Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Does anyone feel guilty when they pick the more expensive option?

I am truly trying to enjoy the planning for our trip next year, but I keep having a nagging guilt because I picked the more expensive option v. two cheaper options. It's not even DH that's guilting me - this is all self-inflicted!!!

Our criteria:
* Space! Bigger the better with me, DH, 2 DDs, and Family Friend
* 3 beds prefered; lacking 3rd bed, space for an air mattress
* Prefer stroller access from at least 1 park
* Great pool! (zero-entry is a plus!)
* Prefer immersion in Disney (first property stay for FF, youngest DD)

We could stay at SOG and save, but we wouldn't get the theming and benefits of a Disney hotel and the cost of transportation to and from MCO cuts into the savings. POR (the only mod that meets most our criteria) was sold out at our rate, and I also debated a standard room at WL but we really want either a third bed or the space for an air mattress and we'll have a Pack n Play, so space would be tight.

When I looked at the WL bunk rooms, the cost was about the same for BC, so I decided to book BC. It meets our criteria, and we loved YC last year, but I feel like we should be more economical. DH feels we can drop a sit-down or two and make up any cost, and FF is so appreciative that we're letting her tag along, she's up for what we think is best.

Does anyone else have this same issue: feeling guilty for not taking the more economical route?
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
I am truly trying to enjoy the planning for our trip next year, but I keep having a nagging guilt because I picked the more expensive option v. two cheaper options. It's not even DH that's guilting me - this is all self-inflicted!!!

Our criteria:

We could stay at SOG and save, but we wouldn't get the theming and benefits of a Disney hotel and the cost of transportation to and from MCO cuts into the savings. POR (the only mod that meets most our criteria) was sold out at our rate, and I also debated a standard room at WL but we really want either a third bed or the space for an air mattress and we'll have a Pack n Play, so space would be tight.

When I looked at the WL bunk rooms, the cost was about the same for BC, so I decided to book BC. It meets our criteria, and we loved YC last year, but I feel like we should be more economical. DH feels we can drop a sit-down or two and make up any cost, and FF is so appreciative that we're letting her tag along, she's up for what we think is best.

Does anyone else have this same issue: feeling guilty for not taking the more economical route?
Sometimes.

But, then I think that if I were truly being economical, I probably wouldn't take the vacation at all.

So then we decide to vacation, and do so comfortably (by our standards) and if that means spending more money and we're not breaking the bank, then so be it.

We haven't regretted a dollar spent yet.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
NewmanFamily6
Mouseketeer

I don't think anyone should feel guilty about why they choose options. It is your vacation and go with what works for you!

Next trip: January 2015 @ All Star Sports
NewmanFamily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Joan S.
DIS Veteran
Needs to 'fess up to DH about the next WDW trip!

Hi, I have stayed at all 3 and all I can say is you will LOVE the BC!! Easy access to 2 parks,best pool on property,lots of dining choices in the area and great themeing. I think the value of a vacation should be in doing and staying where you enjoy. You could also look into renting points to stay at the BCV?? Joan
Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
fairytalesfireflies
Earning My Ears

Yes, I feel a bit guilty. We're staying at WL this time with hoppers as opposed to non hoppers in a value. I told myself that this is our one time splurge. DD is seven and I think this will be the last trip that is truly magical for her so why not go all out.

Like the PP said, I don't think too much about it or I probably wouldn't go at all.
fairytalesfireflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Sometimes.

But, then I think that if I were truly being economical, I probably wouldn't take the vacation at all.

So then we decide to vacation, and do so comfortably (by our standards) and if that means spending more money and we're not breaking the bank, then so be it.

We haven't regretted a dollar spent yet.

This is us pretty much to a tee. I figure I work way too hard for my money and our family vacations are way too important to us. As long as I can do it, I do, with no regrets!

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

I definitely feel your pain. I booked a Deluxe resort for the first time and continuously go back and look at the price difference of moderate options and see what we would be "saving" by staying moderate. DH finally got it through to me that he's not worried about the cost and he just wants me to be happy and in a place that I might not stay when DD comes with us on our next trip. Takes the pain out of it a little bit
Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
MommaBarb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafox18 View Post
I definitely feel your pain. I booked a Deluxe resort for the first time and continuously go back and look at the price difference of moderate options and see what we would be "saving" by staying moderate. DH finally got it through to me that he's not worried about the cost and he just wants me to be happy and in a place that I might not stay when DD comes with us on our next trip. Takes the pain out of it a little bit
We're also staying deluxe for the first time, but we were looking at two rooms with my sister vs one room at CR. We may not be going back for a while, if at all, and we wanted to stay that close to MK at least once.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post

Our criteria:

I bargain shop and cut corners all year. When I go on vacation, I want to be able to take a vacation from all of the economical tricks I have to pull the rest of the time. I want to stay wherever I want, eat what I please and purchase anything that makes me happy. I only second-guessed our first deluxe stay. After that, there have been no regrets.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

The only reason why I would ever feel guilty about my vacation choices was if it was placing a financial strain on the family. If it is comfortably within your budget, then stay wherever you please.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
dimndgal1
One little spark...

*~* hugs *~*

Thanks for everyone's replies!

I am glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way, and I know deep down, it's about enjoying the time with our kiddos and friends.

DH is very practical and his opinion is that if we were really splurging, I'd be negotiating for GF or going CL. But, wanting a nice hotel and convenient amenities will make the trip more relaxing and enjoyable for everyone.

I know once we get closer, I'll be swept up in the magic and I'll be full of giddy, child-like excitement... for now, I just need to relax and realize we're worth a bit extra for this vacation!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
kapoof
DIS Veteran

No do not feel guilty. Dh and I agree on our resort, then we book. The end.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

I remember planning our first trip. I was the one getting all the info and I presented the options to DH.

1. Mod resort - meaning no balcony to go onto at night when the kids went to sleep and the kids either had to share a bed (boy & girl) or bring an air mattress.

2. Wilderness Lodge- bunkbeds for the kids and a balcony.

The price difference was $400. I thought for sure DH would want the cheaper option. He surprised me when he said, "I would rather enjoy the more expensive trip than resent the cheaper one."

Since, that has been our guiding principal when planning trips- economize where possible but don't cross the line where economizing puts a damper on the trip. If the themeing and extra room will really make your trip, then do it!

Enjoy BC- it is beautiful! The pool is awesome and being able to walk into Epcot rocks! I would stay there and go with less expensive dining any day!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
Momoftwins+1
Mouseketeer

Nope I don't feel guilty. It is a vacation for a reason. I am not doing to stay somewhere cheaper, wishing I was somewhere else if I can make the expense work.

We could stay in SOG but I wouldn't be happy there and neither would my family (to include the kids who didn't like it when we stayed there last trip for a night) so why torture myself for the sake of saving a few bucks.

As long as it is at a price point that works with your budget and doesn't mean you have to stop eating for 6 months to afford it etc...then enjoy what you booked and don't look back!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
kmb584
DIS Veteran

For as much of a penny pincher as I can be, I've never once felt guilty booking a deluxe or even better, a deluxe club level room, suite, or villa. If I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't book it.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: