Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Avatar land details have been released includes new night time AK show!

Disney has released some details about the controversial expansion of the largest park in disney world. The park is getting a large expansion with the help of the avatar films and Tom Staggs released photo rendering of what it will look like at the D23 expo in Japan. Along with expansion will come a new night time water and light show at the animal kingdom with projections on the tree of life. A night time show has been rumored for a few months now.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...nimal-kingdom/

What do you guys think? Does this change what you thought before? What about an AK night time show?

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
hrt2hrtmomdeb
Mouseketeer

I was never a huge Avatar fan. I saw the movie and thought it was good. I can see how it has a small link to fit in with Animal Kingdom via conservation and being one with the land. The thing that most intrigued me about the movie was the bioluminescent plant life and imagining what it would look like in real life as portrayed in the movie. If they can make it as beautiful as I have in my head I'll be in love! lol

hrt2hrtmomdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
MattRyan
Mouseketeer

I am not for or against the expansion yet, I'm not going to take a stance/opinion until I actually get to see it. It's too early to whine or get hype for it.

I am excited for the nighttime show, that's the only thing I felt AK was lacking.
MattRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I wonder where people will be able to watch the new show. The walkways seem so small and congested as it is.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
Disney has released some details about the controversial expansion of the largest park in disney world. The park is getting a large expansion with the help of the avatar films and Tom Staggs released photo rendering of what it will look like at the D23 expo in Japan. Along with expansion will come a new night time water and light show at the animal kingdom with projections on the tree of life. A night time show has been rumored for a few months now.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...nimal-kingdom/

What do you guys think? Does this change what you thought before? What about an AK night time show?
~OMG! This looks absolutely fabulous! Can't wait! Thanks so much for sharing this!

~ETA: It's so beautiful -- I just *have* to post the pics!!! LOL!

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 10-12-2013 at 01:03 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

So it looks like another nighttime show where people have to crowd around to watch with probably not enough room.
Reminds me of Fantasmic at DL. Although I do love that show, I just don't like fighting for a spot early.

Plus side would be that they must have to keep it open later than the horrible early closing time it has now. I have never seen it at dark, but I hear its very pretty.

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012
Disney World - Jan 2 - 12 2014 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I hope they do FP for the show like they do for World of Color at California Adventure. Otherwise where will everyone watch from?

I'm excited about it, even though I'm not an Avatar fan. The Avatar stuff I could take it or leave it, but the park staying open later and extra things to do at AK sounds great.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

I didn't like Avatar, but I'm open to the idea of this land. If it improves the park and adds awesome attractions, great, I don't need to like the movie that inspired it. I'm not a Twilight Zone fan, and I like Tower of Terror. I would prefer any expansion to not remove FOTLK though.
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

The renderings show pretty much what all the rumors said,a boat ride and a Soarin style ride.I think they could make this a great addition even if the movie is forgettable to most.The nighttime show is a must for this park,probably 70% of WDW consider this a half day park and having some new attractions and a nighttime show will change that perception.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

I'm very much against Avatar, but I have to admit that it looks pretty cool. If they can make large portions of the park appear to "bioluminesce" at night, that would be worth seeing.

I'm curious about the changes to the Kilimanjaro Safari. AFAIK, the animals go back to their cages at night. Are they going to have Avatar-themed audioanimatronics there at night or something?
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #11
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Just moving this thread to the News board as it will be a little while before it affects folks trip planning

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

Here's my question on this for the Disney fans. Would this disturb the Animals having a night time Killamajaro Safaris and a night time World of Color type spectacle? One of the reasons Disney states that their isn't Night time entertainment at AK is that it disturbs the animals there. It also for reasons of attendance at night there without it.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I wonder where people will be able to watch the new show. The walkways seem so small and congested as it is.
My guess as part of the expansion they will also work on viewing areas for the show.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

It looks smashing!

Hopefully it means that Expedition Everest will be open at night? If you haven't been on that ride at nighttime you are missing the crown jewel of WDW experiences, imho.

Sooo...AK is gonna get a desperately needed shot in the arm...DHS is getting Star Wars Land...now the only park left that needs DESPERATE attention is Epcot.
OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

This all looks great to me--- pretty much what I was expecting-- thanks for the pictures!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: