Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #31
Sundancer UK
DIS Veteran
 
Sundancer UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkkthunder View Post
No chance to start may 16th
Why do you say that?
Easywdw expects otherwise and I thought they were normally quite good? I'm not saying they've put up a 100% reliable prediction or anything, just wondering why you think there's no chance.
__________________
Elaine XX
Mum to 5, wife to 1, owner of a cat and dog. UK based Mouse house.

I've decided I'm not a Disney fan as everyone thinks I am - No, I'm a Disney Geek!

I have a blog. I've posted a little. If people look I might be prompted to do more...

http://aurorasjoy.blogspot.co.uk/
Sundancer UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #32
4disneybound
Earning My Ears
 
4disneybound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto area
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer UK View Post
Why do you say that?
Easywdw expects otherwise and I thought they were normally quite good? I'm not saying they've put up a 100% reliable prediction or anything, just wondering why you think there's no chance.
I saw the same thing on Easywdw:

Quote:
Although Star Wars Weekend dates are not official, Im expecting them to be:

*Friday May 16  Sunday May 18
*Friday May 23  Sunday 25
*Friday May 30  Sunday June 1
*Friday June 6  Sunday June 8

Yourfirstvisit.net is also assuming a May 16th start:

Quote:
Star Wars Weekends at Disneys Hollywood Studios look to start May 16, 2014 based on typical adjustments to Disneys operating calendar that are scheduled for that weekend.
I think that it is entirely possible. It just sucks that we have to wait to find out!
__________________
4disneybound is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #33
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran
 
squirrel4569's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 904

Interesting that there will be so many dates in May. I guess with the one split weekend that starts in May and ends in June you could go either way. Hoping that means lighter crowds the week and weekend after.
__________________
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #34
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE
 
Zooshoveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
We will be at Disney from June 1st - June 15th. Hoping to catch two different weekends. We went to Star Wars weekends for our first time in June 2011, but were not prepared for the size of crowds. I also made the mistake of trying to do regular HS stuff and Star Wars stuff at the same time. We still had a fun time though. This time I have a different plan of attack. I am doing one day "bad guys" and one day "good guys". We will do the reg HS stuff on a totally different day.
Last year we planned two HS days. One for SWW and one for the regular stuff.

Love the Light/Dark days idea!
__________________
Off Site 12/82 GF 7/90 CBR 11/12 ASSp 5/13 YC 10/14



Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #35
marypoppins81
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 416

When are the dates confirmed? We're booked 14th-30th May 2014.
marypoppins81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
yulilin3
Disney Freak
 
yulilin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 20 minutes from Magic Kingdom
Posts: 4,723

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins81 View Post
When are the dates confirmed? We're booked 14th-30th May 2014.
This years SWW were confirmed mid December 2012. It is usually confirmed mid January early February.
__________________
Por favor manténgase alejados de las puertas
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post51232123 (link to SWW 2014 Roll call)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3183780 (link SWW tips and tricks 2014)
yulilin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #37
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran
 
Music City Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,677

1)
May 23-25
May 30- June 1st
June 6-8
June 13-15

OR

2)
May 16-18
May 23-25
May 30-June 1
June 6-8

I hope #1 above is what it winds up being. I've been going to weekend 4 and it would be nice to be at weekend 3 for a change. I'd also get to go that Friday of weekend 4 which would be cool to get to go to two different weekends.

Hi, yulilin3!
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #38
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 827

I went to opening day of SWW this past May 17th.

Something that confused me though, I watched the opening skit with the troopers on top of the entrance on youtube for the years before and it was honestly one of the things I was most looking forward to. We had to wait a long bit for a bus so we got there around 7:45 (grr) and I thought we had missed it and was pretty bummed. BUT, they have moved it into the park. So the troopers ride these post/car things down the street and park and do the show. Later in the day, they are also on the main stage by the hat doing the same one. So, just my tip in case others think they missed it too!

Also, I know everyone says this, but definitely scope out a seat for the parade EARLY! I watched a ton of meltdowns and near fist fights because people who run up 5 minutes before it starts and try to squeeze into the tape CM's set down to mark viewing areas.
__________________
2004, 2005 - offsite
2007 - Boardwalk Inn
2012 - Pop Century
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #39
elkkthunder
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 45

16th is my last day at the parks so hoping that is the first date
__________________
elkkthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #40
yulilin3
Disney Freak
 
yulilin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 20 minutes from Magic Kingdom
Posts: 4,723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama View Post
1)
May 23-25
May 30- June 1st
June 6-8
June 13-15

OR

2)
May 16-18
May 23-25
May 30-June 1
June 6-8

I hope #1 above is what it winds up being. I've been going to weekend 4 and it would be nice to be at weekend 3 for a change. I'd also get to go that Friday of weekend 4 which would be cool to get to go to two different weekends.

Hi, yulilin3!
Hi back the more SWW the better right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThrillingChase View Post
I went to opening day of SWW this past May 17th.

Something that confused me though, I watched the opening skit with the troopers on top of the entrance on youtube for the years before and it was honestly one of the things I was most looking forward to. We had to wait a long bit for a bus so we got there around 7:45 (grr) and I thought we had missed it and was pretty bummed. BUT, they have moved it into the park. So the troopers ride these post/car things down the street and park and do the show. Later in the day, they are also on the main stage by the hat doing the same one. So, just my tip in case others think they missed it too!

Also, I know everyone says this, but definitely scope out a seat for the parade EARLY! I watched a ton of meltdowns and near fist fights because people who run up 5 minutes before it starts and try to squeeze into the tape CM's set down to mark viewing areas.
Yeah they moved the stormtrooper opening ceremony from the roof because of safety reasons...it's hard work being a tormtrooper, especially with the sun beating down on you. And it's easier to get to a stormtrooper if they are in the mobile vehicle than on the roof.
Good tip about the parade...also the left side of the street (if you're facing the hat) is in complete shade as opposed to the right. So if you can grab a spot at least 1 hour and a half before the parade, in the shade you'll be good to go....not exagerating on this one guys. Also there is ONE bench, on the shady side. If you have nothing else to do, it's the best spot to enjoy the parade. The only problem, you have to get there as soon as the park opens and don't leave.
__________________
Por favor manténgase alejados de las puertas
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post51232123 (link to SWW 2014 Roll call)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3183780 (link SWW tips and tricks 2014)
yulilin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #41
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran
 
PatMcDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,016

I expected the 16th, because it always seemed like it began the weekend before Memorial day.......

I wanted to go the first weekend, for various reasons. I sort of FORGOT about all the chaos from the Ebay sellers that would go on that weekend though.

I mostly like HyperSpace Hoopla, meeting a couple of characters, the parade. I would like to maybe buy something, but not if it is chaotic to even try. I had enough of THAT at D23. The Ebayers have taken over the shopping there.

Last edited by PatMcDuck; 10-17-2013 at 03:27 PM.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #42
minerva78
Mouseketeer
 
minerva78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 163

Now I feel really disappointed. When I saw the dates in the first post, I thought we were in luck because I could plan our trip for June 14 - 20 and be able to catch the end of SWW while my girls would only miss the last 3 days of school since they get out on June 18. Perfect! But now it looks more likely that it won't be that weekend based on other predictions. I swore I would not take my kids out of school for a Disney trip, but I already told DH last night about likely being able to do SWW and he was SO excited. I guess we could go June 7 - 13 instead to be safe, but I really don't want to take them out of school. Then I tell myself, they are just in pre-k and kindergarten, they won't be involved in state testing, and they didn't do much that last full week of school last year when my oldest was in pre-k. DH is a huge Star Wars fan, my girls both like the movies and my 6 year old especially loves the Clone Wars animated series. What a dilemma. It's amazing how SWW can make you change your whole way of thinking!
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #43
yulilin3
Disney Freak
 
yulilin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 20 minutes from Magic Kingdom
Posts: 4,723

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva78 View Post
Now I feel really disappointed. When I saw the dates in the first post, I thought we were in luck because I could plan our trip for June 14 - 20 and be able to catch the end of SWW while my girls would only miss the last 3 days of school since they get out on June 18. Perfect! But now it looks more likely that it won't be that weekend based on other predictions. I swore I would not take my kids out of school for a Disney trip, but I already told DH last night about likely being able to do SWW and he was SO excited. I guess we could go June 7 - 13 instead to be safe, but I really don't want to take them out of school. Then I tell myself, they are just in pre-k and kindergarten, they won't be involved in state testing, and they didn't do much that last full week of school last year when my oldest was in pre-k. DH is a huge Star Wars fan, my girls both like the movies and my 6 year old especially loves the Clone Wars animated series. What a dilemma. It's amazing how SWW can make you change your whole way of thinking!
Until WDW release the official dates we won't know, but being a mom of 2 (now 17 and 13 years old) I can tell you that missing classes during pre-k and k is not a huge deal. Plus if they all are such huge SW fans then this is the place to be.
__________________
Por favor manténgase alejados de las puertas
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post51232123 (link to SWW 2014 Roll call)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3183780 (link SWW tips and tricks 2014)
yulilin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #44
delmar411
DIS Veteran
 
delmar411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 8,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva78 View Post
Now I feel really disappointed. When I saw the dates in the first post, I thought we were in luck because I could plan our trip for June 14 - 20 and be able to catch the end of SWW while my girls would only miss the last 3 days of school since they get out on June 18. Perfect! But now it looks more likely that it won't be that weekend based on other predictions. I swore I would not take my kids out of school for a Disney trip, but I already told DH last night about likely being able to do SWW and he was SO excited. I guess we could go June 7 - 13 instead to be safe, but I really don't want to take them out of school. Then I tell myself, they are just in pre-k and kindergarten, they won't be involved in state testing, and they didn't do much that last full week of school last year when my oldest was in pre-k. DH is a huge Star Wars fan, my girls both like the movies and my 6 year old especially loves the Clone Wars animated series. What a dilemma. It's amazing how SWW can make you change your whole way of thinking!
This is the time of their life that you can take them out of school without any concerns. In our experience state testing starts in 3rd grade and it is never at the end of the year, it is in the fall and spring.

I would move our trip without a second thought on the matter.
__________________
Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one. ~Abbott Joseph Liebling
The test of democracy is freedom of criticism. ~David Ben-Gurion
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #45
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran
 
squirrel4569's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 904

Is there special food or other dining during SWW?
__________________
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: