Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
birdman
Earning My Ears

Atlantis in January

I am booked on the Jan 5 Dream out of PC and would like to do the Atlantis water park when we stop at Nassau. I know the weather cannot be controlled or predicted but given that the cost is pretty pricey and I believe you have to book the excursion in advance, can anyone who may have been there in early Jan provide any thoughts on the temp? Not really looking to just sit on the beach but want to do the water slides with my son.
TIA (thanx in advance)

Last edited by birdman; 10-10-2013 at 03:17 PM.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
lorimay
DIS Veteran

We were there last January and did the Atlantis excursion.
It was an overcast breezy day but warm enough to enjoy the pools and slides.

Have fun!
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
birdman
Earning My Ears

Thx. Did you do it through Disney or book separately (through Comfort Inn or Atlantis Beach Club)? Other than cost, I have read some posts about people who did the Disney Excursion getting to Atlantis quite a bit later than people who went "on their own".
Old 10-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Atlantis for a week in January and it was beautiful pool weather everyday, I did find it very windy though.
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

This year in January (mid month) we did Aquaventure through Disney.

It was an overcast, cloudy and breezy day. Probably in the low 70's. We complained a little then remembered the weather at home was in between 10 - 15 (f) and nasty. Stopped complaining and put up with the shivers we had towards the end of the day.

We were in Nassau the prior week (a "b2b" - 4 night Wonder out of Miami, and 3 days later a 3 nighter on the Dream) and the temperature was probably 10 degrees warmer, no clouds, no breeze. So the answer might be ... It Depends.

Oh yea, we booked the excursion on the Dream on embarkation day. It was very nice at Port Canaveral, so we booked. 45 minutes afterwards, dark clouds and cool breezes decended upon us.

I would wait to book on board. I would check the weather forecast before boarding to get an idea of what the weather will be like.

Here is what the sky looked like while we were there at the water park...

This is what it looked like the prior week....
Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
birdman
Earning My Ears

Thx. For some reason I thought that you had to book before you board. Agree that best case would be to wait at least until you could get some type of long range (7 day) forecast. If it supposed to be cold and rainy, not sure I want to spend that kind of money for the water park.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Thx. For some reason I thought that you had to book before you board. Agree that best case would be to wait at least until you could get some type of long range (7 day) forecast. If it supposed to be cold and rainy, not sure I want to spend that kind of money for the water park.
We'll be there in January as well and we've been wondering about the weather. We bought wetsuits for other excursions, just in case, but I'm not sure we will be able to wear them in Atlantis though not sure they would mind either. Hopefully the water is heated but if the breeze is chilly it might be worth it to drag along our wetsuits. I'm hoping that we won't need them at all.

We were there in 2012 but not during winter months. We loved it. We booked through DCL and had all the time we needed in the water park to do everything we wanted to. I've read that people do it other ways but we generally book through DCL.

I think you could just book in advance and then cancel if you decide to up to boarding, without being charged. Not sure the exact time-frame. Probably once you boarded, you might be charged. Not sure if this one fills up quickly.

Hope you have a great time!
Vidia2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

I think you can cancel DCL excursions up to 3 days before embarkation day.

Here are some people in the "Not So Lazy" River - in January
Old 10-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
I think you can cancel DCL excursions up to 3 days before embarkation day. Here are some people in the "Not So Lazy" River - in January
LOL that's what we call it too. More like rapids in some parts. Good times! :-)
Old 10-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Thx. Did you do it through Disney or book separately (through Comfort Inn or Atlantis Beach Club)? Other than cost, I have read some posts about people who did the Disney Excursion getting to Atlantis quite a bit later than people who went "on their own".
We booked before thru Disney. We had read that you could take a taxi and buy tickets same day at Atlantis. Since our port day was a Saturday we didn't want to chance it being sold out so we purchased ahead.

We personally prefer to go thru Disney just in case anything unexpected happens and risk missing the boat.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: