Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #46
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

That is what I think too, just wanted to check that i won't be getting the evil eye from disapproving disers.

Sent from me.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Old 10-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #47
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I saw a man wearing a tank top and cut off jeans on formal night and that was before the dress code change. The dress code was never a hard and fast rule, just more of a suggestion or a request. (I only took note of the guy because it made me chuckle to think what the response some Dis folks would have to his outfit. Otherwise my meal was unaffected by his attire.)

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #48
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
I saw a man wearing a tank top and cut off jeans on formal night and that was before the dress code change. The dress code was never a hard and fast rule, just more of a suggestion or a request. (I only took note of the guy because it made me chuckle to think what the response some Dis folks would have to his outfit. Otherwise my meal was unaffected by his attire.)
"The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules."

Sent from me.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #49
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

I don't see why any one should care about what others are wearing along as nothing is hanging out that shouldn't be. If someone gives me the evil eye because I'm wearing a sundress at dinner, that's their problem, not mine.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
Old 10-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #50
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
"The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules."

Sent from me.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #51
hmurray2008
Earning My Ears

I've read this thread with great interest (and posted) over the past several days. There has been a lot of nasty comments thrown from both sides of the argument. I stand by my original comments that I long for a time when people did put a little effort into their attire. Please hear me out before you begin to get all riled up.

I don't have children (I'm not that lucky). But I do have nieces and nephews and I spend time with friends that have young children. It's so fun to watch the young girls dress up as princesses and want to dress up in cute little outfits. Perhaps it's the influence of watching all those Disney movies!?! Sadly, IMHO, this changes as they grow up and begin to emulate those around them (including magazines and onscreen 'role models' - if you've seen the de-evolution (sic) of Miley Cyrus, you'll know where I'm coming from. )

Bear with me as I appear to go slightly off topic. It will make sense at the end!

As an employer of 50+ individuals, approximately 50% under the age of 25, I despair at the youth of today. For many of these kids, we are their first foray into the 'real world' of responsibility. It has fallen on us to teach them that:1) Yes isn't always the answer!
2) Sometimes you succeed and sometimes you don't!
3) We don't give out participation trophies at the end of your shift.
4) You won't miss anything important if you can't use your cell while working!
5) And, to get back on topic, to teach them that there is a 'right way and a wrong way' to dress when you work with the public.

I have had to send young men home to get a belt, fearing that their pants will end up around their ankles.....not sure how they left the house unaware that there was a four inch gap between the waistband of their underpants and the waistband of their jeans??? And I repeatedly have to remind young ladies that no one is interested in the colour of their bras/camis, and request that they button up a couple of those shirt buttons. Don't even get me started on the rainbow of thongs that I and our customers have seen....try having THAT conversation with them! AND I AM NOT A PRUDE! I like thongs as much as the next girl!

When did it become a personal affront to many and/or a threat to our personal freedoms to have a dress code at a restaurant or MDR? Is it really that much of a hardship to swap out the short and tees for 60-90 minutes each evening? You're right, my food isn't going to taste different if I sit across from someone in a tank top and shorty shorts. I'm not going to ignore that person in favour of speaking with someone a little more dressed up. My world isn't going to end. And the earth won't spin off its axis. But.....you know what.....the same things aren't going to happen if we all make an effort. No one says you have to wear a tux/suit/formal gown/fancy dress. But why not channel that little girl/boy that liked to play dress-up just for a little while?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #52
Minnie Monellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurray2008 View Post
I've read this thread with great interest (and posted) over the past several days. There has been a lot of nasty comments thrown from both sides of the argument. I stand by my original comments that I long for a time when people did put a little effort into their attire. Please hear me out before you begin to get all riled up.

I don't have children (I'm not that lucky). But I do have nieces and nephews and I spend time with friends that have young children. It's so fun to watch the young girls dress up as princesses and want to dress up in cute little outfits. Perhaps it's the influence of watching all those Disney movies!?! Sadly, IMHO, this changes as they grow up and begin to emulate those around them (including magazines and onscreen 'role models' - if you've seen the de-evolution (sic) of Miley Cyrus, you'll know where I'm coming from. )

Bear with me as I appear to go slightly off topic. It will make sense at the end!

As an employer of 50+ individuals, approximately 50% under the age of 25, I despair at the youth of today. For many of these kids, we are their first foray into the 'real world' of responsibility. It has fallen on us to teach them that:1) Yes isn't always the answer!
2) Sometimes you succeed and sometimes you don't!
3) We don't give out participation trophies at the end of your shift.
4) You won't miss anything important if you can't use your cell while working!
5) And, to get back on topic, to teach them that there is a 'right way and a wrong way' to dress when you work with the public.

I have had to send young men home to get a belt, fearing that their pants will end up around their ankles.....not sure how they left the house unaware that there was a four inch gap between the waistband of their underpants and the waistband of their jeans??? And I repeatedly have to remind young ladies that no one is interested in the colour of their bras/camis, and request that they button up a couple of those shirt buttons. Don't even get me started on the rainbow of thongs that I and our customers have seen....try having THAT conversation with them! AND I AM NOT A PRUDE! I like thongs as much as the next girl!

When did it become a personal affront to many and/or a threat to our personal freedoms to have a dress code at a restaurant or MDR? Is it really that much of a hardship to swap out the short and tees for 60-90 minutes each evening? You're right, my food isn't going to taste different if I sit across from someone in a tank top and shorty shorts. I'm not going to ignore that person in favour of speaking with someone a little more dressed up. My world isn't going to end. And the earth won't spin off its axis. But.....you know what.....the same things aren't going to happen if we all make an effort. No one says you have to wear a tux/suit/formal gown/fancy dress. But why not channel that little girl/boy that liked to play dress-up just for a little while?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #53
sue8528
Earning My Ears

Here is an example of how widely opinions diverge on this subject: I'm always amused on board by the little girls wearing what I would have considered to be Halloween costumes or "playing dress up" clothes for formal night. It does not impact my experience, I just found it odd on my first cruise.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #54
figaroismycat
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I've read this thread with great interest (and posted) over the past several days. There has been a lot of nasty comments thrown from both sides of the argument. I stand by my original comments that I long for a time when people did put a little effort into their attire. Please hear me out before you begin to get all riled up. I don't have children (I'm not that lucky). But I do have nieces and nephews and I spend time with friends that have young children. It's so fun to watch the young girls dress up as princesses and want to dress up in cute little outfits. Perhaps it's the influence of watching all those Disney movies!?! Sadly, IMHO, this changes as they grow up and begin to emulate those around them (including magazines and onscreen 'role models' - if you've seen the de-evolution (sic) of Miley Cyrus, you'll know where I'm coming from. ) Bear with me as I appear to go slightly off topic. It will make sense at the end! As an employer of 50+ individuals, approximately 50% under the age of 25, I despair at the youth of today. For many of these kids, we are their first foray into the 'real world' of responsibility. It has fallen on us to teach them that:1) Yes isn't always the answer! 2) Sometimes you succeed and sometimes you don't! 3) We don't give out participation trophies at the end of your shift. 4) You won't miss anything important if you can't use your cell while working! 5) And, to get back on topic, to teach them that there is a 'right way and a wrong way' to dress when you work with the public. I have had to send young men home to get a belt, fearing that their pants will end up around their ankles.....not sure how they left the house unaware that there was a four inch gap between the waistband of their underpants and the waistband of their jeans??? And I repeatedly have to remind young ladies that no one is interested in the colour of their bras/camis, and request that they button up a couple of those shirt buttons. Don't even get me started on the rainbow of thongs that I and our customers have seen....try having THAT conversation with them! AND I AM NOT A PRUDE! I like thongs as much as the next girl! When did it become a personal affront to many and/or a threat to our personal freedoms to have a dress code at a restaurant or MDR? Is it really that much of a hardship to swap out the short and tees for 60-90 minutes each evening? You're right, my food isn't going to taste different if I sit across from someone in a tank top and shorty shorts. I'm not going to ignore that person in favour of speaking with someone a little more dressed up. My world isn't going to end. And the earth won't spin off its axis. But.....you know what.....the same things aren't going to happen if we all make an effort. No one says you have to wear a tux/suit/formal gown/fancy dress. But why not channel that little girl/boy that liked to play dress-up just for a little while?
Amen!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #55
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
I've read this thread with great interest (and posted) over the past several days. There has been a lot of nasty comments thrown from both sides of the argument. I stand by my original comments that I long for a time when people did put a little effort into their attire. Please hear me out before you begin to get all riled up. I don't have children (I'm not that lucky). But I do have nieces and nephews and I spend time with friends that have young children. It's so fun to watch the young girls dress up as princesses and want to dress up in cute little outfits. Perhaps it's the influence of watching all those Disney movies!?! Sadly, IMHO, this changes as they grow up and begin to emulate those around them (including magazines and onscreen 'role models' - if you've seen the de-evolution (sic) of Miley Cyrus, you'll know where I'm coming from. ) Bear with me as I appear to go slightly off topic. It will make sense at the end! As an employer of 50+ individuals, approximately 50% under the age of 25, I despair at the youth of today. For many of these kids, we are their first foray into the 'real world' of responsibility. It has fallen on us to teach them that:1) Yes isn't always the answer! 2) Sometimes you succeed and sometimes you don't! 3) We don't give out participation trophies at the end of your shift. 4) You won't miss anything important if you can't use your cell while working! 5) And, to get back on topic, to teach them that there is a 'right way and a wrong way' to dress when you work with the public. I have had to send young men home to get a belt, fearing that their pants will end up around their ankles.....not sure how they left the house unaware that there was a four inch gap between the waistband of their underpants and the waistband of their jeans??? And I repeatedly have to remind young ladies that no one is interested in the colour of their bras/camis, and request that they button up a couple of those shirt buttons. Don't even get me started on the rainbow of thongs that I and our customers have seen....try having THAT conversation with them! AND I AM NOT A PRUDE! I like thongs as much as the next girl! When did it become a personal affront to many and/or a threat to our personal freedoms to have a dress code at a restaurant or MDR? Is it really that much of a hardship to swap out the short and tees for 60-90 minutes each evening? You're right, my food isn't going to taste different if I sit across from someone in a tank top and shorty shorts. I'm not going to ignore that person in favour of speaking with someone a little more dressed up. My world isn't going to end. And the earth won't spin off its axis. But.....you know what.....the same things aren't going to happen if we all make an effort. No one says you have to wear a tux/suit/formal gown/fancy dress. But why not channel that little girl/boy that liked to play dress-up just for a little while?
I love this post, but I especially love number 3!!! I know a fair few people who expect the 'participation trophy' for doing a normal days work!
I don't dress up much, but I do like the idea of people at least changing out of shorts and tshirts!

My partners niece is 16 and arrived at a family birthday a few months ago dressed like a street walker. Her breasts were hanging out .. And I mean hanging out! Her skirt was so short she couldn't bend or crouch without showing everyone what she'd had for dinner. I was more shocked that her parents thought it acceptable for her to be dressed like that. I love youngsters who find their own style, but do wish it wasn't with so much skin (or underwear) showing!!

Anyway, went off topic there!! Sorry.
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #56
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

My question is, just because you like dressing up why does that mean everyone else has to dress up to? I spend 5 days a week dressed up at work. I don't want to put on a cocktail dress at dinner and carry around my 2 year old. It is much more comfortable for me to sit at dinner in a sundress and sandals. I shouldn't have to be uncomfortable to make other people happy while I'm on vacation. I don't drink, but I don't feel that others shouldn't drink even though it makes some people loud and obnoxious and can impact my vacation. Can't we all just come to the agreement "to each their own"? If you want to dress to the nines, great. If you want to dress casually, that's great too. At the end of the day, no one is going to change their belief about this because someone on this board has a differing opinion.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
Old 10-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #57
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

I am a wee bit disappointed because when I think about cruising I think about it being the elegant affair that the cruise industry has perpetuated into its culture for years. Now it seems it is being dumbed down to satisfy a culture that thinks pJs to the grocery store is okay and shorts and a Tshirt is dressing up. I will dress how I want on the cruise and others will dress how they want but I see this a dumbing down of the industry culture.

As for armpit hair, whether a blouse or tank top it will still show hairy armpits. Several cultures and groups of people do not shave their armpits or legs.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #58
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
I am a wee bit disappointed because when I think about cruising I think about it being the elegant affair that the cruise industry has perpetuated into its culture for years. Now it seems it is being dumbed down to satisfy a culture that thinks pJs to the grocery store is okay and shorts and a Tshirt is dressing up. I will dress how I want on the cruise and others will dress how they want but I see this a dumbing down of the industry culture. As for armpit hair, whether a blouse or tank top it will still show hairy armpits. Several cultures and groups of people do not shave their armpits or legs. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
If that's the experience you're looking for then maybe you should cruise with a line like "Cunard" and not on a line that's aimed at families with young children.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #59
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Disney had the same standards as the rest of the cruise industry. It the industry as a whole who set themselves apart by creating formal nights and semi formal. It was the people who couldn't be bothered to follow the rules who dumb down standards. I still choose Disney but the cruise industry as a whole set itself up as being higher class.

Eta: I have three small children, go to school and work and I can still manage to throw on a sundress and sandals and not show up to gatherings in tshirts.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #60
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

I'm happy that we don't have to dress up every night , less to pack and if your flying that is great. We have one suitcase just for dressy clothes and shoes sometime more then one. That being said we don't wear daisy dukes etc. I usually wear capri pants and my husband kaki shorts with collar shirts. There is a in between.

Plus the kids usually eat and run back to the clubs so they are not in those clothes long and I go back to the cabin with dress clothes scattered all over the place because they change before they go to the clubs.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: