Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Shannon525
Earning My Ears

Opinions Please: Art of Animation or Polynesian

I need opinions and advice!!

We went to Disney last year and stayed at Art of Animation cars suite and we LOVED it!! We are trying to decided this time around whether to stay there again or upgrade to Polynesian or Contemporary with a theme park view room.

Here is my situation. I will be 6 months pregnant this trip traveling with by hubby and our 2 young girls (4 and 2), staying 12/31-1/7. We loved having a suite (especially at nap time) but the buses with a double stroller were a pain and I imagine this will be more difficult 6 months pregnant. So the main reason we are thinking about upgrading would be to have easy access to the parks via monorail and of course all the perks of being in a deluxe resort but we would be giving up the comfort of a suite. So I am torn.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated. And I have a few questions.

1. What is more worth it with small kids, a suite or the monorail?

2. Will the kids love Poly or Contem. like they did AoA (which it really geared towards kids)?

3. Are the theme park view rooms worth it?

4. Which would you choose Polynesian or Contemporary if we decide deluxe?

Thanks!!
Shannon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Next year there will be major construction going on at the Polynesian. I'd go with the Contemporary. The deluxe hotels are very nice, and the service there is top notch. I've stayed at the CR, BC, YC and AKL and all were nice hotels. I prefer the BC the best out of all of them. Any of them is a good choice, though AKL is all bus transportation. None of the deluxes are going to have the major kid appeal that the AoA has. I wouldn't sweat that, though, kids will love any of the hotels.

My family stayed in a Cars suite last year and we loved that too. The experiences are different. I felt that AoA definitely had some advantages. Having two bathrooms and the separate space for the kids was fantastic. We all loved the Big Blue pool as well as the Cozy Cone pool. We also don't really care for the buses, so we rented a car. Having a car was a huge improvement over the bus and made things a lot easier. We stayed at the BC this year, and we absolutely loved it. We really, really missed the second bathroom and extra space of the AoA. Depending on how pregnant you'll be, that second bathroom might really swing things toward AoA.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon525 View Post

1. what is more worth it with small kids, a suite or the monorail? both are important in different ways! A suite is always nice due to the considerable amount of extra square footage. The little ones can be fast asleep in their sleeping areas (i imagine it's the fold out bed in the living room area) while the adults have their own bedroom and don't have to abide by a toddler sleep schedule. On the flip side is the convenience of the monorail. When my daughter was younger i rotated the monorail resorts for quite some time as the ease of transportation to/from mk and ep made the price worth it, especially since i'm a single mom with only two hands to carry everything!

2. will the kids love poly or contem. Like they did aoa (which it really geared towards kids)? honestly? Probably not. Since they already have an aoa stay under their belts, i think the only deluxe resorts that would appeal to them would be bc/yc simply because of how awesome stormalong bay is. Kids like big and bright things, and the values are very well known for their over the top themeing. However, they may think it's pretty cool to have the monorail go through their resort (cr).

3. are the theme park view rooms worth it? having a tpv is certainly nice but my opinion is that they aren't worth the price tag. For the price of a regular tpv room you could stay club level in a garden view room! With club level you get help from the itinerary team with booking adrs, they're able to help set up in-room celebrations, and you cannot overlook the cl lounge which offers continental breakfast, light snacks, hors d'oeuvre, water, soft drinks, beer, cordials, etc.

4. which would you choose polynesian or contemporary if we decide deluxe? i'd typically pick the poly without a second thought, but with construction set to begin by the end of this year for both a new dvc property and gch refurb, cr has my vote. It's more expensive than the poly but for me it'd be worth the cost to avoid all of the noise that comes with a new building going up!

I know you didn't mention it, but have you thought about renting dvc points? I'm not positive that anything would be available given the popularity of your travel dates, but if a room was, you could easily get a 1 bedroom villa at blt (connected to cr via a bridge) for a price equal to or less than a standard tpv room at cr!

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Shannon525
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the replies!

KMB: I am quite intrigued by the thought of renting dvc points. Can you point me to a website where I can look into that?
Shannon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
mommy2twocuties
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
Next year there will be major construction going on at the Polynesian. I'd go with the Contemporary. The deluxe hotels are very nice, and the service there is top notch. I've stayed at the CR, BC, YC and AKL and all were nice hotels. I prefer the BC the best out of all of them. Any of them is a good choice, though AKL is all bus transportation. None of the deluxes are going to have the major kid appeal that the AoA has. I wouldn't sweat that, though, kids will love any of the hotels.

My family stayed in a Cars suite last year and we loved that too. The experiences are different. I felt that AoA definitely had some advantages. Having two bathrooms and the separate space for the kids was fantastic. We all loved the Big Blue pool as well as the Cozy Cone pool. We also don't really care for the buses, so we rented a car. Having a car was a huge improvement over the bus and made things a lot easier. We stayed at the BC this year, and we absolutely loved it. We really, really missed the second bathroom and extra space of the AoA. Depending on how pregnant you'll be, that second bathroom might really swing things toward AoA.
How long was the drive in a car from the AOA? We are booked at the Polynesian but I am worried about all the construction in June......
mommy2twocuties is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: