Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

WWYD at WDW for 10 days??

We will be going to WDW for 12 days staying at WL and the only other other thing we have going on is 1 day at Universal with admission to both parks and the front of the line pass. We are going with a group of 15, 4 of them will be 5 and all the rest will be adults. Our dates are the day after Thanksgiving (no black friday for me lol) to Dec 10. One of my sisters wants to maybe go to another theme park, but with me taking a total of 5, two are my adult kids, hubby and our 5 year old DS. This trip is costing me a bit already, adding another theme park would probably cost me another $500-$700 depending on what we chose.

My question is what is there to do at WL? We plan on renting boats one afternoon and maybe bikes (just sounds fun) WL looks like it has a great pool, do they offer activities like AKL? We have access to Disneyquest with our passes, ideas on what to at WDW or at WL to get the most out our trip and so that I do not feel like 12 days at WDW is to much for my family. Can we ride bike to FW and see what they have to offer there?

Thank goodness our meals are included from Dec 2nd until we leave. We had to book 2 separate rezies for this pin we got because it started on Dec 2nd for the free dinning.

DH DSME

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Cubicleprisoner
Mouseketeer

I would splurge and go to Sea World for a day. The first 3 weeks of December are the best time of the year to visit Sea World because their holiday decorations and shows are so cool and different from all the other Orlando theme parks. You should go on You Tube and check out: Sea of Trees, Sea World's holiday fireworks/laser show, and the ice dancers. Crowds are low on Mondays through Thursdays.
Cubicleprisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
wergoin2camouse
Earning My Ears

If you do go to sea world.. You should check to see if they still offer the buy a day *get in all week free * option!

But... Disney...! I suggest disney quest for kiddos (and some adult time) And downtown disney! They have dance parties and bands all the time... Checkout the week you will be there for activities and plan a couple trips down to visit! My boys are 10 and 12 .. And that's their favorite!

Bowling was a blast... It's and hour for $20.00 ... But... You could let kiddos bowl and parents veg around tables to watch ! Cheapest dinner you will find at disney... Pizza for $under $15.00!

We did the sea racers in August... They were a blast! Take a watch...no concept of time while your out riding!!

Take a soft toss ball for pool fun! (Can't be a tennis ball)

Take kids over to poly for a DOLE WHIP! Play on beach and swing in hammocks while water parade goes by! My fav! They do marshmallows about same time too!

Have a blast! Time will be your friend... Don't rush... It will be so much more fun!
wergoin2camouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wergoin2camouse View Post
If you do go to sea world.. You should check to see if they still offer the buy a day *get in all week free * option!

But... Disney...! I suggest disney quest for kiddos (and some adult time) And downtown disney! They have dance parties and bands all the time... Checkout the week you will be there for activities and plan a couple trips down to visit! My boys are 10 and 12 .. And that's their favorite!

Bowling was a blast... It's and hour for $20.00 ... But... You could let kiddos bowl and parents veg around tables to watch ! Cheapest dinner you will find at disney... Pizza for $under $15.00!

We did the sea racers in August... They were a blast! Take a watch...no concept of time while your out riding!!

Take a soft toss ball for pool fun! (Can't be a tennis ball)

Take kids over to poly for a DOLE WHIP! Play on beach and swing in hammocks while water parade goes by! My fav! They do marshmallows about same time too!

Have a blast! Time will be your friend... Don't rush... It will be so much more fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicleprisoner View Post
I would splurge and go to Sea World for a day. The first 3 weeks of December are the best time of the year to visit Sea World because their holiday decorations and shows are so cool and different from all the other Orlando theme parks. You should go on You Tube and check out: Sea of Trees, Sea World's holiday fireworks/laser show, and the ice dancers. Crowds are low on Mondays through Thursdays.
Sea World is offering $50 ticket if you go M-F so maybe we will do that, I didn't know they decorated for Christmas.

Where do you go bowling?? Poly sounds fun!

DH DSME

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Disneylifeforme
Mouseketeer

Disney has lots of free stuff and entertainment at resorts!
Disneylifeforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
Babsy
DIS Veteran

I would relax and have the time of my life! Just doing whatever I wanted - there is so much to do. With 10days you will have time to do the little things, like sleeping in and swimming.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
kmb584
DIS Veteran

As another posted mentioned, Sea World is a good option. You can often find highly discounted tickets that come with perks. Another option, albeit more expensive, is to purchase the Orlando FlexTicket. It's around $300 for an adult and includes unlimited 14-day admission to both Universal parks, SeaWorld, Aquatica, Wet and Wild. Discounted FlexTickets can be purchased at Undercover Tourist.

Definitely take advantage of the downtime to explore the resorts and enjoy all of the Christmas decorations. DTD is a good way to pass some of the days and nights. Go swimming, rent a boat, etc.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
monica9
Mouseketeer

we went 12 days last year and stayed at WL. We went at the same time as you and we stayed the first two days at the renaissance hotel actross from Seaworld (great hotel by the way!). Seaworld is AMAZING near christmas. Something I will tell everyone they should see at least once. The shows are great and its just a great atmosphere.

YOu can also take a day to go to disney quest or mini golf. Maybe go shop at outlets or just hang at downtown disney for the day and visit boardwalk inn.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
wergoin2camouse
Earning My Ears

Bowling was at the new Lanes in downtown disney ... Towards the La nouba tent!
wergoin2camouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

Ten days at Disney is my preferred trip length. In fact, I am leaving Friday for ten days.

It gives me the freedom to relax, and take things slowly, but still do everything I want to do. I usually do a park at RD, then take a break in the afternoon, then maybe out to a park for the evening.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that park hours are a little shorter than other times of the year. You will probably have long hours that first weekend after Thanksgiving, but on MVMCP days the MK will close at 7. AK will likely close at 5. Epcot till 9 as usual. DHS can vary.

There are great special things going on at WDW around that time. Candlelight Processional, the holiday storytellers around World Showcase, Osborne lights, the decorations at the resorts. I encourage you to go to the different resorts to see what they have on display. Especially the full size gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian, if they are still doing that.

Last time I was there in December the Wilderness Lodge had a hand bell choir in the lobby in the evenings. Maybe not for everyone, but I just love that kind of stuff.
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
I would relax and have the time of my life! Just doing whatever I wanted - there is so much to do. With 10days you will have time to do the little things, like sleeping in and swimming.
This exactly.

Our trips are 11 days every year, and we actually relax on our trips. We spend a lot of time at the resort, swimming, napping...etc...

It's like we are just having a relaxing vacation and then when we get bored, we go to the parks. It's so nice!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Belle83
DIS Veteran

If you can swing Sea World, their Christmas decorations are better than Universal and Disney's. I have pics in my trip report in my signature.

If it's not too much extra $, I would get rid of the park-to-park access at Universal and instead add a 2nd day at the parks.

As far as Disney stuff goes...
- Mini Golf
- Walk around the Boardwalk area
- Disney Quest
- Swimming
- Movies at your hotel (outdoors)
- Bowling
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

On our first trip we were there 11 days (9 park days) and we went to each Disney park once, Sea World, Island of Adventure, Universal, Typhoon Lagoon and a Downtown Disney day with Disney Quest and Cirque.

The second trip where we took the kids we did each Disney park except Ak once, Sea Word, US, IOA, Discovery Cove and Busch Gardens.

There is now way I would stay in Orlando 10 or 12 days and only do Disney parks. And there is no Disney park we have ever wanted to do twice in one trip.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb584 View Post
As another posted mentioned, Sea World is a good option. You can often find highly discounted tickets that come with perks. Another option, albeit more expensive, is to purchase the Orlando FlexTicket. It's around $300 for an adult and includes unlimited 14-day admission to both Universal parks, SeaWorld, Aquatica, Wet and Wild. Discounted FlexTickets can be purchased at Undercover Tourist.

Definitely take advantage of the downtime to explore the resorts and enjoy all of the Christmas decorations. DTD is a good way to pass some of the days and nights. Go swimming, rent a boat, etc.
If you get the ultimate flex ticket it also comes with entry into Busch Gardens.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

You could sleep in, do some activities at WL, then take the boat to Fort Wilderness. You can walk around the camping sites to see the decorations. Then go the Chip and Dale sing-along, roast marshmallows, then watch an outdoor movie. End the night back on the beach by the boat dock and see the fireworks and Electrical Water Pageant.

Fort wilderness is the absolute most-Christmas-y resort because of the camper decorations. You must go there since you'll be so close.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: