Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #31
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurray2008 View Post
Sooooo taken out of context......if you read the thread you will note that this was in response to the most oft used excuse of 'I'm on vacation, and I can <insert behaviour here>'.

I have a strong dislike when people use that as an excuse. Although this is way off topic, I will share why I have a dislike for this excuse. My most recent trip to WDW included a wonderful wake-up call at 12:30am when my room was flooded by a group of teenagers in the room above ours. Their parents were in a connecting room and when I approached them, I was told 'I'm on vacation and so are they. These things happen.'

Sooo, I definitely was not implying that if you're in shorts at the dinner table, that your child will be a heathen. I apologise if you felt that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambeaman View Post
I did read the whole thread, but that's what I got from it. I get that things can be taken out of context, so that is why I was trying to clarify. Hearing your experience now I see what you meant, but there are those who do judge people based on initial appearances. I wasn't trying to start something...
I think it is safe to safe rude, obnoxious people come in all shapes, sizes, genders, and choices for covering their lower extremities.

Given how over stimulating a Disney Cruise is, I am amazed my kids behave as well as they do!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #32
slzer0
DIS Veteran

I think people just want something "different" on vacation.
Me, Im a SAHM mostly, and work with kids at a craft store a few hrs a week, so ckearly I "dress down" most of the time. Im excited to get an opportunity to dress up on a cruise.

For someone who dresses up daily, maybe they want to be different and dress down for a change. I assume the dress code is designed to rein that in a little, but some people want to relax and I camt blame them for not wanting to dress to the nines. I dont think its a lack of personal pride or being a slob.
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #33
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseinMelbourne View Post
We sail Nov. 16th and I just got our cruise docs. I thought it was a mistake that shorts weren't on the no-no list for the dining rooms. REALLY? We can wear SHORTS?!
I was mortified by jeans in the mdrs...now shorts?!?!?!

I told my husband, and his reaction? "really? Then let's book another cruise now that I don't even have to pack pants!" Le.sigh. I am a sahm and my fav part of cruising is everyone dressing up for dinner every night. It's dhs least fav. He was so upset when packing for our med cruise. He wears suits every day at work, so he's happy to spend a week in shorts.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #34
MouseinMelbourne
DIS Veteran

I've read the responses on this thread and have tried not to take anything personally. Instead, I am just going to ask....

Why? Why does it matter? If someone isn't showing off bottom biscuits, armpit hair, etc., how does it affect your enjoyment of a cruise when others do not dress how you think they should? Are your tablemates less engaging when they are casual? Is service below par when the CM's see everyone "casual?" Is the food bland or uninteresting? Do you feel overdressed? Is that it?

I'm really trying to understand why on earth anyone would care what clothing another person wears and how it can affect their enjoyment of the cruise. When I dress up I feel dressed up. How others around me dress does not affect my clothing or my own sense of self. This happens to me all the time at our office Christmas party. DH and I dress up and others do not. I never even thought of letting it affect how I enjoy my evening. So help a girl out and explain, OK?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #35
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerl30 View Post
I was mortified by jeans in the mdrs...now shorts?!?!?!

I told my husband, and his reaction? "really? Then let's book another cruise now that I don't even have to pack pants!" Le.sigh. I am a sahm and my fav part of cruising is everyone dressing up for dinner every night. It's dhs least fav. He was so upset when packing for our med cruise. He wears suits every day at work, so he's happy to spend a week in shorts.

Not to be rude, but that really seems like an unfair expectation of people who are also on vacation being expected to conform to your interpretation of things.

If you want to dress up, by all means do so, and enjoy it. But keep any judgements of what others are wearing to yourself. You, and everyone else, will be much happier for it, I assure you. We're all there to have fun, after all, not critique what others are wearing.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #36
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've read the responses on this thread and have tried not to take anything personally. Instead, I am just going to ask....

Why? Why does it matter? If someone isn't showing off bottom biscuits, armpit hair, etc., how does it affect your enjoyment of a cruise when others do not dress how you think they should? Are your tablemates less engaging when they are casual? Is service below par when the CM's see everyone "casual?" Is the food bland or uninteresting? Do you feel overdressed? Is that it?

I'm really trying to understand why on earth anyone would care what clothing another person wears and how it can affect their enjoyment of the cruise. When I dress up I feel dressed up. How others around me dress does not affect my clothing or my own sense of self. This happens to me all the time at our office Christmas party. DH and I dress up and others do not. I never even thought of letting it affect how I enjoy my evening. So help a girl out and explain, OK?
Can I cruise with you next time? Seriously, drinks are on me (one round, maybe two)

Very well said. I would prefer not to see someones armpit hair or bottom biscuit, but I will not give it another thought if I do. They dont control me or my enjoyment of the cruise.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #37
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:

I think people expect the cruise to be a luxury/classy experience. This expectation is fed by Disney's marketing. Look at the cruise videos they send you. The people in those videos are the exception rather than the rule. The people on the Disney cruise are the same type of people you would see in a Walmart/Target/Costco type Store. It is not a Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus type crowd. If you want class you need to try one of the upscale cruise lines.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #38
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
I think people expect the cruise to be a luxury/classy experience. This expectation is fed by Disney's marketing. Look at the cruise videos they send you. The people in those videos are the exception rather than the rule. The people on the Disney cruise are the same type of people you would see in a Walmart/Target/Costco type Store. It is not a Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus type crowd. If you want class you need to try one of the upscale cruise lines.
That is pretty offensive, honestly. People who shop at Walmart, Target, and Costco have no class?

Class is not about what clothing is on your back (or legs). It is in how you behave, treat others, and conduct yourself....especially those who are "beneath" you or serving you.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #39
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
That is pretty offensive, honestly. People who shop at Walmart, Target, and Costco have no class?

Class is not about what clothing is on your back (or legs). It is in how you behave, treat others, and conduct yourself....especially those who are "beneath" you or serving you.
You are correct 100%. I get really worked up on many of the responses on these dress code boards. It seems like many seem that we "don't belong" and that the servers should be "beneath" serving the unwashed masses.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #40
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Here is another question: does "no tank tops" also rule out sleeveless dresses?

Sent from me.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #41
njdisneylovr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
Here is another question: does "no tank tops" also rule out sleeveless dresses?

Sent from me.
I'm curious on this one, too. I am bringing several sleeveless blouses from New York and Co. to wear with dress pants. I am hoping they are okay now.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #42
dclwonderprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdisneylovr View Post
I'm curious on this one, too. I am bringing several sleeveless blouses from New York and Co. to wear with dress pants. I am hoping they are okay now.
A blouse is different than a tank top, but you still may want to bring a cardigan bc it can be cool.
August 2014 - Alaska on the Wonder
May 2015 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy
December 2015 - Bahamas on the Wonder
Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #43
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

I'm thinking by tank top they mean like camis or, pardon the expression, "wife beaters". I'm fairly certain that sundresses and nice sleeveless tops are not included or I'll be eating in cabanas every night, lol.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
Old 10-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #44
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambeaman View Post
I'm thinking by tank top they mean like camis or, pardon the expression, "wife beaters". I'm fairly certain that sundresses and nice sleeveless tops are not included or I'll be eating in cabanas every night, lol.
With all the strapless cocktail dresses on formal night, it would be silly to dis-allow sleeveless dresses.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #45
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
With all the strapless cocktail dresses on formal night, it would be silly to dis-allow sleeveless dresses.
Agreed, DH says he thinks they're more concerned with men wearing tank tops than women.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: