Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
I agree with others, the hot tap in the bathroom should be plenty to warm the bottle in a pinch. I'd avoid the bottle warmer if at all possible to preserve space in the stateroom.

(FWIW, we learned our lesson with DD and warm bottles and having to find a heat source when we weren't at home. When DS came along he never got a warm bottle so he never learned to refuse cold or room temperature. It made a huge difference when travelling and never caused a sleep or comfort problem. He actually sleeps much better than his sister and has done since he was born.)

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
I really hope I didn't speak too soon about starting a debate. I know NOW that warming a baby's milk can cause them to refuse cold milk, but as first time parents, you do whatever you can just to get by, and what you think is best at the time. And now, we have a child who doesn't like cold milk. And again, we're not really wanting to overcome that hurdle on the Disney cruise - I just wanted to know what our options are for warming bottles on board the ship. It's good to know that we have several options. Thank you everyone for the information.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
That's why I deleted my post
LOL! I figured as much after i saw that it'd been deleted. And If I'd seen that you'd deleted it before I responded (you were deleting while I was replying. LOL), I wouldn't have written that post. But anyway... no harm done. Thank you everyone for the information.
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
(FWIW, we learned our lesson with DD and warm bottles and having to find a heat source when we weren't at home. When DS came along he never got a warm bottle so he never learned to refuse cold or room temperature. It made a huge difference when travelling and never caused a sleep or comfort problem. He actually sleeps much better than his sister and has done since he was born.)
JFTR, my warm-milk drinker is my third and I had no issues weaning from warm to cold with my first two... so, imo and experience, doing the same thing from child to child may not always have the same results! Just like my sister and I were raised in the same house with the same parents and had the same friends and while she enjoys wine, I prefer beer!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makayna View Post
I really hope I didn't speak too soon about starting a debate. I know NOW that warming a baby's milk can cause them to refuse cold milk, but as first time parents, you do whatever you can just to get by, and what you think is best at the time.
Not intending to start a debate, either, which is why I used "for what it's worth" and shared our experience for future parents, all AFTER agreeing with previous suggestions for how to warm a bottle in a stateroom without making a baby wait longer than needed. Been there, done that, totally understand the situation.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
carol999
Earning My Ears

I'm not sure if you can get them over there, but in Aus you can get these travel earners which are like a gel thing which you snap the thing in it so that it warms and you wrap it around the bottle. They are small and easy to pack. Toys R Us have them here so may have them over there too?
carol999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #21
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Warm milk helps put her to sleep better. She takes cold liquids during the day no problem (she's 15 months), but doesn't like cold milk one bit. We can't get her to drink it to save our lives! So in order to ensure that she's getting the amount of milk she needs, and to help her get a little sleepier before bedtime, we like to give her a bottle of warm milk before putting her down. It works for us. I know soon, we'll start phasing out the bottles completely, but I'd rather work on that AFTER our trip, not during or before.

So that leads me to my next question... can I bring a container of whole milk (unopened) onto the ship? Or, is there somewhere I can get whole milk (for free) whenever I need it? TIA :goodbibes
We have ordered a carafe of warm millk delivered by room service on our last two cruises.
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #22
TeamH5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you for the responses. We will definitely use the hot water at the drink station at naptime and bedtime. But if she wakes up in the middle of the night, I doubt my husband wants to go to the drink station in his pj's. So in that situation, we'll either use the hot tap water or do the carafe thing. Thank you all!
Ok, you might think I'm crazy for suggesting this, but here's what I used to do with my twins. I'd make their middle of the night bottles before we went to sleep around 10, and use semi-cold water. I'd just set it in the corner of their cribs so at 2 a.m. I just had to walk in there and give it to them,by that time it would be tepid, or room temp. We checked everything out and nothing said letting it sit like that caused bacterial growth or anything, and it was a fresh clean bottle every night. They drank it (room temp) and a nice side effect was we ended up training them to know where it was and eventually they started reaching for it themselves and left us completely out of the equation. Lol

All I'm saying is use room temp water. That way you don't have to worr about going to the drink station at 2 a.m., or calling room services the night prior, or whatever. Won't kill the baby to have room temp milk instead of warm. If it's expressed breast milk, take it out before going to bed so it will be room temp when served. If you think about it breast milk isn't necessarily heated up upon serving...
DH ME DD-6 DD-6 DS-5 & #4 on the way sometime late April 2014

Disney newbies:
Lived the Dream January 2012
WDW AoA August 2013
Waitin for the Magic WBTA Sept 2014
TeamH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamH5 View Post
If you think about it breast milk isn't necessarily heated up upon serving...
Typically, breast milk is "served" at a warm 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit

Last edited by gigi1313; 10-13-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
Not sure why you're attributing the quote in your post to me. I didn't say that?

Last edited by Meghatron; 10-13-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not sure why you're attributing the quote in your post to me. I didn't say that?

Ooh, I don't know either... I used the "quote" feature on the post and it obviously had a mind of its own! I will edit!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #26
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ooh, I don't know either... I used the "quote" feature on the post and it obviously had a mind of its own! I will edit!
LOL maybe DISboards is haunted for Halloween season! Thanks.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
DL1957
DIS Veteran

My niece has questions regarding a sterilizer. Since I don't have any children I am guessing this is different from the warmer. Does anyone know if they have these on the ship? Son will be 9 months old during the cruise. Thanks for the help!
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
My niece has questions regarding a sterilizer. Since I don't have any children I am guessing this is different from the warmer. Does anyone know if they have these on the ship? Son will be 9 months old during the cruise. Thanks for the help!
Yes, there are a limited number of sterilizers onboard. Get them from Guest Services.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #29
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, there are a limited number of sterilizers onboard. Get them from Guest Services.
Thank you
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #30
TeamH5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Not to far off from tepid tap water. Whenever I pumped my milk was never any warmer than 'room temp'. Granted i never stuck a thermometer in to test it, but it never 'felt' any warmer than when I would make a bottle of formula with tepid water. Maybe I don't run a typical 98.6? Lol
DH ME DD-6 DD-6 DS-5 & #4 on the way sometime late April 2014

Disney newbies:
Lived the Dream January 2012
WDW AoA August 2013
Waitin for the Magic WBTA Sept 2014
TeamH5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: