Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
dessay13
Disney Newbie

Best DVC villa for aging parents?

Hi all!

DH and I are coming out in October and we're bringing my parents- both 67. They are both overweight, each have a knee replacement. My Mom just finished chemo for BC and my Dad has back issues that come and go. But they haven't been to WDW in 20 years and we really want to treat them before they get too old.

Any advice on where to rent? We've been to SSR and love it, and the buildings are basically drive-up, so that's one option. How about VGF- they really like nice accommodations. We're planning activities that don't have tons of walking- trying hard to save most of it for the parks.

Much appreciated!
2008- Coronado springs with DH
2010- SSR Villa with DH
2013- SSR Villa with DH

If you can read that, thank a music teacher!

dessay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessay13 View Post
Hi all!

DH and I are coming out in October and we're bringing my parents- both 67. They are both overweight, each have a knee replacement. My Mom just finished chemo for BC and my Dad has back issues that come and go. But they haven't been to WDW in 20 years and we really want to treat them before they get too old.

Any advice on where to rent? We've been to SSR and love it, and the buildings are basically drive-up, so that's one option. How about VGF- they really like nice accommodations. We're planning activities that don't have tons of walking- trying hard to save most of it for the parks.

Much appreciated!
October is a very popular time for DVCers to visit WDW. There are already some resorts that are sold out for big chunks of time in October in some room categories. Do you know when in October you will be going? Perhaps you could give us your dates we can give you an idea what might even be available. What room size are you considering?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
a742246
older than dirt

A 2 bedroom at the GF would be probably the best option if they like fancy.

It may be hard to find but the point totals for the GF 2 bedroom are very high and that tends to make finding a match less impossible then what I thought it would. With a little luck you may find something just keep trying.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
uramr
Jsdisneymom

I would suggest BWV or BCV if you plan to spend a lot of time at Epcot or HS and BLT or VGF if you plan to be at MK often. Also keep in mind that BLT and VGF, being on the monorail open up a lot of easy dining options. BLT is also an easy boat ride to two other resorts and their dining/entertainment options.
uramr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
Disney On The Bayou
Mouseketeer

VWL... Its a small resort and it has a beautiful but very peaceful lobby. I've taken my mother many times over the past 10 years and though she has stayed at many of the DVC resorts VWL is still her favorite. She likes going out early before sunrise and drink her coffee on the chairs outside near the front doors. The restaurants are easy to access and the over all feel of the resort is comfy.
Disney On The Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
AKLFan3
AKV Owner...I DO love the neighbors!

I suggest Animal Kingdom Villas at Kidani Village. Kidani Village has the best parking situation on property because it is the only resort with underground parking. You can park your car underneath the rooms and take the parking garage elevator that is closest to your room, making it a very short walk if your room is close to the elevator.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
chainkid
DIS Veteran

If you want them to really enjoy themselves I would rent them an ECV from an outside vendor and have it delivered to their room. I would also recommend BWV as it eliminates having to tie up the busses . you can go to three out of the four parks without much of a problem. I have had a double hip replacement and have a trick knee and I'm not overweight but I'm in my 60's and I find that an EVC makes all the difference in the world if i plan to tour the parks. If I'm just going to enjoy the resorts or just do a bit in the parks then i don't get one but if traveling with younger family members it helps to keep in the game. They don't need to get in lines with them. You can park where the strollers are and walk in and get in regular lines. It just cuts down the amount of stress on the body.

Some will say they are too proud to use them and if that is how they are then so be it. I am lucky that despite my many ailments I don't let pride slow me down. It's about having fun
chainkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

I agree with renting ECV/scooters. We rent one every time we bring my mom. She is 70, has a bad knee, and just can't keep up with the walking. The scooter makes all the difference in the world. She doesn't feel like she is holding us back and we don't feel like we are killing her with the walking!

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I'd go with something in the BW/YC/BC/Swolphin area. Convenient to two parks.

As older adults ourselves, we find we most enjoy spending time in Epcot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: