Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
GervaisCouple
Mouseketeer

AKL or POR

Hi,

We are doing one night at WDW before our cruise this January...we have an opportunity to choose between AKL or POR where price is practically the same. Any thoughts?

We fly in around noon...we are renting a car.
We are NOT visiting the parks, but currently have reservations at 4:30 for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue...other than that, our plans are to just hang out...swim weather permitting, etc. If we were at POR, I thought we might visit Downtown Disney if we had nothing else to do...but it is not required (and since we have a car, we can do anything we want). Have never stayed at a moderate resort...always Deluxe. Have never stayed at AKL - it is gorgeous and always wanted to try...but a bit off the beaten path. Thought it might be perfect for this one nighter since we will have a car, etc. With this limited stay and our Hoop Dee Doo plans, will we still be able to take advantage of the animal viewing at AKL? We are considering a Savannah room...will that be worth it? What times are the animals around?

THANKS
GervaisCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Animals can be seen in the morning, in the end of the afternoon/evening. Everytime we came back from the park around 11:00 pm, there wer 4-5 giraffes eating right in front of our balcony. Magical.

From my experience: Yes, a savannah room (especially Arusha) is worth it. We had breakfast on the balcony in the morning, watching the animals...
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
ohfiddlesticks
Earning My Ears

I've never stayed at AKL, but love POR! Wandering around the grounds is so peaceful!

ohfiddlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GervaisCouple View Post
Hi,

We are doing one night at WDW before our cruise this January...we have an opportunity to choose between AKL or POR where price is practically the same. Any thoughts?

We fly in around noon...we are renting a car.
We are NOT visiting the parks, but currently have reservations at 4:30 for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue...other than that, our plans are to just hang out...swim weather permitting, etc. If we were at POR, I thought we might visit Downtown Disney if we had nothing else to do...but it is not required (and since we have a car, we can do anything we want). Have never stayed at a moderate resort...always Deluxe. Have never stayed at AKL - it is gorgeous and always wanted to try...but a bit off the beaten path. Thought it might be perfect for this one nighter since we will have a car, etc. With this limited stay and our Hoop Dee Doo plans, will we still be able to take advantage of the animal viewing at AKL? We are considering a Savannah room...will that be worth it? What times are the animals around?

THANKS
I would go with AKL (especially if it's the same price as POR). We've never stayed at POR, but we love AKL. We've had both a pool view and savanna view and while I did love the savanna view, I enjoyed the pool view just as much. With that said, it is pretty awesome watching animals from your balcony.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
TJA
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both. I think for your situation (no parks), AKL is a great choice for you. Enjoy the resort, animals, and the secluded feel of the resort in general.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
EvilQueenT
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at both and love them both. With all other things equal I'd choose akl...why pass up staying deluxe over moderate if your pricing is the same. The only time I don't like staying at akl (or the allstars for that matter) is the location and therefore bus times but if you have a car that factor is gone. Which ever you choose I'm sure you'll like it...we certainly love them both.
EvilQueenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Price practically the same? NO question - AKL! It is the perfect spot for a short, no-park stay. ( It is also perfect for a long 10 day ~ going to the parks ~ stay ). AKL is a vacation spot within a vacation.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I think AKL is the perfect choice if you plan on not visiting any parks, so much to see at AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

I love POR and have never stayed at AKL. In your situation, I'd pick AKL. The price difference for a long stay may add up but for one night it can't be bad and you say there isn't much difference to begin with. Based on the other posts regarding the animals being viewable while you are there and unique features makes it very appealing. Also, with a car, you can get around to any of the other places very easily.
Day-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Babsy
DIS Veteran

The same price: stay deluxe at AKL!!! If you ren't going to the parks the remaote location isn't even an issue!

Definitely stay AKL!! You will love it there. Jiko or Boma for dinner are great dining experiences too!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
BuzzLiteyear
To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at the Contemporary Resort!

Location: 978.19 miles just East of due North of CR (1161 by roads)

Those are two of my favorite resorts at WDW. Given the choice and the fact that the price is almost the same I'd go with AKL in a heartbeat.
BuzzLiteyear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
akl, por

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: