Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Dolphin and Swan Raise Service Fee again

Just an FYI.
The Dolphin/Swan hotels have raised their resort service fee for the second time this year, back in April they raised it to $17+tax and now it's $20+tax. Since we always drive we would have to couple the service fee with the self parking or Valet parking fee and all of a sudden the rate per night jumps up another $40 to $50.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

That's why I won't stay there. I don't necessarily mind a separate parking fee, because not everyone drives. But if it's a mandatory resort fee it should just be rolled into the room rate. To advertise otherwise is false advertising in my opinion, even if they are putting it in the fine print when you book. It makes comparing rates between resorts much more difficult.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
MsThumper
Mouseketeer

Ditto. I have looked at those hotels hoping to find a less expensive alternative, yet stay in the EPCOT area, but since we drive, by the time we add in the service fee and parking fee, we end up staying at YC.
MsThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

Unfortunately it is happening at resorts everywhere. I recently booked a Las Vegas hotel and it has a $25 resort fee. There are very few hotels there that do not have them.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM View Post
Unfortunately it is happening at resorts everywhere. I recently booked a Las Vegas hotel and it has a $25 resort fee. There are very few hotels there that do not have them.
Yes, I remember that from last year, but the big difference is that you can get GREAT deals for a vegas hotel, so even when you add in the fee you still get a very good deal. We stayed at the Paris hotel in Vegas and with the fee it was still less then $100 per night.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

The resort fee gets waived for SPG Platinum members. As recently as May of this year, SPG Gold members were able to select the waived resort fee for their check-in amenity, however I've seen reports that it may no longer be an option for Golds.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

They would be smart to just raise the room rate rather than show this fee. It really seems to upset people.

However, the rooms are still over $100 a night less expensive than any of the other EPCOT resorts.

Disney is just smart enough to throw just one price out. The average price of a Deluxe room has gone up over $120 per night in the last few years. I'm sure all the "free" parking, transportation, and WiFi are figured into that.
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
That's why I won't stay there. I don't necessarily mind a separate parking fee, because not everyone drives. But if it's a mandatory resort fee it should just be rolled into the room rate. To advertise otherwise is false advertising in my opinion, even if they are putting it in the fine print when you book. It makes comparing rates between resorts much more difficult.
I used Starwood points for a stay about 4 years ago, I got hit with the resort fee and the parking fee. So keeping it separate allows them to hit the "free stays", assuming you are not a preferred level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsm&d View Post
They would be smart to just raise the room rate rather than show this fee. It really seems to upset people.

However, the rooms are still over $100 a night less expensive than any of the other EPCOT resorts.

Disney is just smart enough to throw just one price out. The average price of a Deluxe room has gone up over $120 per night in the last few years. I'm sure all the "free" parking, transportation, and WiFi are figured into that.
That's a good point. Some DVC members complain that cash guests get "free" daily housekeeping. Not really, it's part of that $250 and up room rate.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: