Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

Opinions on Stormalong Bay

Is Stormalong Bay worth the extra money? We are planning on a split stay, first 4nights at either SSR or OKW and then 5 nights at AKV our Disney home I would love to stay at Beach Club Villas and be able to spend time at Stormalong Bay but it's $540 more vs staying the 4 nights at SSR or OKW....I'm trying to stay within budget the best I can but willing to spend some extra money if it's worth it

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
TeamSy
Mouseketeer

If it's a great pool you're looking for - yes, it's worth it. It's definitely the most unique and best pool complex within any Disney Resort (my opinion). I find most of the other pools at Disney hotels very "eh" and not impressive.

With that said, if there's a budget issue, there are a lot of offsite hotels that are far cheaper with just as great pools.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBliss7 View Post
Is Stormalong Bay worth the extra money? We are planning on a split stay, first 4nights at either SSR or OKW and then 5 nights at AKV our Disney home I would love to stay at Beach Club Villas and be able to spend time at Stormalong Bay but it's $540 more vs staying the 4 nights at SSR or OKW....I'm trying to stay within budget the best I can but willing to spend some extra money if it's worth it
Everyone's opinion is different and while we enjoyed trying SAB, it isn't worth an extra $540 to me (but that's just my opinion). The BC is nice and SAB is a nice pool, but it's not one of our favorites and there are quite a few others we prefer. With that said, if the extra cost is doable and you want to try BCV as well as SAB, I say give it a try as you won't know if it's worth it to you until you try it for yourself. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Unless your children are excellent swimmers, you will be all over the place watching them. You won't want to let the younger ones out of your sight. There are some very deep areas in SAB (eight feet deep or more) with a swift current. And the deep areas come on very suddenly if you don't know where they are. The area for the little ones, shallow play areas with a kiddie slide, is on the YC side. The big slide is across the sidwalk from the Beach Club, as are the sinking sands and other areas.

You may need a few more adults to keep an eye on the younger kids.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

For DH & I it wasn't worth the extra money. We tried the lazy river which is what I really, really wanted to do, but it was so much more than I could handle. The hot tubs were always full & the regular pool was quite busy. We did enjoy the quiet pool, but overall if that's the reason you're choosing to stay there I'd try a different hotel. We chose it because we were doing Food & Wine & having quite a few family members getting together.

Enjoy your vacation.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

Hmm maybe I'll try a different resort...I've always wanted a theme park view at BLT!! When it comes to the pools my kids are most interested in the slides thy have. They love AKV pools especially at Kidani. If SAB isn't much better then the other pools then I think I'd rather spend our money at a new resort like BLT or BW..

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I own at BCV and have stayed there more than the other DVC resorts. As an adult I don't think SAB is worth it. My grand kids think it's great. They like it much better than the AKV/AKL pools but they are both very strong swimmers and are old enough to cross the public sidewalk unsupervised to use the slide.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBliss7 View Post
When it comes to the pools my kids are most interested in the slides thy have.
IMHO, BW has the best slide on property.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
isaboo
Mouseketeer

It is a fantastic pool but my weird kids complained about the sand. We're not beach people I guess!

isaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
weswife
DIS Veteran

Hello, for our family it is worth the extra $$. We loved our stay at BC! My family enjoyed the pool. My DD is disabled and loved the size of the pool and the waterfalls! I do not swim so I did not go in the deep end, which is clearly marked. My DH enjoyed the lazy river. I do agree its a big pool and you have to watch your kids. I do like the sandbar, the kids can sit and play. Parents can relax the water is shallow. Its a beautiful spot!

We also enjoy the location of the BC! We like being able to walk to Epcot. We also walked from HS! We are returning this year!

Have a wonderful vacation!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

I am an adult...well sort of...and love SAB. It all comes down to money. If you plan to return soon (especially during off peak times) you will most certainly find cheaper prices at the clubs and could opt to go there then.

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #12
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

I did not like SAB. At all. I think it would be great for older kids or very little kids. But for my age kids (who are around the same age as your older kids), it was awful for us. I hated the way the stairs to the slide was all the way across the public path. It meant one of us had to get them over to the stairs and the other would wait and spot the pool. So annoying.

I found the layout extremely confusing. It was SO crowded, couldn't find a seat ever. I didn't like the way the QS food was all the way outside and it felt like I had to walk a mile back in around all of the ropes.

I would pick a regular deluxe pool with a water slide any day over SAB. Now I could see that for older kids, it would be fun. And little kids who would like the sand.

I love the OKW pool by the way, we love that slide and it's very relaxing and peaceful.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #13
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Unless your children are excellent swimmers, you will be all over the place watching them. You won't want to let the younger ones out of your sight. There are some very deep areas in SAB (eight feet deep or more) with a swift current. And the deep areas come on very suddenly if you don't know where they are. The area for the little ones, shallow play areas with a kiddie slide, is on the YC side. The big slide is across the sidwalk from the Beach Club, as are the sinking sands and other areas.

You may need a few more adults to keep an eye on the younger kids.
Yes, this, exactly.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
jimandami
DIS Veteran

I think it's a very cool pool in theory. However, I did find it a bit stressful with a 4 and 9 year-old. The 9 year-old wanted me to do the lazy river and slide with him, while the 4 year-old only wanted to play in the sand. A couple times, DH wasn't with me (doing laundry, whatever) and it was difficult to manage because the pool is just so big. It wasn't very relaxing from my perspective. My DS9 did like the slide but he declared the OKW slide more fun later in the week because it was faster. I know some people don't enjoy the BLT pool because it's a bit small, but we loved it! You can easily keep track of your children and the slide is pretty cool. Plus, you can use the CR pool as well. My favorite pool is probably either of the pools at AKV though!
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #15
BJSforVols
Mouseketeer

For me, it's not worth the extra cost if that is the only reason you would be choosing the Beach or Yacht club.

It was a nice pool and it's very large. The problem for us was we didn't really make good use of the pool. We spent most of our time in the parks or downtown Disney. We did dedicate one afternoon/evening to swimming at Storm along bay, but we had to plan it into the trip to make time for it.

We chose Beach Club for many reasons, but the pool was one of the factors that helped us choose the Beach Club. The pool would not be anything we considered in making our choice now unless the pool at a resort was scheduled to be closed.
BJSforVols is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: