Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Raymark
Earning My Ears

Ship tour - worth the time?

We are new cruisers with two 4 yr old daughters. Is the ship tour on the first day worth our time & will it amuse our young children?

I imagine embarkation day as being busy. We will want to eat lunch, get the kids to the Mickey pool, check out our room, attend the safety drill, attend the sail away party, check out Oceaneers Club, unpack, get cleaned up for dinner........so I don't want to squeeze in the guided ship tour unless it is highly recommended.

Will it just amount to 100 people following a CM around in circles while excited kids chatter too much for anyone to hear what the CM is even talking about?
Raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
3Adevas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymark
We are new cruisers with two 4 yr old daughters. Is the ship tour on the first day worth our time & will it amuse our young children?

I imagine embarkation day as being busy. We will want to eat lunch, get the kids to the Mickey pool, check out our room, attend the safety drill, attend the sail away party, check out Oceaneers Club, unpack, get cleaned up for dinner........so I don't want to squeeze in the guided ship tour unless it is highly recommended.

Will it just amount to 100 people following a CM around in circles while excited kids chatter too much for anyone to hear what the CM is even talking about?
Great question...I am looking forward to hearing others experiences and have the same questions! We cruised on The Fantasy last Dec. with our DS 3 1/2 and he will be 4 1/2 this cruise. Did not do ship tour and wondering if we should try it this time?
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
GervaisCouple
Mouseketeer

I'd love to hear too...
GervaisCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Honestly....I think it is great of adults to get a handle on where everything is but I do not think it would really entertain kids. A CM does take a group around the ship and usually explains the "story" behind why they did things a certain way and explains the architecture and such. I found it very interesting but I know my kids would not have enjoyed it....you know your kids best.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
wcw57
DIS Veteran

would like to do this on our next cruise....when (time) is it usually offered and how long is the tour, please.

THANX!!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

there are usually 2 tours...one the first day which is more a "where everything is type tour" with explanations as mentioned above and then on the Dream/Fantasy (not sure about the classics) they have a tour called "Art of the Ship Tour" or something like that where they get into detail about the theming of the areas around the ship. This one is held more mid-cruise.

I would say they average about an hour or so.

Edited: I just found this thread which gives more info in the Art of the Theme Ship tour.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2778654

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

They had the art of theme ship tour on magic last year and it was one of my favorite activities. I did not do opening day tour. There were enough signs around that I could find my way
gumbypee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
wcw57
DIS Veteran

sooooo...day 1 tour is like an orientation talk? don't need/want that, I think.

maybe art of the ship is more to my taste
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
sambycat
DIS Veteran

i don’t think it would be super interesting to young kids but it is really a nice way to start a trip and while it is a “get your bearings” trip, it does give you pointers about the ship, allow for pictures and you can duck out early if need be. i recommend.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Also, Art of the Theme is adults only, while the embarkation day tour has no age requirement.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
GC&S
DIS Veteran

We did it for our 3 night cruise since we had not been on a ship before and the Dream was overwhelming for us. They split us up in 2 groups. Our dd is 11 and while it wasn't super entertaining to her she did like it. It took less than an hour and gave us a good overview.

We thought it was very helpful and our guide was wonderful and answered tons of questions and gave us a lot of information. And he was really funny. We ran into him a couple of times and he remembered us from the tour and asked how many times we had gotten lost.
GC&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
4HOLIDAYS
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't do it for a child under 10 or so. I didn't see any tweens or early teens on either last trip. As adults, my dh and I enjoyed it.
4HOLIDAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

DH and I took the Art Of the ship tour on the Dream. Fascinating tour, but not geared towards children. Several of the areas toured are adults only areas (bars and both Remy and Palo), so I am not even sure children would be allowed in those areas.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
kiford
Mouseketeer

We had been on the Wonder once and Magic 4 times when we went on the Dream. We decided to do the tour and was glad that we did because it was different enough from the Wonder/Magic and helped us to get our bearings right away. I would definitely recommend it for a first-timer. There were a number of young children on our tour and they didn't seem bored. It's less than an hour. I think it was at about 2 pm so we had time to board, unpack our carryons and eat lunch before the tour started. I think there was also one later in the day.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
hmurray2008
Earning My Ears

How/where do you sign up for it? Online check-in or after boarding?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: