Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Nope!

No but seriously, enjoy! I think your idea of economizing on food is a great option if it helps on the budget. We've been eating more and more QS unless we have free dining because we find that the food tastes roughly the same anyway.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
sweetnjmom
Mouseketeer

I did slightly.

When the FD promotion came out in August, we were booked at POR (rack rate) and our package price, with dining, was @$3300.

We couldn't get any rooms with FD at POR when we were there. If we could have, we'd have saved $800. But we couldn't, nor could we at CSR. And our "deal breaker" was the Full beds at CBR which DID have the FD rooms when we were going.

We didn't want to pay rack rate at POR, so we switched to WL for $100 more for the week (woods view with free dining). So sometimes I felt guilty that we didn't save $800 and could have sucked up the Full beds. But for the most part I'm super excited to stay at a deluxe resort just a short boat ride from the Magic Kingdom. And we only went $100 over our original budget.

Past trips off property: 4/80, 1/81, 6/94 and 5/09
Past trips on property: 8/90 GF, 10/96 CBR, 11/01 ASM, 5/02 POR, 5/06 CSR
sweetnjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
trishadono
DIS Veteran

I am always grateful to be there.

I wish i had upgraded when staying value or mod. But NEVER regretted my deluxe stays .

If you can you should.
CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC 19 17
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

If you can afford it and it makes you very happy and you're greatful about the luck you have to be staying there... Then stop feeling guilty.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
tinksgilrs251520
I want to be at WDW

I have booked a moderate vacation for 2014.We usually stay at the values but my daughter is turning 16 next year and that's where she wants to spend her birthday so i kinda felt guilty but then again its not that much of a difference. The dinning is what killing me but I am cutting back on unnecessary spending and picking up extra shifts at work and even doing some creative ways to make extra money. Everything always works out its just i worry until i actually check in at the hotel and then all my worries seem to go away.

tinksgilrs251520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

I have trouble with spending more money even if I can afford it. My trip next year is the first time I could afford to stay at any resort I wanted but I can't talk myself into spending that much money. So I am staying at my old favorite of POFQ. Even though I would love to stay at the Contemporary or Grand Floridian. I just can't get past the cost difference!

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #22
Momoftwins+1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
I have trouble with spending more money even if I can afford it. My trip next year is the first time I could afford to stay at any resort I wanted but I can't talk myself into spending that much money. So I am staying at my old favorite of POFQ. Even though I would love to stay at the Contemporary or Grand Floridian. I just can't get past the cost difference!
We were like that about POFQ, but after adding twins to our family of 3 we couldn't stay as a family of 5 anymore so we decided to bite the bullet on the Contemp...and it was so worth it! Now if DH and I went alone, we'd probably use POFQ because it is quaint and we have special memories there and we go at a casual pace. With kids however, if we were traveling alone we'd chose a deluxe on the monorail every time. (CSR is traveling with family in 2014 so we chose what was in everyone's budget) It is hard to make that first reservation at a deluxe, especially after paying value or mod rates in the past but after we did it, we no longer felt guilty about booking deluxe in the future.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #23
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Nope.

Not one tiny little bit.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
This is very much how I feel. We are fortunate that we can afford most of the resorts (thanks in large part to the fantastic rate Disney offers)... it's just hard for me to justify the added cost. We are the type that will stay Motel 6 or Hilton when traveling: a room is a room.

That said, we have had a lot of loss in our family over the last year and one thing it taught us was to cherish the time with family and make our time meaningful. While we could stay off-property in a tiny room and save a ton, we know that by finding a nice place to stay with great amenities will only enhance our trip and hopefully make those moments even brighter. It's just finding that happy medium between picking the right room for a better trip and not having the cost weight on my mind!!!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #25
StephenandLisaS
Earning My Ears

We usually go for a moderate resort, until our last trip in Dec 2012, it was just me and DW so we go a King Bed at Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs, we stay in the parks most of the time so all we use the resort for is sleeping, and the occasional meal. My wife has stayed at the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary when she was young, I just don't see the point in paying extra for a place to sleep since we spend most of our time in the parks.

Stephen Lisa and Peyton
StephenandLisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #26
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

No not as long as I'm comfortable with the cost, and can afford it. I won't upgrade to CL unless I get 35% discount, and the cost to upgrade is around 100.00 a night. The only deluxe resort I can't seem to spend the money on is GF. I like WL and Poly, and when I compare the difference in price I can't justify it.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
Couchy
DIS Veteran

I have felt a tinge of...." you could save $$ elsewhere" but then I realize I would want to be at BC/YC and would miss the convenience of it. I would be annoyed by all the busing and be missing walking to 2 parks. I would hate not having the WS in my backyard and strolling the Boardwalk at night, and that would make me miserable while at WDW.

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #28
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
I am truly trying to enjoy the planning for our trip next year, but I keep having a nagging guilt because I picked the more expensive option v. two cheaper options. It's not even DH that's guilting me - this is all self-inflicted!!! Our criteria: * Space! Bigger the better with me, DH, 2 DDs, and Family Friend * 3 beds prefered; lacking 3rd bed, space for an air mattress * Prefer stroller access from at least 1 park * Great pool! (zero-entry is a plus!) * Prefer immersion in Disney (first property stay for FF, youngest DD) We could stay at SOG and save, but we wouldn't get the theming and benefits of a Disney hotel and the cost of transportation to and from MCO cuts into the savings. POR (the only mod that meets most our criteria) was sold out at our rate, and I also debated a standard room at WL but we really want either a third bed or the space for an air mattress and we'll have a Pack n Play, so space would be tight. When I looked at the WL bunk rooms, the cost was about the same for BC, so I decided to book BC. It meets our criteria, and we loved YC last year, but I feel like we should be more economical. DH feels we can drop a sit-down or two and make up any cost, and FF is so appreciative that we're letting her tag along, she's up for what we think is best. Does anyone else have this same issue: feeling guilty for not taking the more economical route?
First, we definitely pick a vacation we can afford.
Second, we are very similar in that we love Space-lol!!

You will definitely love BC!!
The only thing I was trying to understand, was how much room your family needed.

Are you saying that you will need room for either a 3rd bed & a pack & play?
BC rooms are a bit on the tight side.
Could the FF sleep on the Day bed & then fit the pack & play? The other option is a rollaway bed which is a great size for someone who doesn't fit in the day bed.

I'll be totally honest, & just give you my OP.
If you could rent points from a DVC member, I think you would definitely make out much better.
The space that you need would definitely work out in the DVC vs the Standard BC room. The only other room category that would help with the space is the Deluxe room, but that is CL.

Obviously you're familiar with the space, if you've stayed YC, but the reason we didn't book BC this time was that they cannot guarantee a Day bed & we have kids who are teens of the opposite sex.

Are you flying or driving with packing the air mattress? The rollaway bed would save you suitcase space :-)

It was just a suggestion.. I'm sure you know what fits your family best, but I just thought I'd throw another option out there.

The only thing is that DVC you cannot have a rollaway bed or air mattress due to fire codes.

Hope you have a great trip!! Even though GF is my home away from home, I'm overruled with the families vote staying right by Epcot, lol!! I won't tell them, but I love Epcot as well, I just love my GF :-)
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

No guilty at all. I subscribe to the principle that money spent on making my family life easier/happier is money well spent so I splurge what I can when I can.

We're splurging a lot this next trip, 13 days on site (not a deluxe because I love POFQ) plus other 11 days onsite at Universal, balloon ride, Wishes Dessert Party, both MNSSHP and MVMCP... I feel it's worth it and I can't wait to do it all.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #30
Ames389
Earning My Ears

I do feel guilty. I have been so many times and my kids who are now teens and grown with a family of their own still prefer values. I love the mods especially POR or POFQ. I even booked next years trip in a Royal Room and my kids asked me to change it to ASMu...so I did. Basically it means my food is now free in a twisted way! As long as we are comfortable I am okay.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: