Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
PaulaVonSchweetz
Mouseketeer

Wilderness Lodge vs BCV

Planning trip and have option to stay at Wilderness Lodge or BCV. I am loyal to my BLT and all of the conveniences that come with not having to take disney busses to MK or Epcot (where we spend most of our time anyways)

I know I can boat over to CR for monorail from Wilderness and BCV is right at the Epcot back entrance so thats a pro for each. I would like to know what other people think of these resorts. Any advantages of one over the other? What did you like most about the one you have stayed in?
We have one 3 year old with us.
September 2009 - Caribbean Beach
December 2011 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
May 2012 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2012 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
December 2013 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
April 2014 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2014 - Boardwalk Villas - WOO HOO!!
April 2015 - TBD
PaulaVonSchweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
fairytalesfireflies
Earning My Ears

For me it would come down to when you're traveling. If it is during warmer weather I could do BCV for the pool! Otherwise I like WL for proximity to MK and the monorail.
fairytalesfireflies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalesfireflies View Post
For me it would come down to when you're traveling. If it is during warmer weather I could do BCV for the pool! Otherwise I like WL for proximity to MK and the monorail.
I agree with this.

The only thing I'd add is that the dining is quite different at both resorts. At Beach Club, you have more options, but they're not necessarily close by.

Beach Club wins for more sit-down options, especially if you include the Boardwalk and World Showcase restaurants. But if you just want a quick counter service place, I think Roaring Forks at WL is better than the Beach Club Marketplace & Hurricane Hanna's put together.

Roaring Forks is right off the WL lobby, with lots of chairs nearby and outside. There's a pretty good variety of items too, and they're fast.

At BC, the Marketplace sounds better in theory than it actually works, at least from my experience. For one thing, there's little to no seating. Secondly, it's basically combined with the gift shop, so you have people checking out with large souvenir purchases, exchanging items, asking the clerks about everything, etc. when you just want to grab your food and go.

Hurricane Hanna's was undergoing some renovations when we were there, so it may be better now. But at the time it didn't have the variety of items that Roaring Forks has. Secondly, it's in the middle of the pool area, which is inconvenient and often crowded.

Beaches and Cream is fun, convenient, and tasty, but it's a sit-down restaurant. They have a "To Go" window, but AFAIK it's only ice cream.

I think the next time I go to WDW, I might do a split stay. I'd stay at WL to do MK (the boat is fun and convenient) & AK (where you need to take a bus anyway). Then, transfer to BCV to do Epcot & DHS conveniently.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaVonSchweetz View Post
Planning trip and have option to stay at Wilderness Lodge or BCV. I am loyal to my BLT and all of the conveniences that come with not having to take disney busses to MK or Epcot (where we spend most of our time anyways)

I know I can boat over to CR for monorail from Wilderness and BCV is right at the Epcot back entrance so thats a pro for each. I would like to know what other people think of these resorts. Any advantages of one over the other? What did you like most about the one you have stayed in?
We have one 3 year old with us.
Being walking distance to Epcot is amazing!!! You really get to spend a lot of time in World Showcase because you can just pop over there whenever you want (assuming you have hoppers). And the walk is really fun and interesting...not like the BLT walk where it's just kind of a path. And it really is pretty over there by those resorts.

One of the downsides to BC is the QS, but there is enough there, it's not like you will starve lol.

Also, I didn't think Stormalong Bay was a great pool, I would prefer a normal pool. First of all, it was super crowded. I found the pirate ship slide to be very annoying the way you had to cross the main sidewalk to get to it. I think for older kids who are strong swimmers it would be a great pool. It might also be really neat for a 3 yo though, with all of the sandy areas. So my kids might have just been in the middle on that one. We ended up using the quiet pool.

Anyway, I think the biggest draw to BC is the location. It is really neat to be able to walk to Epcot and DHS (or take the boat). It's just very lively and fun and pretty over there. HTH!
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
I think the next time I go to WDW, I might do a split stay. I'd stay at WL to do MK (the boat is fun and convenient) & AK (where you need to take a bus anyway). Then, transfer to BCV to do Epcot & DHS conveniently.
A BC split stay is a great idea.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

I personally love the BC but I would agree with the time of year. If it is cold and the pool really isn't an option I would say WL for proximity to Monorail and MK....unless you are EC people then there is no question BCV is for you. The pool is a major plus at BC. Also, fine dining options around BC is a great plus (Flying Fish, Yachtsman, Bluezoo, Ill Milano, anything in EC). WL is a great option too for different dining options. People always think you are stuck at the lodge...wrong! Take a boat to CR and go to Chef Mickeys, Cali Grill, or jump on the Monorail and go to Ohana's, Narcoosee's.

Bottom line...which park/access means more to you and what time of year should be your major decision points.
1990's-2006 - Multiple trips ...mostly to BC, 2010 - BC, July 2012 - AKL, BLT, December 2012 - BC, April 2013 - DL, DCA Offsite, July 2013 - BLT, December 2013 - BC, July 2014 - BLT, October 2014 - S&D, 2014-15? - DCL, BC?

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
The only thing I'd add is that the dining is quite different at both resorts. At Beach Club, you have more options, but they're not necessarily close by.

Beach Club wins for more sit-down options, especially if you include the Boardwalk and World Showcase restaurants. But if you just want a quick counter service place, I think Roaring Forks at WL is better than the Beach Club Marketplace & Hurricane Hanna's put together.

Roaring Forks is right off the WL lobby, with lots of chairs nearby and outside. There's a pretty good variety of items too, and they're fast.

At BC, the Marketplace sounds better in theory than it actually works, at least from my experience. For one thing, there's little to no seating. Secondly, it's basically combined with the gift shop, so you have people checking out with large souvenir purchases, exchanging items, asking the clerks about everything, etc. when you just want to grab your food and go.

Hurricane Hanna's was undergoing some renovations when we were there, so it may be better now. But at the time it didn't have the variety of items that Roaring Forks has. Secondly, it's in the middle of the pool area, which is inconvenient and often crowded.

Beaches and Cream is fun, convenient, and tasty, but it's a sit-down restaurant. They have a "To Go" window, but AFAIK it's only ice cream.
I agree with everything here, but wanted to add that I think the WL has just as good a variety of sit downs close by as it's a quick boat ride to the CR where you can hop on the monorail to go to the Poly and GF for dining. With that said, my choice would be the WL. We haven't stayed at BCV, but have stayed at the BC and while we loved the resort and had a nice stay, we prefer the WL and the MK area and having a good variety of CS options available at the resort is important to us. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose as they are both great depending on what your preference is as far as theme/decor, convenience, etc.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
PaulaVonSchweetz
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. Sone great tips and opinions here. Looks like ill be having a long conversation with my hubby tonight.

As far as time of year we are looking at Apr 27- May 2. And whike hubby and I are major epcot lovers I know we will be more in MK for our son.
Its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

I do appreciate thepost about the crowded pool at BC. I hadnt thought of that with a little one and we spend lots of time in the water.

Thanks again!!
September 2009 - Caribbean Beach
December 2011 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
May 2012 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2012 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
December 2013 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
April 2014 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2014 - Boardwalk Villas - WOO HOO!!
April 2015 - TBD
PaulaVonSchweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaVonSchweetz View Post
Thanks everyone. Sone great tips and opinions here. Looks like ill be having a long conversation with my hubby tonight.

As far as time of year we are looking at Apr 27- May 2. And whike hubby and I are major epcot lovers I know we will be more in MK for our son.
Its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

I do appreciate thepost about the crowded pool at BC. I hadnt thought of that with a little one and we spend lots of time in the water.

Thanks again!!
We have stayed at both BCV's and WL and love them both. One thing to consider is that the Flower and Garden Show will be going on during your stay. There will be food booths again this year, like last year, and there is no resort more convenient to Epcot than the BC & BCV's.

The quiet pool at the BCV's is just about empty most of the time because everyone is at SAB. We were at the BC just about the exact same time in 2011 as you plan to be, and we loved spending time at that pool. There were only a few other people in it.

The other benefit of the BCV's is that the bus transportation is much better from that resort than from the WL, in my opinion. BCV's is located near three parks, two of which you can walk to, so overall you are spending less time on a bus with a stay at an Epcot area resort than a MK area resort.

The WL bus shares with either FW or GF. It picks up first at WL and then travels to either one of the two other resorts before heading to the parks. The return home was quick, though, since WL is the first resort stop on the way back from the parks. The exception would be MK, which has a direct bus to and from MK and is about a 5 minute ride.

Both resorts have boats and the boat from WL to MK is really nice and only about 12 minutes long. We loved the boats. You can take the boat to CR and then the monorail to Epcot to avoid the annoying bus ride to Epcot, but it is a little longer travel time that way. You won't need to take the boat to Epcot from BCV's since it is closer to walk then to go to the boat dock. The boat to HS is about a 15 minute ride and makes stops at BW and Swan/Dolphin. We like to walk home (back to the BC) from HS at night. It is relaxing and you don't have to wait for a boat.

The bus from BCV to MK is direct on the way to the park. It stops at YC first, then BC, then on to MK. The bus back stops at YC first, but they are close together. Sometimes the bus will stop at the BW, Swan and Dolphin, but that is not something that has happened to us in years.

We have been with our three year old grandchildren both at BCV's and at WL (different grandkids). Yes, it is true that three year olds love MK, but three year olds are excited about everything. It is very convenient to go over to MK from BCV's in the morning, come back to go swimming, and then walk over to Epcot for the food booths at the Flower and Garden Show at night. How could anything be better? In fact, our favorite thing to do is to take the bus to MK then take the monorail back, walk through Epcot, stopping at Club Cool, and then returning to the BC that way. It is one less bus ride.

But we loved WL and our grandchildren, age 5 and 3, had a great time there. It is perfect for kids that age. It is just such a pain to go to Epcot, HS and AK from there.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973

Last edited by Wood Nymph; 10-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: