Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
DisneyDreamer2504
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post

I don't think it matters much. People who want to look nice will still look nice, even if its in a polo and cargo shorts instead of khakis. People who don't care can still look sloppy whether shorts are allowed or not.

Sent from me.
Exactly! The dress code is a suggestion and loose guideline. I've seen plenty of people who 'dress up' but look sloppy, but I've seen people in shorts that look perfectly nice and well put together. Honestly, I didn't notice what anyone else as wearing on our recent cruise. Our table mates knew nothing about formal night or anything, and came dressed in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops every night, and it really didn't matter! We had a great time with them!

Sept '10 - Wonder
Sept '11 - WDW Caribbean Beach/Dream - Honeymoon!
May '12 - AKV
Sept '13 - SSR/FANTASY
Old 10-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #17
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
But you CAN wear daisy dukes or ripped cut offs (not that they stopped people before - I know on my April 2012 cruise there was a young woman who showed her bottom biscuits off nightly in itty-bitty jean short cut offs ).
Sounds like a half-baked idea to me.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
hmurray2008
Earning My Ears

Personal pride is a lost art!

IMHO, I long for the days when people had some personal pride and made an effort. It doesn't take that much extra time to put on a nice shirt or dress. And with the plethora of factory outlet shops and expanded lines at Target, it doesn't cost a fortune to purchase some appropriate attire, so please don't pull out the $$$ card.

I still 'dress-up' when I fly, brush my hair and change out of my pjs before running to the market for a forgotten item on the weekend, and apologise to anyone who rings my doorbell early enough to catch me pre-shower on my day off. I take pride in my appearance and wish that more people did the same! Just sayin'...........

Let the critics begin to throw darts.......
Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

It's not the $$$ card people throw out, it's the, "I'm on vacation and want to dress like a slob." card.

Anyway, no darts from me. I agree. But everyone has different opions of what they want to do on vacation. Disney obviously agrees since they are adjusting the dress code verses enforcing anything. We plan to dress nice for dinners and not worry about anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 10-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
hmurray2008
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
It's not the $$$ card people throw out, it's the, "I'm on vacation and want to dress like a slob." card.

Anyway, no darts from me. I agree. But everyone has different opions of what they want to do on vacation. Disney obviously agrees since they are adjusting the dress code verses enforcing anything. We plan to dress nice for dinners and not worry about anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Too true.....I guess those are the same folks who allow their kids to run amuck! We also plan to dress nice and enjoy the entire experience!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

On our recent Fantasy sailing DH & I ate the MDR once & Palo once. 5 nights we either went to Cabanas, the walk up windows, or had room service picnics. Why? We didn't feel like partaking of the big dinner production. Nope, didn't want to fix my hair or makeup, didn't want to change into uncomfortable clothes, didn't want to spend 2 hours eating. It simply didn't mesh with our relaxed state of mind. That said, we wouldn't want to dumb-down the whole dinner experience thing for others who are into it & go thru the effort. It's just not our thing.

FYI, formal night is a fabulous time to have the entire Quiet Cove to yourself.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 DCL Wonder Double Dip 2x B2B (4 stops at CC!)
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
Old 10-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #22
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer2504 View Post
Exactly! The dress code is a suggestion and loose guideline. I've seen plenty of people who 'dress up' but look sloppy, but I've seen people in shorts that look perfectly nice and well put together. Honestly, I didn't notice what anyone else as wearing on our recent cruise. Our table mates knew nothing about formal night or anything, and came dressed in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops every night, and it really didn't matter! We had a great time with them!
I want to cruise with you. My first time on the Wonder, we got back late from Las Caletas and had to hurry to dinner in our GASP shorts. It was either that or miss the show at AP and make our serving team behind for the entire service. Sorry to the fashion police in the crowd.

I am a great table mate...I learn their names and where they are from, I remember to listen more than I speak, say please and thank you to my servers, stay away from taboo topics, my kids are well behaved or we leave, I overtip at the end of the week.....and.....

I wear shorts sometimes to dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CUE SCARY MUSIC! HIDE your kids, hide your wife, there wearing shorts in front of everyone out here!!!

In my four cruise, I have seen (that I can think of off the top of my head) five or six huge tables of rude, obnoxious, pretentious a-holes who treat the staff like slaves and let their kids go crazy...but they are dressed in suits. I have seen ONE table of those dressed far too casually. One.

I am not sure why people get so worked up about this and anoint themselves the fashion police. If you want to dress up, do it! If I am dressed down a bit, but still clean, covering what should be, and nothing offensive is going one, I will never understand why people care so much. Oh, and the night I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I apologized to everyone at my table and explained what went on. No one cared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurray2008 View Post
Too true.....I guess those are the same folks who allow their kids to run amuck! We also plan to dress nice and enjoy the entire experience!
Your guess would be wrong. On the Carnival Splendor, we sat next to a table dressed to the nines. Right out of the "Shahs of the Sunset" TV show, and they let their kids blast a DVD player on the table...no headphones.

I will gladly accept any darts, but I will now climb off my soapbox.

Last edited by twindaddy; 10-13-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: i kant sphell
Old 10-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
HIDE your kids, hide your wife, there wearing shorts in front of everyone out here!!! .
Okay. Now I want to cruise with YOU! Table mate and all! You, sir, are officially awesome!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 DCL Wonder Double Dip 2x B2B (4 stops at CC!)
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
Old 10-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post

Okay. Now I want to cruise with YOU! Table mate and all! You, sir, are officially awesome!
I concur!! Hide your kids, hide your wife.... Lol awesome reference!!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
DisneyDreamer2504
DIS Veteran

I recently cruised on the fantasy and this has given me the opportunity to fully consider what the dress code means to me. Like some people, I enjoy getting dressed up. And even when I'm not dressed up, I still take pride in my appearance and like to look nice. For me, feeling a little fancy is part of vacation. I realize that not all people feel this way, and to them being on vacation means being relaxed in every way. I barely realized there was a dress code during my first and second cruises, but bc of the change in policy I of was overly aware of it this time. I did dress up when called for, and actually wore a dress every night, some more casual than others.

As I said previously, our table mates knew nothing of formal nights and did not dress accordingly. We picked on them a bit, but otherwise fully enjoyed our time with them regardless of what they wore. I watched to see what other guests wore, and while it was obvious some were dressed as they considered 'formal,' it looked a lot like my version of 'cruise casual.' It didn't upset me though, or affect my time in anyway.

I realized that while I enjoyed dressing up, the atmosphere did not feel fancy or formal enough to require it of everyone. Not bc the mdrs aren't beautiful, but bc they are large, contain lots of people in tables close together, the bright lighting, the family noises, and the lack of music. One does not feel out of place wearing shorts, or jeans, or a dress. When I go to palo or Remy, the atmosphere is such that it calls for better dress, and you would feel out of place without it.

Again, I think all of the mdrs and other restaurants on the cruises are beautiful, wonderful experiences, and I don't expect or want them to change anything. My point is that while I think it's great to get dressed nicely each evening, I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to be dressed semi-formally every night. And also to remember that a dress code is interpreted differently by each person, and what you see as dressy, might appear sloppy to someone else, and vice versa.

Sept '10 - Wonder
Sept '11 - WDW Caribbean Beach/Dream - Honeymoon!
May '12 - AKV
Sept '13 - SSR/FANTASY
Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
llachance
Mouseketeer

Don't

really care what you wear but the hair armpits, on my cruise last week, for formal night, were a bit much. Glad he wasn't at my table.
Wonder Repositioning 2011
Magic out of Galveston 2012
Magic out of Galveston 2013
Wonder out of Galveston 2013
Back to Back Dream 2014
Dream with the Grandkids 2014 (Last cruise before Platinum)
Fantasy with the Kids 2014
Dream with my Husband for the Inaugural Castaway
5k especially for WDW marathoners
Magic to Norway with my Mom!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #27
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbypee View Post
I concur!! Hide your kids, hide your wife.... Lol awesome reference!!
Well, I was going to change from my shorts into khakis, but...

Aint nobody got time for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llachance View Post
really care what you wear but the hair armpits, on my cruise last week, for formal night, were a bit much. Glad he wasn't at my table.
That is gross. On behalf of hairy men everywhere, I apologize.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

So if I don't dress up for dinner you automatically assume I let my child run amuck? I assure you that even if I do decide to wear shorts at dinner, my son will be one of the best behaved 2 year olds you've ever laid eyes on. Let's not generalize.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
Old 10-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #29
hmurray2008
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambeaman View Post
So if I don't dress up for dinner you automatically assume I let my child run amuck? I assure you that even if I do decide to wear shorts at dinner, my son will be one of the best behaved 2 year olds you've ever laid eyes on. Let's not generalize.
Sooooo taken out of context......if you read the thread you will note that this was in response to the most oft used excuse of 'I'm on vacation, and I can <insert behaviour here>'.

I have a strong dislike when people use that as an excuse. Although this is way off topic, I will share why I have a dislike for this excuse. My most recent trip to WDW included a wonderful wake-up call at 12:30am when my room was flooded by a group of teenagers in the room above ours. Their parents were in a connecting room and when I approached them, I was told 'I'm on vacation and so are they. These things happen.'

Sooo, I definitely was not implying that if you're in shorts at the dinner table, that your child will be a heathen. I apologise if you felt that way.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #30
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

I did read the whole thread, but that's what I got from it. I get that things can be taken out of context, so that is why I was trying to clarify. Hearing your experience now I see what you meant, but there are those who do judge people based on initial appearances. I wasn't trying to start something...
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: