Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Laura24
Wants to live in Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Living Color"!
I want to push the *Mickey Whistle* button while doing my *Going to SEA Mickey Dance*

Location: Past: Island Park (LI). Present: Northwest Jersey Future: TBD!

Did someone say drinks?

We had a great cruise on board the Dream 10/06/13 and just had to mention the only negative about it. We had some awesome table mates but I must mention that our assistant server did not once, in four nights, ask any of us if we wanted drinks, coffee or tea!!!! Disney lost some revenue because my DH and I like a glass/ or two of wine with dinner. Made note of it on our comment cards for sure.
... CASTAWAY CLUB PLATINUM
Laura24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura24 View Post
We had a great cruise on board the Dream 10/06/13 and just had to mention the only negative about it. We had some awesome table mates but I must mention that our assistant server did not once, in four nights, ask any of us if we wanted drinks, coffee or tea!!!! Disney lost some revenue because my DH and I like a glass/ or two of wine with dinner. Made note of it on our comment cards for sure.
My last cruise on the Fantasy was the same way. I had to practically beg to order a glass of wine. I didn't understand why she couldn't pick up on the fact that I ordered a glass every night!

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Sounds unfortunately like a newbie. I don't know if we just got really lucky or what, but I'm starting to really panic on for my Magic cruise. I had such a great server for Dream, and if our Magic lets us down, my BIL may never, "REALLY NEVER!!" step foot on another cruise again! Just getting him on this one is a big risk!

Who can I request for the Magic...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Sounds unfortunately like a newbie. I don't know if we just got really lucky or what, but I'm starting to really panic on for my Magic cruise. I had such a great server for Dream, and if our Magic lets us down, my BIL may never, "REALLY NEVER!!" step foot on another cruise again! Just getting him on this one is a big risk! Who can I request for the Magic...
I think the Magic will have a decent number of veterans working on it - I wouldn't worry too much about this. Also, you aren't cruising until May, so there are contracts that will be rotating and whom you request may not even be on board.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Did you not say anything? I live for the MDR iced tea as it's brewed tea vs from a fountain. It's a must have for me!

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Old 10-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
I think the Magic will have a decent number of veterans working on it - I wouldn't worry too much about this. Also, you aren't cruising until May, so there are contracts that will be rotating and whom you request may not even be on board.

Shucks, Silver. You always know what to say.

~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Shucks, Silver. You always know what to say.
Lol. I was just noticing a knee jerk fear reaction. I'm just trying to calm your nerves

Honestly, in all of our cruises, we've had good service. They've ranked from absolutely stellar to just 'present.' Even the teams that were just 'present' succeeded in doing their jobs, even tho we weren't wowed. I personally can't say we had awful service (now we have had a few less than stellar stateroom attendants tho).

If that was me (the OP), no way I would've not said something. Mama needs her tea (and so does my DH) and our DD drinks white milk. We are fine with water, but beverage service is their job.

Don't worry TwinPrincessMermaids, the odds are in your favor. Turn your nervousness into exciting anticipation!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
wcw57
DIS Veteran

RE: Magic

we had Raquel in Feb 2011...she was brand-spankin' new! AND IT SHOWED!!!

she was....shall we say.....terrible. so bad that she was "absent" after Wed (post the "exceptional service" spiel)......don't know if she is still there and she might be marvelous now but I would be on the alert.....

that goes for Guisseppe, too....our head server. Good luck getting drinks and coffee and dessert and anything else to come out at the same time!

I am sure you will have a great team.....i hope
Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
crabby5
Earning My Ears

servers

I think that's a pretty isolated event. We've had really good servers both times we've been on the Dream. We get the wine package, so the menu is on the table when we sit down, but even for regular drinks- after the first night, our drinks were on the table when we sat down (it was whatever we had the previous night but we asked for something different a couple times). My daughter's cup even had her name written on the lid.
crabby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby5 View Post
I think that's a pretty isolated event. We've had really good servers both times we've been on the Dream. We get the wine package, so the menu is on the table when we sit down, but even for regular drinks- after the first night, our drinks were on the table when we sat down (it was whatever we had the previous night but we asked for something different a couple times). My daughter's cup even had her name written on the lid.
Exactly. I've been on all 4 ships and this has been my experience.

My fave serving teams have been on our 7-night cruises - the Magic & Fantasy. The ones on the Dream & Wonder were fine, just not overly memorable.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sorry you had such a bad AS! I would have totally called her out on it and spoken with the Head Server!

I am happy to report that I had an absolutely phenomenal dining team on my Sept 1 Dream crusie! Selo was Head Server; Feridun, the best Server ever; and Memfis our wonderful Assistant Server! Anybody heading on the Dream should request these amazing people!!!

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Did you not say anything? I live for the MDR iced tea as it's brewed tea vs from a fountain. It's a must have for me!

Me too!! Love the MDR iced tea!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Weird. I have occasionally felt a little too pressured to drink (not often and not badly), but never ignored for wine!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sounds unfortunately like a newbie. I don't know if we just got really lucky or what, but I'm starting to really panic on for my Magic cruise. I had such a great server for Dream, and if our Magic lets us down, my BIL may never, "REALLY NEVER!!" step foot on another cruise again! Just getting him on this one is a big risk! Who can I request for the Magic...
Bad service is an anomaly on DCL, not the other way around. We've sailed four times and have yet to be disappointed with our serving team. I'm looking forward to our first trip on the Magic in January. And I would not farm for recommendations here, either, as what one person considers great service might not be the same for you. The only time we have ever requested a server we had had him before, knew we were compatible, and were sailing around the same time so we hoped his contract time would be the same. Never have been on the Magic we're trusting the DCL dining managers to place us where they feel is best, and they have yet to fail us.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly. I've been on all 4 ships and this has been my experience.

My fave serving teams have been on our 7-night cruises - the Magic & Fantasy. The ones on the Dream & Wonder were fine, just not overly memorable.

Pretty much the same as we've noticed it on each ship as well. Don't think we've ever had a bad/unattentive serving team.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: