stayed at many of the resorts and I thought this would be a good time to try a new one to us (haven't stayed at either of these) Can you please help me weigh out the pros and cons of the following resorts for our scenario...

Animal Kingdom Lodge (standard view)

Boardwalk (standard view)

Thanks so much in advance! Any and all opinions welcome! I really really want to know the pros and cons of these 2 resorts.
heycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by heycher View Post
Hi all!

I am going back and forth and thought what a better place to come for advice than here!

Looking at doing a 4 night getaway end of January for just me and my hubby

BUT, need some help deciding on resort. Debating between Boardwalk and AKL. We will not have a car. I have narrowed it down to these two that "feel" more adult-like? We've stayed at many of the resorts and I thought this would be a good time to try a new one to us (haven't stayed at either of these) Can you please help me weigh out the pros and cons of the following resorts for our scenario...

Animal Kingdom Lodge (standard view)

Boardwalk (standard view)

Thanks so much in advance! Any and all opinions welcome! I really really want to know the pros and cons of these 2 resorts.
I prefer the Boardwalk area just because of the convenience to so many restaurant choices (Epcot, YC & BC, S/D, plus the Boardwalk area itself). You also have Jellyrolls and the Atlantic Dance Club for evening entertainment or ESPN if you're a sports junkie.

If you want a tranquil setting that makes you feel as if you're miles away from any theme park, then go for AKL. The restaurant choices are not as numerous but the atmosphere is very relaxing.

Marionnette is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I think the BWI sounds good for a couples trip. But, have you considered one of the honeymoon suites at WL? They are on CL, so you'd have that access. For some reason, I would really want to stay there if DH and I were doing an alone trip.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Definitely BW for a couples trip and if you don't have a car. So much fun over there with Epcot right there, World Showcase, all of the restaurants, just walking around...romantic
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
heycher
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I think the BWI sounds good for a couples trip. But, have you considered one of the honeymoon suites at WL? They are on CL, so you'd have that access. For some reason, I would really want to stay there if DH and I were doing an alone trip.
Wilderness Lodge was on our engagement trip, so it does hold a LOT of magic for us! But want to try something new for us. WL was engagment, Poly was honeymoon, and AoA was first trip with baby!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've never stayed at BWI, but we love AKL. As others have posted, BWI would be great for being close to night time entertainment as the boardwalk is full of activity. But with that said, AKL is out away from everything and I found it quiet and peaceful. The resort is beautiful, as are the grounds. If you will be going to Epcot and want to be close to night time entertainment, I'd go with BWI. If you want to feel a little isolated, go with AKL. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Since the clown pool at BWI totally creeps me out I suggest AKL. I've been there and it was absolutely beautiful and magical.

October 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Upcoming November 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I have stayed at both and although I love the decor at AKL, I would pick BWI a dozen times over for an adult trip. Even if you don't want to go to Jellyrolls, there are great restaurants at the Epcot area resorts that are more adult that have some wonderful lounges, all within walking distance.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Just made our room only ressies at BWI for a brief midweek stay in Feb. between our college son's baseball games in South Carolina. We were down to the BWI and WL with alot of the same differences that you are having to decide on. While we have stayed at WL and AKL, what probably made us pick BWI for this trip was the 35% off really made it even more affodable. Usually WL and AKL save us quite a bit of money over BWI but I got three nights at 267.00 a night whereas both AKL and WL were 232.00 Usually it is right about a hundred dollar difference. I figured now is the time. Oh, and did I mention my wife is a coffee freeeeeaaaaak and Boardwalk Joe's made her do double back flips!
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

If you decide to stay at AKL and book a standard room, consider asking for a Savannah upgrade at check inn. You're trip is during a low booking season, and although you shouldn't expect a complimentary upgrade, they might offer you one, or an upgrade a a reduced price. AKL (Savannah View) is my wifes 2nd favorite.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

I've stayed at both.

I find BWI the more romantic resort of the two. Strolling the boardwalk at night, sitting on one of the swings at the BC beach, and the walkway at the BWI by quiet pool is to me one of the most beautiful places in all of Disney World. I'm a sucker for big band music too, so hearing it around the hotel puts me in a whimsical/romantic mood.

There are also practical things to consider, the dining options at the Boardwalk are numerous, while AKL is very limited. Though AKL does have a food court and BWI does not. AKL has ONE pool. Combined the BWI and BWV have three. The access to the parks is way better at the BWI. The rooms are also bigger.
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

I know this was not one of the choices...but... Have you thought about POFQ - this is a smaller resort and has a more quaint feel. DH and I love to stay here when it's just the 2 of us. We book - king with river view, and request a room on the end, third floor -in building 1 - While this is not close the pool it is 3 to 5 minute walk - to the pool, reception area, and bus stop. There is a wonderful boat that takes you to DTD, great for night time activities. Also you can check out POR it is with-in a 10 minute walk, and also use the Pool and Food court over there. They also have carriage rides at night very romantic. Really nice path ways for a romantic stroll in the evenings.

Just a suggestion.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
Babsy
DIS Veteran

BWI is definitely the resort that I would choose for adults only getaway. It has the Boeardwalk for evening entertainment, walkway to Epcot and DHS, dining around the Epcot resorts and in World Showcase, wonderful rooms and a great atmosphere. Riding surrey bikes is fun, or you can rent a pontoon boat to watch Illuminations.

I believe that some standard rooms at BWI even have a view of some of the high fireworks!!

Tha AKL is nice too, but niot in the same league as the BWI, IMO. It is beautiful, relaxing and secluded - all of which make for a romantic getaway!

Enjoy!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
heycher
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTimone View Post
I know this was not one of the choices...but... Have you thought about POFQ - this is a smaller resort and has a more quaint feel. DH and I love to stay here when it's just the 2 of us. We book - king with river view, and request a room on the end, third floor -in building 1 - While this is not close the pool it is 3 to 5 minute walk - to the pool, reception area, and bus stop. There is a wonderful boat that takes you to DTD, great for night time activities. Also you can check out POR it is with-in a 10 minute walk, and also use the Pool and Food court over there. They also have carriage rides at night very romantic. Really nice path ways for a romantic stroll in the evenings.

Just a suggestion.
LOVE LOVE LOVE POFQ! And if it was a part of the room only winter sale, I certainly would have considered it. For me, it's the only moderate I will stay at. BUT, it's blocked out so I took it out of our mix! Perfect suggestion though!!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
heycher
Mouseketeer

Thanks to you all!

I want to say thank you so much to all who provided input for me. I think for us, without having a car this trip and being kid-free, BWI is the best choice for us - soo much within walking distance!

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: