Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
FLkid
Mouseketeer

Solo female - which hotel would I feel safer in?

Hello all,

Taking a solo trip soon and I'm trying to decide on a hotel. I knew I wanted to stay on site for the transportation aspect. However I'm torn on which hotel to book, I don't have a lot to spend on the room so that's where my issue lies.

I was all set on pop century but now I'm wondering if port Orleans French quarter is worth the extra money? And would I feel safer there than at pop?
FLkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Collette
Mouseketeer

I've stayed solo at Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside, and rented points at Kidani Village. I loved them all depending on what my budget allowed at the time. I also felt safe at each one. I did, however, ask if I could be closer to the main building at POFQ when I was assigned building 7. They were able to do that - and I really liked building 4. Not sure what might feel safest at Pop. My favorite building there is 9 because of the quick walk across the parking lot to the buses. Several years ago I was assigned to building 6 facing the lake. For some reason that didn't feel comfortable to me and I asked for 9 again. This was before Art of Animation was built. I think I would be fine with 6 now. You might want to ask to be closer to the main building there, too, just to feel more comfortable.

I guess it's room location for me that feels safest rather than any particular resort itself.

Pop is always fun. If you want to splurge a little on yourself, I think POFQ is charming. I really like POR, too. A lot more spread out, but it is now a favorite.
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I don't think there's going to be any safety advantage to staying at POFQ over Pop Century. I do think you will like POFQ more, as it's more adult and peaceful. How much extra $ would POFQ be for your trip?
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
I don't think there's going to be any safety advantage to staying at POFQ over Pop Century. I do think you will like POFQ more, as it's more adult and peaceful. How much extra $ would POFQ be for your trip?
Agreed. I would definitely pick POFQ!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
FLkid
Mouseketeer

Around $160 more

It looks so nice, I just don't want to go over kill for just me. But pop seems like it would be very appealing to families with kids so might be a bit noisier?

On our family trip (with my brother mom and step dad) we got an offsite super 8 for $40 a night that I was perfectly fine with (room wise, wouldn't stay there alone and disney transportation is a must for my solo trip)

I even looked at downtown disney hotels with their own dedicated bus service. I just want to feel safe and have access to parks/DTD without having to drive. I also don't need a fancy pool
FLkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
TadyBug
Earning My Ears

I just stayed at POFQ last week on my solo trip. I love the property for many reasons. Size is perfect. No matter which building you are in, you are close to everything. I was in building 6 and never felt unsafe walking to and from my car, or anywhere on property. I also like the food court there. It was never crowded, food was good, and they offer the TIW discount even though it is not a table service restaurant. I also agree that this is one of the quietest properties I have stayed at. Wherever you decide to stay, ENJOY!
TadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
karly05
DIS Veteran

I have never stayed at Pop, but stayed at POFQ for the first time this year and loved it! (I'm a solo female, too.) I had a great location in Bldg 5, facing the lawn where they show movies in the evening, and near the end closest to the food court. My main request was "not ground floor" (probably doesn't matter, but I just feel better that way).

For my money, POFQ would be worth the extra, just because it's so compact and pretty, and the boat ride to DTD is a plus if you plan to spend much time there. I never felt unsafe, and there's probably no difference with Pop in that regard, just be sensible and take the usual precautions you'd use anywhere. Either place, I'd request a location convenient to the main building (would probably pay for a preferred room at Pop; there are no preferred rooms at POFQ because it's so small).

Solo trips are awesome!
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
2015 - POFQ - As P&F say: Carpe Diem! 4 Parks in a Day

karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Any chance you could afford AKL or WL? I like the fact that everything is in one building at those resorts. No need to be walking out alone at night to get to your room.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
JerseyApple
Earning My Ears

I also go solo and always request a room above the first floor as I like to keep my balcony door open and unlocked while I am in the room. One time no upper floors were available the first night but I was moved the next morning.
JerseyApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

I stayed solo in May at Pop and it was awesome.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
Agreed. I would definitely pick POFQ!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
gwynne
DIS Veteran

I would select POFQ. I've stayed there solo a few times. It's a lovely resort!

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I've stayed solo at ASSp, ASMu, and AoA and didn't feel unsafe at any of them. I'll be solo at Pop next week and expect a similar experience.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
jaiminee krikit
Mouseketeer

I stayed at Pop in August on my first solo trip. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe there. I was in the 50's section on the top floor (facing the 60's buildings). Every night when I would get back, I would walk through the gift shop/lobby instead of walking around by the luggage area because there were always other people going through the gift shop.
And I never thought it was too noisy, either. The only time I really noticed how many people were there was when I was waiting at bus stops. The pools could get loud, but I was on the other side of the building so I never heard a peep.
But, if I would have been willing to spend the extra dough, I would have rather stayed at POFQ. I love the entire atmosphere there. Don't get me wrong, Pop is super fun, but my heart belongs at Port Orleans!
My reason for staying at Pop was strictly financial. I was by myself and didn't feel I needed to stay at a more expensive resort. I know my daughter would love Pop, too, but she REALLY loves both Port Orleans resorts, so that's where she likes to stay also.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
soar2014
Looking at sanity in the rear view mirror

It's six of one,,,half dozen of the other. Not much difference as far as safety is concerned. They are both exterior-door resorts. The only way to gain a greater measure of safety is with interior-door resorts. I.e. the Deluxe.....
soar2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: