Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Warming a baby's bottle

So, I've called DCL 3 times, and in typical DCL fashion, I've gotten 3 different answers regarding bottle warmers on board the ship.

"No, bottle warmers are not allowed. No, there are not bottle warmers on board the ship. No there are not coffee makers in the rooms." (If we had a coffee maker, we could just brew hot water and use a cup of hot water to warm the bottle - done it tons of times in hotels.)

"No, bottle warmers are not allowed. Yes, there are bottle warmers available on board the ship at guest services. Yes, there are coffee makers in the rooms."

"No, bottle warmers are not allowed. Yes, there are bottle warmers available on board the ship at guest services. No, there are not coffee makers in the rooms."

So, the only thing that was consistent was that bottle warmers are not allowed (and the DCL website said they're not allowed, so we're not bringing one).

I don't remember from our last cruise whether or not there was a coffee maker in our room because neither my husband nor I drink coffee and we didn't have a child last time we cruised. But now, we have a baby and will need a way to warm our baby's bottles.

So, are there bottle warmers at guest services?
If so, how many?
Are there coffee makers in the rooms (Dream)?
If there are bottle warmers and we're not one of the lucky few to get one from guest services, what have others done to warm bottles? We only need warm water at night, and we understand that we can request hot water from room service, but when the baby's ready to go to sleep, I'd rather not wait for room services.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Yes, there are bottle warmers on board. My sister got one from guest services in May on the Magic. I remember her having to clean it as she said it was a little dirty. No coffee makers in the cabin. I think there was a $50 deposit for it. She got the bottle warmer half way through the cruise as she didn't know they had them, before that, she was warming the bottle under the hot water in the sink in the bathroom.
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
mchandler76
Earning My Ears

They say that you can order a carafe of coffee from room service in the evening and it will still be hot the next morning. If so, then you could order a carafe of hot water ahead of time and it should stay hot until you are ready for it.
mchandler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makayna View Post
So, I've called DCL 3 times, and in typical DCL fashion, I've gotten 3 different answers regarding bottle warmers on board the ship.

"No, bottle warmers are not allowed. No, there are not bottle warmers on board the ship. No there are not coffee makers in the rooms." (If we had a coffee maker, we could just brew hot water and use a cup of hot water to warm the bottle - done it tons of times in hotels.)

"No, bottle warmers are not allowed. Yes, there are bottle warmers available on board the ship at guest services. Yes, there are coffee makers in the rooms."

"No, bottle warmers are not allowed. Yes, there are bottle warmers available on board the ship at guest services. No, there are not coffee makers in the rooms."

So, the only thing that was consistent was that bottle warmers are not allowed (and the DCL website said they're not allowed, so we're not bringing one).

I don't remember from our last cruise whether or not there was a coffee maker in our room because neither my husband nor I drink coffee and we didn't have a child last time we cruised. But now, we have a baby and will need a way to warm our baby's bottles.

So, are there bottle warmers at guest services?
If so, how many?
Are there coffee makers in the rooms (Dream)?
If there are bottle warmers and we're not one of the lucky few to get one from guest services, what have others done to warm bottles? We only need warm water at night, and we understand that we can request hot water from room service, but when the baby's ready to go to sleep, I'd rather not wait for room services.
Yes, there are a limited number of bottle warmers at Guest Services. Don't have an actual number.

No coffeemakers in the rooms (unless MAYBE Concierge has them?)

If you can't wait for room service, you can get hot water at the drink station and bring it back to your room. I'd suggest bringing a thermal cup (large) along on the cruise to keep it warmer. I'll also point out that the hot water from the tap in the room is really hot (at least in my experience).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, there are a limited number of bottle warmers at Guest Services. Don't have an actual number.

No coffeemakers in the rooms (unless MAYBE Concierge has them?)

If you can't wait for room service, you can get hot water at the drink station and bring it back to your room. I'd suggest bringing a thermal cup (large) along on the cruise to keep it warmer. I'll also point out that the hot water from the tap in the room is really hot (at least in my experience).
This. I got it for tea several times. The drink station is open 24 hrs a day. Just got get it when you want it.

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Thank you for the responses. We will definitely use the hot water at the drink station at naptime and bedtime. But if she wakes up in the middle of the night, I doubt my husband wants to go to the drink station in his pj's. So in that situation, we'll either use the hot tap water or do the carafe thing. Thank you all!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for the responses. We will definitely use the hot water at the drink station at naptime and bedtime. But if she wakes up in the middle of the night, I doubt my husband wants to go to the drink station in his pj's. So in that situation, we'll either use the hot tap water or do the carafe thing. Thank you all!
nm

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 10-12-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
LILRERE
Mouseketeer

When we cruised with my son on RC they were wonderful about warming his bottle. At dinner they would literally bring my son's bottle back to the table on a silver platter every night And this was on a not as kid friendly cruise so I would assume that Disney will do the same! We did get cups of hot water at the drink stations and put his bottle in a bowl of hot water during the day! On trips I even ran really hot water in the sink and just put the bottle under it! Try not to stress and just enjoy!!
Serenade of the Seas 2007
Independence of the Seas 2009
Majesty of the Seas 2011
Disney Dream Feb 2014

Disney Vacation 2005
Disney Vacation 2011
Mini Disney Vacation 2012
LILRERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Makayna

Quote:
nm
Warm milk helps put her to sleep better. She takes cold liquids during the day no problem (she's 15 months), but doesn't like cold milk one bit. We can't get her to drink it to save our lives! So in order to ensure that she's getting the amount of milk she needs, and to help her get a little sleepier before bedtime, we like to give her a bottle of warm milk before putting her down. It works for us. I know soon, we'll start phasing out the bottles completely, but I'd rather work on that AFTER our trip, not during or before.

So that leads me to my next question... can I bring a container of whole milk (unopened) onto the ship? Or, is there somewhere I can get whole milk (for free) whenever I need it? TIA :goodbibes
Old 10-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Warm milk helps put her to sleep better. She takes cold liquids during the day no problem (she's 15 months), but doesn't like cold milk one bit. We can't get her to drink it to save our lives! So in order to ensure that she's getting the amount of milk she needs, and to help her get a little sleepier before bedtime, we like to give her a bottle of warm milk before putting her down. It works for us. I know soon, we'll start phasing out the bottles completely, but I'd rather work on that AFTER our trip, not during or before.

So that leads me to my next question... can I bring a container of whole milk (unopened) onto the ship? Or, is there somewhere I can get whole milk (for free) whenever I need it? TIA :goodbibes
Milk is included in the cruisefare. You can get cartons of it in the buffet, or out of the dispenser at the drink station.

Or order it in the MDRs, as well as from Room Service.

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 10-12-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Makayna

Quote:
Milk is included in the cruisefare. You can get cartons of it in the buffet, or out of the dispenser at the drink station.

Or order it in the MDRs, as well as from Room Service.
Cool! Thanks!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

We did the hot water in the sink thing, as well as the carafe of water thing... Bringing a large thermal cup would have been brilliant!
P.S. my five year old will still not drink cold milk unless its chocolate... It's his "thing" so, we still warm his milk...
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

I agree with others, the hot tap in the bathroom should be plenty to warm the bottle in a pinch. I'd avoid the bottle warmer if at all possible to preserve space in the stateroom.

(FWIW, we learned our lesson with DD and warm bottles and having to find a heat source when we weren't at home. When DS came along he never got a warm bottle so he never learned to refuse cold or room temperature. It made a huge difference when travelling and never caused a sleep or comfort problem. He actually sleeps much better than his sister and has done since he was born.)

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Makayna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
We did the hot water in the sink thing, as well as the carafe of water thing... Bringing a large thermal cup would have been brilliant!
P.S. my five year old will still not drink cold milk unless its chocolate... It's his "thing" so, we still warm his milk...
I'm glad this didn't start a huge debate. I know giving a 15 month old bottles of warm milk to help her get ready for bed can be quite the area of debate. But I figure everyone's got their thing... some parents give their kids whatever foods they want, regardless of age, and don't make them try new foods; some parents let their 9 year olds ride in strollers at the parks (I know that's been a huge topic of debate on other sections of this forum). I figure everyone's got their battles that they choose to fight or not fight. I'm sure at some point, we'll have to tackle putting our daughter down without a bottle of warm milk... but a Disney cruise isn't the time or place that I want to approach that hurdle.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm glad this didn't start a huge debate. I know giving a 15 month old bottles of warm milk to help her get ready for bed can be quite the area of debate. But I figure everyone's got their thing... some parents give their kids whatever foods they want, regardless of age, and don't make them try new foods; some parents let their 9 year olds ride in strollers at the parks (I know that's been a huge topic of debate on other sections of this forum). I figure everyone's got their battles that they choose to fight or not fight. I'm sure at some point, we'll have to tackle putting our daughter down without a bottle of warm milk... but a Disney cruise isn't the time or place that I want to approach that hurdle.
That's why I deleted my post I didn't want it to sound like I was questioning your parenting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: