Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
JayhawkFans
Mouseketeer

Aug, Sept, Dec or January

Desperately trying to figure out when to plan for our 2nd cruise. We are hooked after our much too short 3 night DREAM cruise. Our main problem is when to attempt to go.

Based on DH's line of work he is only able to be gone during the months of August, September, December or January. Our daughter will be starting 7th grade next year so I am not at all crazy about her missing a week of school for a cruise (unless we can find an affordable cruise mid-Dec to where she would only miss 1 or 2 days right before Christmas break).

Looking for advice from other parents with kids in middle school. Have you pulled them for an extended period of time right after the school year begins? Did they have a hard time catching back up? She is not involved in athletics so that won't be an issue.

The rates for August and December are a bit scary when compared to what is available in September.

Disney Dream - 1/12/14- 4-night Bahamian
Disney Dream - 9/26/13- 3-night Bahamian
JayhawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Racer X
Mouseketeer

Hi - we did a 7 day Western Carribean on the Fantasy last September labor day week. My son was in 6th grade at the time, so we had the same concern. This week had some very big PROS:

1) PRICE
2) 4 days week (as oppose to 5)
3) Did i say PRICE? This week was like $2K cheaper for us than the same cruise in August.

Anyways, I sent an email to the school principal and let her know we wanted to go but were concerned... also explained the educational value of the trip, different ports of call, Mayan ruins, Mexico - She very eagerly gave us her "blessing", said have a great time, and let your teachers know, which we did.

I think doing this early in the year helped since they were still just reviewing and not into that much. He had no issues when we returned, just very little homework. We did bring some reading assignments which he worked on he trip down and back.

Hope that helps

Oh and PS: It was a blast! We had the same bug as you (and most here, so we booked again after our first 3 night!)
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Lowest prices are when school is not in session. So last week in August is low since all southern states start school in August, while some of the northern states start after labor day.

3rd week in December will start go up - depends on when school ends as more folks will be willing to pull the kids out for a couple of days.

January is low - but as long as you avoid any holidays or long weekends.

Regarding pulling the kids out during middle school? Yes, we've done it. But you know your kid best. If the kid has no issues catching up with the missed work, and you try to get some of that homework ahead of time so it can be done during the vacation, then go for it.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
ggfred32
Mouseketeer

We did the Sept 2-9 Alaska on the Wonder this year, and we have a 7th grader and 3rd grader. We got all sorts of assignments from their teachers beforehand, and ended up doing about an hour or so of homework each day on ship. When we got back there were a few things they needed to catch up on, but they were mostly ok. I really don't care if they miss school for a family trip. Most schools do some sort of travel study program so the school still gets credit for them being there. It is your choice as a parent how to handle family vacations and school, but honestly we don't view it as a big deal. We are already booked for the EBPC next Sept 12-26, so we will be lugging those books on the ship again.
ggfred32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

August is our favorite month to cruise. If not, of your choices, I'd choose Dec for the holiday decorations as long as you understand the ports might be unswimmable.....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
amomma23
DIS Veteran

Our son will start 6th grade next year. We decided on December 1st. It's right after Thanksgiving break. (He'll have off Monday and will miss Tuesday-Friday.) Our thoughts are that he can get his assignments before Thanksgiving and can work on things until we leave, then have the weekend after the cruise to finish up. He does really well in school, so I don't worry about him falling behind. The amount of work can be overwhelming, so we are hoping this will give him some time to get it done without taking it on the cruise.

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Good ideas on pairing it up with a "short week".
Get assignments early and do before/after/during.

And relax, it's only a week or less, not a month.
Communicate with teachers so tge absence isn't unexpected, and you will be fine. :-)
Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
slzer0
DIS Veteran

August is HOT.
So is September.

January is getting pretty cold..
I'd go with December if you can.

(FL res here - basing this opinion on FL weather.)

Depending on where you're from, Sept might be ok also. At least at sea there's a breeze, lol.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

My kids miss a week or so of school each year for various family trips. This year (with my son in 7th and my daughter in 2nd) they'll miss the week right before Thanksgiving break. Oops! I'm not too worried though. My kids always catch up quick but honestly they start out pretty far ahead of the curve. You know your kids best. Just be realistic about how easy or hard it might be for them to catch up and talk to their teachers well in advance.

Next year my kids will be missing two weeks of school in September as we cruise through the Panama Canal. I have to admit that even with my somewhat laid back attitude about attendance I'm a little nervous about that one. I bet I'll get over it though.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkFans View Post
Desperately trying to figure out when to plan for our 2nd cruise. We are hooked after our much too short 3 night DREAM cruise. Our main problem is when to attempt to go.

Based on DH's line of work he is only able to be gone during the months of August, September, December or January. Our daughter will be starting 7th grade next year so I am not at all crazy about her missing a week of school for a cruise (unless we can find an affordable cruise mid-Dec to where she would only miss 1 or 2 days right before Christmas break).

Looking for advice from other parents with kids in middle school. Have you pulled them for an extended period of time right after the school year begins? Did they have a hard time catching back up? She is not involved in athletics so that won't be an issue.

The rates for August and December are a bit scary when compared to what is available in September.
The first 2 weeks of December prices are the same as September. You also have the Christmas decorations up and hurricane season is over.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
The first 2 weeks of December prices are the same as September. You also have the Christmas decorations up and hurricane season is over.
Not a bad deal!. You could also maybe count the trip as an early Christmas present too

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

We've only cruised once. Last month was our first. We didn't think it was too hot on the cruise, but then the ship is air conditioned and we didn't get off in Nassau. Castaway Cay was hot, but you could get in the water to cool off easily enough. There always seemed to be a nice breeze when we were on the verandah or the open decks. The only time we were hot and sweaty was really the lifeboat drill. Yuck.

A good friend of mine has cruised a bunch of times April through October. Last year she went in January, with relatives. She said never again. It was too cold and windy to enjoy the verandah or open decks, and too cold to get in the water at Castaway Cay.

I'm sure others would disagree though, since plenty of people cruise in the winter months. DD and I are going to stick with September and October, I think.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: