Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
dpswift
DIS Veteran

We have never had good service on Disney. Both times it was a disappointment. On our last Disney cruise I ordered a drink the first night and our assistant was wonderful, however at the end of the night he told us he was the fill in. Our real assistant was horrible. One night she dropped ice in my lap. I thought it was funny but she was upset.

Since I did not order a drink the second night she never asked me again.

We have always had great servers on Royal Carribean and Carnival.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
Laura24
Wants to live in Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Living Color"!
I want to push the *Mickey Whistle* button while doing my *Going to SEA Mickey Dance*

Location: Past: Island Park (LI). Present: Northwest Jersey Future: TBD!

I don't know why our table of three couples didn't say anything between us until the fourth night. I think we all hit it off so well, we were caught up in conversation through all courses and the time just whizzed by before we had noticed. It was just so not the norm based on prior DCL cruises. I'm pretty sure the AS was a newbie, he looked so overwhelmed. I think his name was Tanhawan....he is teamed up with Brenton.
... CASTAWAY CLUB PLATINUM

Last edited by Laura24; 10-10-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Laura24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
DisneyDreamer2504
DIS Veteran

I've never had a great serving team, nothing bad but nothing memorable. This past cruise the first night our AS asked us what we wanted to drink about 30 sec after we sat down, but we hadn't received menus yet or even been introduced. So we asked for menus and asked about wine, and all he did was point out the wine package info. We gave up on alcohol at dinner for the rest of the cruise, which was fine bc we preferred the bars. They did get better as the week went on, but it was a bad start to the week. And I ordered iced tea the first night, which I thought was the worst I'd ever had (light brown water, no tea taste at all) and he brought it every night after even though I never touched it and made it clear I didn't like it. And no, he wasn't new. I wasn't upset and didn't mention it to head servers, just disappointed. Still look forward to our next cruise though!

Sept '10 - Wonder
Sept '11 - WDW Caribbean Beach/Dream - Honeymoon!
May '12 - AKV
Sept '13 - SSR/FANTASY
DisneyDreamer2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #19
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

This new server thing is interesting; on our June 2012 cruise on the Fantasy, we had a very experienced server and a brand new asst. server. It was his first cruise with his own assignment. I noticed he didn't have as many tables and he was almost TOO attentive. Very nice & sweet though.

When we went back in Dec., we had our favorite serving team to date. The asst. server offered wine/liquor every night, even tho we never ordered & most just stop asking after the 2nd night.

In March, we had the same server but different asst server. She was fine; just 'ok' & you could tell there was no comeradery between the two.

I am thinking that the attitudes of the servers help mold the attitude of the asst server.

We'll see who we get in 9 days

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
KnightRail
Mouseketeer

I've never had any issues with drinks, but on my very first cruise (wonder 2003 maybe?) pretty sure we had an "ears earning" AS...while he was attentive and prompt, he hadn't quite gotten a handle on maneuvering around the tables and during our second night the tray of silverware (knives, steak knives, spoons, forks, you name it it was on it) -- all clean thank goodness -- fell on me . I thankfully wasn't hurt or scraped by any means (I was 13 and slightly pissed), and he was extremely apologetic. Whatever my dessert was that night he gave me 2, and there was one in the fridge in our room with an apology note from him specifically to me...AND a pin. I gave him a hug the next night. Talk about going above and beyond!!! I can't recall his name, and the note has since vanished, but I'm pretty sure I have the pin somewhere still...not sure where.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #21
KnightRail
Mouseketeer

Correction, as I cannot count properly...I was 15 lol
Old 10-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #22
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRail View Post
I've never had any issues with drinks, but on my very first cruise (wonder 2003 maybe?) pretty sure we had an "ears earning" AS...while he was attentive and prompt, he hadn't quite gotten a handle on maneuvering around the tables and during our second night the tray of silverware (knives, steak knives, spoons, forks, you name it it was on it) -- all clean thank goodness -- fell on me . I thankfully wasn't hurt or scraped by any means (I was 13 and slightly pissed), and he was extremely apologetic. Whatever my dessert was that night he gave me 2, and there was one in the fridge in our room with an apology note from him specifically to me...AND a pin. I gave him a hug the next night. Talk about going above and beyond!!! I can't recall his name, and the note has since vanished, but I'm pretty sure I have the pin somewhere still...not sure where.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #23
wcw57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby5 View Post
I think that's a pretty isolated event.

Great! Lucky me, then!!!

although they were both very nice and we did get names on cups......
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #24
wcw57
DIS Veteran

I just re-read through most of the negative posts....

do you think it is a coincidence that the majority of negativism comes from us New Yawkuhs and those people from Joisey?

maybe we ARE a sour bunch

or maybe we aren't as easily pleased

or maybe it is just that we are more vocal and others don't like to "rock the boat" if you will allow the analogy......
Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

I have only been on magic and I fell in love with the serving team- it was the aforementioned Giuseppe and Goran. They worked well together, were attentive, charming, charismatic, entertaining etc! I loved dinner time!
gumbypee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
wcw57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbypee View Post
I have only been on magic and I fell in love with the serving team- it was the aforementioned Giuseppe and Goran. They worked well together, were attentive, charming, charismatic, entertaining etc! I loved dinner time!
how long ago were u there with them? I had Guiseppe and Raquel 2+ years ago.....He was very nice but not above any waiter you've ever had in any diner....maybe a tad worse.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #27
Laura24
Wants to live in Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Living Color"!
I want to push the *Mickey Whistle* button while doing my *Going to SEA Mickey Dance*

Location: Past: Island Park (LI). Present: Northwest Jersey Future: TBD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw57 View Post

do you think it is a coincidence that the majority of negativism comes from us New Yawkuhs and those people from Joisey?

or maybe it is just that we are more vocal and others don't like to "rock the boat" if you will allow the analogy......
Ha, now that could be it...I am originally from LI and live in NJ. Lethal combo for sure. Seriously though, I am not demanding and could have said something but just got caught up in the table chatter. I have been known to rock a boat or two but just handled it via tip and comment card.
... CASTAWAY CLUB PLATINUM
Laura24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

Quote:

how long ago were u there with them? I had Guiseppe and Raquel 2+ years ago.....He was very nice but not above any waiter you've ever had in any diner....maybe a tad worse.
October 2012. He probably learned how to be Disney by then lol
gumbypee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #29
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Quote:

Hunh...never thought about this. I've lived in New York my whole life.

We've been on three DCL cruises. I would say all of our servers were fine overall, some had quirks, but nothing that I truly was upset over or anything.

First cruise, our main server was very good and sweet, but the assistant was new. He didn't know what drinks were available (said no to my Mom about Ginger Ale) and took a LONG time to get us drinks. The main server seemed more upset by it then we were though.

Second cruise, our main server was...how shall I say, sort of distant? Everything was done well, but that was it. I did think he was sort of upset when we didn't take his food recommendations (we don't like fish, which I explained) and that our kids, then 9 and 4, wouldn't order their own meals (one has selective mutism, one has autism, which I did not explain...just said they were shy). Said no to a request for chicken noodle soup for our son (not on the menu that night, so I didn't expect it, but it would have been appreciated). Our assistant server was a very nice guy though.

Third cruise, great team. Both did a great job and were very personable. Both went out of their way to try to make our kids smile.

I tipped the recommended amount for the first two cruises, put more in each server's envelope on the third cruise.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #30
jimsubry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I must mention that our assistant server did not once, in four nights, ask any of us if we wanted drinks, coffee or tea!!!! Disney lost some revenue because my DH and I like a glass/ or two of wine with dinner. Made note of it on our comment cards for sure.
Kind of late by then!

Why didn't you mention it when the Head Server made his rounds? His only job really is to make sure the servers are making you happy. From what I observed, they desperately WANT to know if their service is "anything but excellent"!!!
jimsubry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: