Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
KeriWDE
Mouseketeer

Can't decide - POP, POR or CBR

OK, I'm having a tough time deciding between Pop Century or Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach Resort.

I've crunched numbers until my eyes fell out of my head.

The prices I've compared use both the S/P/D and Room Only discounts, adding in Deluxe Dining Plan and appropriate tickets needed for the days we are there.

My questions are:

Is CBR or POR worth $200ish more (for the whole trip) than POP?

What do I get for that extra $200? (Hotels are for sleeping and showering when we are at WDW. I don't need luxury, but room for 4 + a toddler in pack-n-play would be nice.)

Are the TS restaurants at CBR and POR good? What other TS do they compare to?

What are the transportation situations at CBR and POR? (I *love* the dedicated buses you get at POP.)

POP is not huge. Are we going to hate the walk from our room to the buses at CBR or POR?

Do the lines for buses get ridiculous at POR or CBR with that many people staying there? We've never had any complaints with bus wait at POP. We might not make it on the first bus to arrive, but we are usually first on the next one. Which seems reasonable for the time of year we go.

What other variables should I consider when choosing between the 3? (Right now, POP's standard room is $150~ less than CBR's Standard Room for 5 nights and $200~ less for 5 nights.)

Thanks!
KeriWDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriWDE View Post
OK, I'm having a tough time deciding between Pop Century or Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach Resort.

I've crunched numbers until my eyes fell out of my head.

The prices I've compared use both the S/P/D and Room Only discounts, adding in Deluxe Dining Plan and appropriate tickets needed for the days we are there.

My questions are:

Is CBR or POR worth $200ish more (for the whole trip) than POP?

What do I get for that extra $200? (Hotels are for sleeping and showering when we are at WDW. I don't need luxury, but room for 4 + a toddler in pack-n-play would be nice.)

Are the TS restaurants at CBR and POR good? What other TS do they compare to?

What are the transportation situations at CBR and POR? (I *love* the dedicated buses you get at POP.)

POP is not huge. Are we going to hate the walk from our room to the buses at CBR or POR?

Do the lines for buses get ridiculous at POR or CBR with that many people staying there? We've never had any complaints with bus wait at POP. We might not make it on the first bus to arrive, but we are usually first on the next one. Which seems reasonable for the time of year we go.

What other variables should I consider when choosing between the 3? (Right now, POP's standard room is $150~ less than CBR's Standard Room for 5 nights and $200~ less for 5 nights.)

Thanks!
I think POR is definitely worth $200 more

POR offers Queen size beds which is a must for us.

POR offers a boat to DTD

I think you could get many different opinions on transportation, but we thought it was decent at POR. There are 4 stops, so there is no really long walks to the bus stops.

Of course I'm not a fan of any of the Values, but the pool experience at POR is much better IMO (You could say that about CBR also, though their man pool area always seems extra crowded to me).

They have a fishing hole for kids, nightly movies, and a bonfire.

Last edited by cjsm&d; 10-16-2013 at 01:14 PM.
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
KeriWDE
Mouseketeer

Pools are not a factor. ;)

I actually avoid the pool view rooms. We don't even take our swimsuits when we go. So, the pool is not a factor in our decision. I apologize for not including that in my original post.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
mickeygirl78
Mouseketeer

I would definetly do a moderate hotel for only $200 more. As the PP mentioned, at POR you get a queen bed. At both POR and CBR you get a slide at the main pool, hot tubs, double vanities, nicer bath towels.

I just stayed at CBR last month. We paid a lot more than $200 over the cost of Pop and well I didn't think it was worth as much as I paid, I do think $200 is worth it. It has multiple bus stops so the walk from your room to the bus stop will be short - but stopping at 7 bus stops is a major pain. I found the busses to be much better at CBR then my previous Pop stays.

I haven't stayed at POR in years, but I use to love it. Having the boat to go to DTD is really nice.
mickeygirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
KeriWDE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeygirl78 View Post
I would definetly do a moderate hotel for only $200 more. As the PP mentioned, at POR you get a queen bed. At both POR and CBR you get a slide at the main pool, hot tubs, double vanities, nicer bath towels.

I just stayed at CBR last month. We paid a lot more than $200 over the cost of Pop and well I didn't think it was worth as much as I paid, I do think $200 is worth it. It has multiple bus stops so the walk from your room to the bus stop will be short - but stopping at 7 bus stops is a major pain. I found the busses to be much better at CBR then my previous Pop stays.

I haven't stayed at POR in years, but I use to love it. Having the boat to go to DTD is really nice.
At POR, would you take the boat to DTD and then bus to theme parks?

CBR had multiple bus stops?

Does POR have multiple bus stops also?
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Babsy
DIS Veteran

How old is your toddler? As long as s/he is under 3 either will work. If 3, then POR sleeps 5 and would be a better choice.

Sounds to me like POP is the ideal choice for you except for possibly room size. If you only shower and sleep in the room, then Pop or any value is a good choice as long as 260 sq ft is enough space. Kids like the value resorts very much. Also, POP is a walk across the bridge to AoA which is fun.

The big difference between valies and mods is room size. In the Mods rooms are 314 sq ft in POR and 340 sq ft in CBR. The beds are queens in POR. Beds are doubles in POP and CBR.

I haven't eaten at the TS in CBR, didn't like the food in TS in POR. I wouldn't eat there again. I did like the food courts, though, but I also like the food court at POP.

Buses are just as good at POP or better than at POR or CBR.

Foliage is very nice at POR and the beach theme is very nice at CBR. If you aren't interested in pools than there is no advantage there.

In the end, it boils down to room size, IMO. Will you be comfortable in the smaller rooms in POP?

It will be close quarters with 4 plus pack n play, but it's up to you whether or not that matters.

HAve a great trip!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriWDE View Post
At POR, would you take the boat to DTD and then bus to theme parks?

CBR had multiple bus stops?

Does POR have multiple bus stops also?
Yes, POR has multiple bus stops. No, I wouldn't take the boat to DTD and then a bus to theme parks unless I wanted to go to DTD first for some reason. It is best to just get the bus straight from your room to the parks.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
PixiePoppins
Wishing Upon a Star

My 2 cents...it comes down to what is the most important to you...people definitely have their favorite resorts for many different reasons. I am a big POR fan. I love the atmosphere and beauty of the resort. I love sunrise strolls around the river, boating to DTD, and renting boats. I would never miss Yehaa Bob's terrific and free shows in the POR lounge. My family does like the food court. We have never had an issue with long waits for buses, though it can happen at any resort. They on occasion share buses with POFQ. It is a big resort, but I have always enjoyed the walks around it. It's a little slice of paradise IMHO.

I have stayed at CBR and liked it, but would choose POR over it for the above reasons. With my family of 5, we will probably never stay at POP and it is not one that I want to do.

If you haven't visited www.portorleans.org, please do. It will give you a great feel for the resort.

Good luck with your choice!

PixiePoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
kydisneyfans
It may be because they are too embarassed to show it in public

Have stayed at all 3.

POR is the cream of the crop. We prefer POFQ better due to compact size and short walks but often that resort is unavailable. Wasn't the happiest with the bus waits last week at PO, but the room size makes up for it.

The rooms are a bit larger, queen beds, and double sinks. That is important with 4+1 as you have more breathing room and 2 can get ready at once. It just has a very relaxed feel.

My second choice is to save the money and stay at Pop. Busses are fine, the food court is good.

The distant 3rd choice is CBR. We stayed in April and it was in need of a refresh. The resort was just too spread out and the food court was lacking.
kydisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

POP is our fav!!!!

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

We loved our stays at POP - but I cannot imagine fitting 4 plus a toddler in a play-n-pack in that room. - Amenities aside, I would spend the extra $200 just for the extra breathing room.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Love POR or POP

POR plus: Queen Beds! More room for pack & play, more bathroom space, table service restaurant (we have always enjoyed our meals), one of the best food courts with tables always open, boat to DTD (and there are NO buses from DTD to parks). I think it's worth the extra $200, that sounds like a great deal.

If you don't mind the double beds and tighter space with pack & play at POP and rather stay where you know then go for it. I love POP and stay there often.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
katt789
DIS Veteran

I am always hesitant about moderates because of the bus situation

I personally would vote for Riverside. Their gift shop & food court area I believe is open later than CBR's. we loved CBR, however the bussses were. Bit of a headache, either you walked to get breakfast & got the bus with a huge cluster of people & you might not all fit, or you got breakfast & walked all the way back to the room.

Have you looked into Port Orleans French Quarter? We loved it there last month, amazing food court, lots of different choices & your standard food, the resort only has the one bus stop, its a super small resort, and its walking distance or a boat ride to Riverside so you can use all the ammenities of it too!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
ShhhQ
DIS Veteran

I love POR... I fell in love with the rustic feel of the place. Unfortunately, if I can go next year, it will have to be at a value... which will mean POP. The rooms at POR are more spacious than POP, so if you can afford the upgrade, go for it! BUT POP is good too...

Sad to say that a trip to Disney and the scariest ride you went on was a bus ride!!!
Enjoy your vacation, you may never know when your last vacation will end up being your LAST VACATION!!
ShhhQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
OnceUponATime15
Disney frequent flyer..

I have stayed at all 3 Resorts you mentioned (in the past 3 years) for the most part I loved each one of them. I will be staying at POP Century in 46 days - it will be my first stay at a value resort. (chosen because this is a short stay visit & I'm curious about the differences)

If you decide on CBR or POR - you may want to price for a preferred room.. the distance from the main buildings & standard rooms in both are quite the trek (or bus ride). Main building being food courts, gift shops, conceriege etc. I prefer the food courts at CBR & POR to POFQ..
Both the above resorts do indeed have multiple bus stops, important to know because at the end of a theme park day you just want to get back to your room.. The circle trip around the resort for drop offs seems extra long when tired! lol.

POFQ is very compact & has only one bus stop.

I love the quiet pools at moderate resorts, perfect for relaxing - often we are the only ones using them! They can be a real break in a hectic schedule. POFQ is the only moderate without a quiet pool..

I love the boat to DTD!! It's a quick, usually less crowded way to go. Both POR & POFQ have access to the boats.

Looking forward to trying out POP.. I've heard many good things about it. I know though that I will miss my moderate resorts... especially those quiet pools.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: