Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 days on the DxDP ~ COMPLETE!

Hello everyone and welcome to my third dining report! This is a tale of two sisters who take on the World (Disney, that is) and the Deluxe Dining Plan during two weeks of WDW fun. We had a wonderful time and got to try many restaurants that were new to us. I believe we tried every Signature except one, and returned for a second visit to another. We had some incredible meals, some pleasant surprises and one experience that we both agree we'll never do again. This was our first time using the Deluxe Dining Plan, and I have to agree with those who say it's too much food, LOL! We found that it worked pretty well when we only had two meals a day, for instance a breakfast or early lunch followed by dinner between 7 and 8 PM. The days we tried to do three meals we felt overwhelmed by food. I also found we didn't relax at the resort as much as last time because it seemed we were always on our way to the next ADR. I'm glad we tried it, because it gave us the opportunity to try the Signatures and discover new favourites, but I wouldn't do it again. The regular DDP is perfect for us.

For those of you who read my last DR, you'll recall that I visited last year with my hubby for our 30th anniversary. I booked this year's trip on a bounceback offer before we left and my DH (greatest guy EVER!) encouraged me to make it another girls-only trip and visit with my sister Nancy. Nancy and I vacationed at WDW in 2011 and had a fabulous time so we were both looking forward to returning. Here we are with two friends you may recognize ...

I took lots of pictures using either my iPhone or my Sony Cybershot. I'm no photographer but I think you'll get an idea what each dish looked like.

I hope you'll join me as I relive our Disney culinary adventures!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ

Last edited by MrsB1228; 06-15-2014 at 09:51 PM.
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

*Reserved for restaurant links*

B=Breakfast L=Lunch D=Dinner

House of Blues (L)
Raglan Road (D)
Via Napoli (L)
La Cava del Tequila (Drinks)
Le Cellier (D)
50's Prime Time Cafe (L)
Hollywood Brown Derby (D, Fantasmic Package)
Yak & Yeti (L)
Jiko (D)
Raglan Road Sunday Brunch
Citrico's (D)
Food & Wine Festival Booths
Hoop De Doo Musical Review (D)
Riverside Mill (POR) (L)
California Grill Part 1 Part 2 (D)
Kona Cafe (B)
Liberty Tree Tavern (L)
Chefs de France (L)
Another Food & Wine Festival Selection
Yachtsman Steak House (D)
Crystal Palace (B)
Kona Cafe (L)
Citrico's (D)
Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory (POFQ) (L)
Flying Fish (D)
Grand Floridian Cafe (B)
Be Our Guest (D)
Restaurant Marrakesh (L)
La Hacienda de San Angel (D)
Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory (POFQ) (B)
Mama Melrose (L)
Artist Point (D)

Various Snacks

Final Thoughts and Favourites ~ Part 1 and Part 2

I'll be rating the restaurants based on a simple numerical scale of 1 - 5. 1 being the worst and 5 the best. Each dish will be rated as well as the restaurant overall. I will note my sister's rating if it differs from mine; if you see only one number, it means we agreed on the rating.

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ

Last edited by MrsB1228; 05-26-2014 at 11:07 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
bonzarella
DIS Veteran

signing on
4/08 Star Island [12/07 Xmas @ Ft. W cabins 11/07 at Bonnet Creek 10/07 at Silver Lakes F&W&W&W&W 9/07 Bouncedback w/FDP @Pop at Bonnet Creek 6/07 Bonnet Creek OKW-offsite 3/07 Proud Parents of AKV 2/07 OKW-Pirate & Princess Party 11/06-OKW-MVMCP with KB! 9/06-Pop Century/FDP/Bonnet Creek 3/06-OKW-Spring Break10/05-OKW/MNSSHP 7/05-OKW/Vero Beach/OKW 3/05-Regal Palm 10/04-DVC MEMBERS
7/04-Fort Wilderness Cabins-1st Family trip

[
bonzarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzarella View Post
signing on
Thanks for joining in, great to have you aboard!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Definitely I'm joining in!! I see a lot of great places - in fact some of my favorites! Hmmm... I wonder which one you won't do again??
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
JMBB216
Earning My Ears

I am subbing (this is all new to me - first post - hope I am doing it right).
JMBB216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Day 1: Wednesday, September 25/13

We touched down at MCO at approximately 10:15 am and headed directly to the Magical Express. We joined a long line for French Quarter and after a 10 minute wait, we boarded our motor coach and were off. Ours was the third stop after Old Key West and Saratoga Springs and we arrived at French Quarter around 11:30. Check in went quickly as I had already checked in online a few days before. Our room wasn't ready yet so we left our carry-on luggage with bell services and headed to Downtown Disney for lunch. We had a 1:15 reservation at the House of Blues.

We were there well before our reservation time, but being seated early wasn't a problem as the restaurant wasn't that busy.

After looking over the menu for a few minutes, we were ready for our first Disney food of the trip.

For our appetizers, we chose:

Cornbread with Maple Butter - jalapeno peppers and cheese.

This was good, but quite sweet and very heavy for an appetizer. We barely made a dent in it. 3/5

Voodoo Shrimp - sauteed jumbo shrimp, simmered in an amber beer reduction and served on top of jalapeno cornbread.

We obviously didn't read the description well enough because we certainly had more than our fair share of cornbread, LOL! This was delicious and the clear winner in the appetizer category. 4/5

On to the entrees:

Jambalaya - marinated chicken, spicy andouille sausage, sweet peppers and roasted green onion in a traditional jambalaya sauce.

This was Nancy's choice, she enjoyed it and said it was very flavourful. 3.5/5

I chose:

Lobster Mac & Cheese - Maine lobster meat in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with crunchy panko breadcrumbs.

This was my choice and I have to say I wasn't blown away by it. I like lobster and I like mac and cheese but I don't care for them together. I guess I'm a purist, LOL. They certainly weren't stingy, there was lots of lobster meat in there, but much of it was very rubbery. I'm a texture girl and something like that will turn me off very quickly. I give it 2.5/5 because the mac and cheese was very good, creamy and cheesy.

For dessert, we both chose the same thing.

Key Lime Pie - made with fresh key lime juice and drizzled with a fresh raspberry coulis topped with fresh whipped cream.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! This was delicious and we both give it 4/5.

Overall, House of Blues gets a 3.5 from both of us. Service was fine, our server was very friendly and kept our water glasses filled which is very important to us in the Florida heat. Would we return? Maybe sometime in the future, but there are a lot of other Downtown Disney restaurants we'd like to try first.

Up next: Dinner at Raglan Road

Last edited by MrsB1228; 06-15-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Replacing photos
Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
starousse
DIS Veteran

Joining in too. I can't wait to hear all of your reviews. What a great lineup!
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Definitely I'm joining in!! I see a lot of great places - in fact some of my favorites! Hmmm... I wonder which one you won't do again??
Hi Brenda and thanks for joining in! I know you've enjoyed some wonderful meals in some of the restaurants we visited, and I now understand why some of them have the loyal following they do. As to which one we won't repeat ... stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBB216 View Post
I am subbing (this is all new to me - first post - hope I am doing it right).
You did it perfectly and I'm so glad you decided to join in!

Old 10-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Joining in!
, so glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
Joining in too. I can't wait to hear all of your reviews. What a great lineup!
Thanks so much for joining in!

Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

You're kicking this off with a place we've never tried. I'm a cornbread lover for sure so it sounds good but it does look huge.

I'm a lazy shrimp eater and like for the tails to be removed if it is anything other than a shrimp cocktail. The shrimp dish does look tasty with the tomatoes.

I've not had lobster mac & cheese but I am rather like you and know that I like the traditional version without lobster wreaking it.

At least dessert was great!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
disneymom06
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to your reviews. We are headed down for the holidays and many of your choices are our choices.
disneymom06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
iwasdaisy
Mouseketeer

Subscribing

Summer 2000 College Program
Summer 2007 BW with DH
Beach Club June 2010
WL February 2014
iwasdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Wow the food at House of Blues looks great!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: