Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #61
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambeaman View Post

If that's the experience you're looking for then maybe you should cruise with a line like "Cunard" and not on a line that's aimed at families with young children.
Perhaps people looking for a lower class experience should go to Carnival if that is your attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #62
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

Eta: I have three small children, go to school and work and I can still manage to throw on a sundress and sandals and not show up to gatherings in tshirts. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards[/QUOTE]
They're not asking for a sundress and sandals. I have no problem with that. That's my standard uniform in Hawaii. They want cocktail dresses and gowns with heels.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #63
hmurray2008
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Eta: I have three small children, go to school and work and I can still manage to throw on a sundress and sandals and not show up to gatherings in tshirts. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
They're not asking for a sundress and sandals. I have no problem with that. That's my standard uniform in Hawaii. They want cocktail dresses and gowns with heels.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering.....who is 'they'? No one on this post asked for formal gowns and cocktail dresses. Or did I miss something?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #64
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
Perhaps people looking for a lower class experience should go to Carnival if that is your attitude. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
It's not about higher class or lower class, and it's offensive that you think that the way a person dresses is a matter of class. I know plenty of people that "dress up" and have the class of a pig. What I was saying was that if you want to be on a cruise line with a "strictly enforced dress code" , then you should look at Cunard.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
Old 10-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #65
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

meh
Old 10-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #66
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurray2008 View Post
I've read this thread with great interest (and posted) over the past several days. There has been a lot of nasty comments thrown from both sides of the argument. I stand by my original comments that I long for a time when people did put a little effort into their attire. Please hear me out before you begin to get all riled up.

Bear with me as I appear to go slightly off topic. It will make sense at the end!

As an employer of 50+ individuals, approximately 50% under the age of 25, I despair at the youth of today. For many of these kids, we are their first foray into the 'real world' of responsibility. It has fallen on us to teach them that:1) Yes isn't always the answer!
2) Sometimes you succeed and sometimes you don't!
3) We don't give out participation trophies at the end of your shift.
4) You won't miss anything important if you can't use your cell while working!
5) And, to get back on topic, to teach them that there is a 'right way and a wrong way' to dress when you work with the public.

I have had to send young men home to get a belt, fearing that their pants will end up around their ankles.....not sure how they left the house unaware that there was a four inch gap between the waistband of their underpants and the waistband of their jeans??? And I repeatedly have to remind young ladies that no one is interested in the colour of their bras/camis, and request that they button up a couple of those shirt buttons. Don't even get me started on the rainbow of thongs that I and our customers have seen....try having THAT conversation with them! AND I AM NOT A PRUDE! I like thongs as much as the next girl!

When did it become a personal affront to many and/or a threat to our personal freedoms to have a dress code at a restaurant or MDR? Is it really that much of a hardship to swap out the short and tees for 60-90 minutes each evening? You're right, my food isn't going to taste different if I sit across from someone in a tank top and shorty shorts. I'm not going to ignore that person in favour of speaking with someone a little more dressed up. My world isn't going to end. And the earth won't spin off its axis. But.....you know what.....the same things aren't going to happen if we all make an effort. No one says you have to wear a tux/suit/formal gown/fancy dress. But why not channel that little girl/boy that liked to play dress-up just for a little while?
Just like it is not a hardship for you to sit across the table from me, wearing a clean, modest t-shirt and jeans that cover everything they should, to dinner on cruise casual night.

As a casual dresser, I respect everything you have said. I actually agree with most of it. I typically wear dark colored jeans (they look like dress pants) and a collared shirt most nights to dinner (ties, to me, are for weddings, job interviews, and funerals). However, when I go to work, I follow the dress code. That is just about integrity and doing what is right at work. The only place I have seen a dress code on a Disney ship is in Palo.

BTW, I never liked to play dress up, and that does not make me a bad person.

I dont agree that a person wearing a t-shirt in the MDR is evidence of the downfall of society, or has anything to do with Miley Cyrus. Most of the 25ish crown found what she did disgusting as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
Perhaps people looking for a lower class experience should go to Carnival if that is your attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I take it you have never cruised Carnival. I saw WAY more dressed up people on Carnival than I did on Disney. I would attribute that to far more young, hipster folks heading to the club afterwards, and far less families. But I guess judging people's class based on how much they spend for a cruise makes you feel better about yourself, right?

Quote:
My question is, just because you like dressing up why does that mean everyone else has to dress up to? I spend 5 days a week dressed up at work. I don't want to put on a cocktail dress at dinner and carry around my 2 year old. It is much more comfortable for me to sit at dinner in a sundress and sandals. I shouldn't have to be uncomfortable to make other people happy while I'm on vacation. I don't drink, but I don't feel that others shouldn't drink even though it makes some people loud and obnoxious and can impact my vacation. Can't we all just come to the agreement "to each their own"? If you want to dress to the nines, great. If you want to dress casually, that's great too. At the end of the day, no one is going to change their belief about this because someone on this board has a differing opinion.
This.

Quote:
It's not about higher class or lower class, and it's offensive that you think that the way a person dresses is a matter of class. I know plenty of people that "dress up" and have the class of a pig. What I was saying was that if you want to be on a cruise line with a "strictly enforced dress code" , then you should look at Cunard.
Exactly. If Disney actually enforced its dress code, than we would not even need this thread. I did a river cruise in Europe many years ago, and it was made very clear. No tie = no seating for dinner. So I put a tie on.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #67
Runnergal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
IMHO, I long for the days when people had some personal pride and made an effort. It doesn't take that much extra time to put on a nice shirt or dress. And with the plethora of factory outlet shops and expanded lines at Target, it doesn't cost a fortune to purchase some appropriate attire, so please don't pull out the $$$ card.

I still 'dress-up' when I fly, brush my hair and change out of my pjs before running to the market for a forgotten item on the weekend, and apologise to anyone who rings my doorbell early enough to catch me pre-shower on my day off. I take pride in my appearance and wish that more people did the same! Just sayin'...........

Let the critics begin to throw darts.......
So funny about dressing up for flying. My dh is the same way- he always wears a blazer and button-down when he flies, no matter where he is going or how long the flight is. He is starting to rub off on me-just a little, I still like to be comfortable!

I am looking forward to getting dressed for dinner. It is part of what makes a cruise special. Although with shorts now allowed I may allow my boys to get away with belted shorts and a polo.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #68
Belle'sMommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
Here is another question: does "no tank tops" also rule out sleeveless dresses?
There were lots of nice but somewhat casual sleeveless sundresses on pretty much every night but formal night of my 7-night Fantasy cruise last month (which was after the dress code change had been announced).

I can't comment specifically on the ratio of people who didn't dress up super formal on formal night, because we didn't go to MDR that night. My husband didn't feel like going, and I was tired after snorkeling at port, so it was actually a relief to me to not worry about my hair or wearing heels that night.

Walking around the ship, though, I saw some families wear casually nice dresses and dress shirts (no jackets) with slacks, and other families wear super nice evening gowns and full suits or tuxedos. For the families that looked casual, I don't know if they went to MDR or they just grabbed food at Cabanas.

Visited: Disneyland, WDW, EuroDisney
Married at Polynesian in WDW
First Disney Cruise: Fantasy - September 2013
Old 10-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #69
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway3 View Post
I'm sad they changed the dress code I think it's part of the cruise experience to dress up for dinner
I agree. It seems people can afford a cruise but can't afford one smart outfit to wear
Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #70
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
IMHO, I long for the days when people had some personal pride and made an effort. It doesn't take that much extra time to put on a nice shirt or dress. And with the plethora of factory outlet shops and expanded lines at Target, it doesn't cost a fortune to purchase some appropriate attire, so please don't pull out the $$$ card.

I still 'dress-up' when I fly, brush my hair and change out of my pjs before running to the market for a forgotten item on the weekend, and apologise to anyone who rings my doorbell early enough to catch me pre-shower on my day off. I take pride in my appearance and wish that more people did the same! Just sayin'...........

Let the critics begin to throw darts.......
No darts here
Old 10-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #71
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

I guess I just dont get how people can judge so much about someone based on what they are wearing, assuming everything is covered and nothing offensive is written.

I applaud those of you who can tell so much about me based on the fact I am in shorts and a t-shirt at Safeway, or Costco, or answering the door (my favorite), or heaven forbid, in a dining room on a cruise ship.

I guess that is just a skill I don't have. I am much more interested in your behavior and personality than what clothes you have on, but clearly I am in the minority.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #72
RMoneyTheHBomb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
I guess I just dont get how people can judge so much about someone based on what they are wearing, assuming everything is covered and nothing offensive is written.

I applaud those of you who can tell so much about me based on the fact I am in shorts and a t-shirt at Safeway, or Costco, or answering the door (my favorite), or heaven forbid, in a dining room on a cruise ship.

I guess that is just a skill I don't have. I am much more interested in your behavior and personality than what clothes you have on, but clearly I am in the minority.

I'm with you. I am on vacation and plan on being comfortable. If Disney says it is ok, then it is ok.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: