Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
workin to cruise
Earning My Ears

First time to disney world. Please help

I am stopping at Disney for a couple nights on my way to stay with Family in south FL. I already got a great deal at a hotel close by that has free shuttles to all the parks. I have never been to any of the parks but have decided with a 3 year old that Magic Kingdom will be a good choice. We are going at the beginning of December.

I have some questions:
1.) is Magic Kingdom the best park for a 3 year old (he will be 3 this December)?
2.) I hear there is a way to avoid waiting in lines for rides. How do I set this up?
3.) is 1 day enough if we choose magic kingdom? Keep in mind our 3 year old will not be able to ride several of the rides.
4.) I hear you can buy a meal-plan. Is it worth it?
5.) what exactly is "downtown Disney"?

I will probably have more questions but this should be enough to get me in trouble. Thanks!
workin to cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
karenklo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by workin to cruise View Post
I am stopping at Disney for a couple nights on my way to stay with Family in south FL. I already got a great deal at a hotel close by that has free shuttles to all the parks. I have never been to any of the parks but have decided with a 3 year old that Magic Kingdom will be a good choice. We are going at the beginning of December.

I have some questions:
1.) is Magic Kingdom the best park for a 3 year old (he will be 3 this December)?
2.) I hear there is a way to avoid waiting in lines for rides. How do I set this up?
3.) is 1 day enough if we choose magic kingdom? Keep in mind our 3 year old will not be able to ride several of the rides.

I will probably have more questions but this should be enough to get me in trouble. Thanks!
1.The best park depends on what your child loves. My oldest was a Buzz fan, so the MK was the park for him. However, my second LOVES animals and to this day AK is the park he loves.
2. To avoid lines, use the Fastpass. I have not heard that they are getting rid the FP system. You put a ticket for everyone in the FP machine and get a return time. Come back to ride during that time and you usually have under a 10 (or less) wait.
3. If you are only doing 1 day at WDW, then the MK would be the best park to hit the highlights. To fully do all 4 parks I would need 7-8 days! And that does not include water parks!
4. The disney dining plan is a set-price for certain level of meals. I have not used it but others say if you are there for a week it saves a lot of money.
5.Downtown Disney is a huge area with restaurants, shops, and entertainment.

Have a great trip!!

karenklo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Most off-site hotel shuttles run infrequently and you would be better off driving your own car in case you need to leave in a hurry.

I would recommend you find a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids. It may be a bit too much information at this point but it has about all you will need.

Mk is usually best for a 3yo.

There is no way to avoid lines but you can shorten your wait by using Fastpass. There is nothing to set up before you get there.

Forget the meal plan. it's not worth it unless Disney is having a promotion and giving it away for free.

Downtown Disney is a separate area with retail shops and restaurants.
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
winthropf
Mouseketeer

To sign up for the Disney dining plan you must be staying onsite at a Disney resort.
winthropf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Theme Parks board.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I have some questions:

Regarding the meal plan - you can only buy the Disney Dining Plan if you are staying in a Disney Onsite resort. But you should definitely get ADRs or reservations for your meals before you go.

This trip we have 2 days and 1 night for MK. But don't let that discourage you - It is Disney World - it will always be there! Just figure out what you MUST do this trip and then what you'd like to do. It all depends on what you want to do. With your limited time you are probably ok to skip the shopping in Downtown Disney this trip!
Hope that helps!

LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
workin to cruise
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenklo View Post
1.The best park depends on what your child loves. My oldest was a Buzz fan, so the MK was the park for him. However, my second LOVES animals and to this day AK is the park he loves.
2. To avoid lines, use the Fastpass. I have not heard that they are getting rid the FP system. You put a ticket for everyone in the FP machine and get a return time. Come back to ride during that time and you usually have under a 10 (or less) wait.
3. If you are only doing 1 day at WDW, then the MK would be the best park to hit the highlights. To fully do all 4 parks I would need 7-8 days! And that does not include water parks!
4. The disney dining plan is a set-price for certain level of meals. I have not used it but others say if you are there for a week it saves a lot of money.
5.Downtown Disney is a huge area with restaurants, shops, and entertainment.

Have a great trip!!
does the fastpass cost money?
does downtown disney cost to get in?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
workin to cruise
Earning My Ears

my son loves buzz so he will be excited about that. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
jtowntoflorida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
does the fastpass cost money?
does downtown disney cost to get in?
Both are free. Downtown Disney is just a large shopping and eating area...essentially an outdoor, Disney-themed mall.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
workin to cruise
Earning My Ears

Rides for a 3yo at MK

is there somewhere I can find a list of rides that a 3yo can ride at MK?
thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Jess30
Mouseketeer

Fast pass is included with your ticket. There's kiosks around for rides that you put your ticket into to get the fast pass ticket. It tells you a time frame to come back to ride the ride.

DTD is free parking and it's just a large shopping area with stores and restaurants. It's ok to walk around in, but not a destination. If you have limited time, you can skip it. We have to go because my kids love goofy's candy company. We go on our first night there. The parking is a pain, so we had to park in a separate parking lot and take a shuttle there. We were supposed to return to eat at Raglan Road later that week to eat, but I canceled that ADR because I knew we'd be too tired for all of that.
Jess30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have some questions:

1) The 4 parks all offer something for people of every age. Though, with a 1 park and first time visit, I'd most whole-heartedly suggest Magic Kingdom. It's the epitome of Disney Wold as we all know it.

2) Look into the FastPass system as mentioned. Be sure to get a bit versed in how to best utilize it and also recognize that it lowers your waits, but does not eliminate them.

FastPass+ (FP+) is a system that's undergoing heavy testing right now for a near future roll out. Since this system is in flux, it may be harder to grasp how to use it, or even if you'll be available to use it (right now, it's only available to certain Disney resorts). Early December, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it may be worthwhile to keep in the back of your mind.

3) There are only a few rides that a 3 year old wouldn't be able to do (depending on height). You can look up the height restrictions either here at WDWInfo.com or over at AllEars.net (the official WDW site also has this information, but it's typically tougher to navigate as their web development team is more infatuated with style and design than functionality.) There will likely be far more than you all can do together than you expect! (Note: as far as I know, outside of the American Idol Experience at Hollywood Studios and several of the backstage tours, there are no age restrictions on the attractions, just height restrictions.)

4) The Disney Dining Plans (there are 3 "levels" of plan) are not available if staying "off-site" (slang of non-Disney resort). If you are staying at a Disney owned resort, then check out the Dining Plan subforum under Disney restaurants. The question of "worth" is pretty complex and depends on a few variables relating to your specific trip.

5) A glorified mini-mall (naw, no bias there ).

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Jess30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
is there somewhere I can find a list of rides that a 3yo can ride at MK? thanks
On the disneyworld website there should be a listing of rides and the height restrictions.
Jess30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
TXPyroMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess30 View Post
Fast pass is included with your ticket. There's kiosks around for rides that you put your ticket into to get the fast pass ticket. It tells you a time frame to come back to ride the ride.

DTD is free parking and it's just a large shopping area with stores and restaurants. It's ok to walk around in, but not a destination. If you have limited time, you can skip it. We have to go because my kids love goofy's candy company. We go on our first night there. The parking is a pain, so we had to park in a separate parking lot and take a shuttle there. We were supposed to return to eat at Raglan Road later that week to eat, but I canceled that ADR because I knew we'd be too tired for all of that.
Ride restrictions are based on height. You can use this link to find out what he can and can't ride: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/height.htm

TXPyroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
is there somewhere I can find a list of rides that a 3yo can ride at MK?
thanks
http://allears.net/tp/mk/mk.htm

There are no age requirements to speak of at any of the WDW theme parks (for your situation), only height restrictions. If they're tall enough, they're good to go.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: