Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #91
spiritsim
DIS Veteran

tequila

I like tequila but never really got into all the different types......good to know the differences,TY

WDW Commando Member #241
First time in the world! But not our last! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3359150
Old 11-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #92
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Hmmm, good title Phil!!

Hey, That's a completely honest mistake with San Angel Inn and La Hacienda de San Angel.

Yup, that's Epcot for you. They will teach you something no matter what! Nothing wrong with that though, as long as it's entertaining... and involves booze.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a nice event.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #93
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleesi View Post
Love the family picture with Belle!!

I'm surprised more kids aren't afraid of the characters, because every single one of my nieces and nephews were at one point in time... and not just Disney characters. Santa, the Easter Bunny, the mascots for our local baseball team.
Thank you - one of my favorite things about Photo Pass is full family pictures (i.e., I am actually in some)

Olivia at this point is great with all Disney Characters (well, except Beast) but freaks out royally at non-Disney ones .... last trip to Chuck E Cheese was not pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastoney View Post
Subbing in a little late. Can never pass up tequila lunch ; )
Welcome, thanks for joining! It was great - was really looking forward to it and loved it all. Still not sure how often I will have tequila but really enjoyed the lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Sounds and looks like a great meet-and-greet with Mickey, Minnie and Goofy!

And, wow - the tequila lunch sounds amazing! I am so jealous!
It was a great set of meet-and-greets! Love that they offer the character spot where you can get a couple of key characters done with only one line wait

If you ever get the chance definitely give the tequila lunch a go ... or, you know, buy a bottle of Jose Cuervo and a burrito and do your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsim View Post
I like tequila but never really got into all the different types......good to know the differences,TY
We had stopped in a tequila shot in Mexico once so had some exposure (but were way over our head) but it was definitely fun to find out more. They do have some information at La Cava del Tequila and also have flights of tequila too if you want to try some different types

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Hmmm, good title Phil!!

Hey, That's a completely honest mistake with San Angel Inn and La Hacienda de San Angel.

Yup, that's Epcot for you. They will teach you something no matter what! Nothing wrong with that though, as long as it's entertaining... and involves booze.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a nice event.
Thanks Rob - and for making me feel better about my mix up

That should become EPCOTS new motto - You will learn something whether you want to or not ... but you'll get booze!

It was a great event, definitely glad we did it

**Just Completed** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Old 11-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #94
herb102211
DIS Veteran

The tequila lunch looks awesome! Glad you enjoyed it

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club , 12/14- AoA 3/15-BC, 5/15-YC
Me (28) DH (29)
Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #95
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Em bought a bottle of agave nectar recently, should I be alarmed? I suppose as long as it's just agave we're good.

So you paid attention to the seminar, that's always good.

I wasn't going to say anything about you with a handbag in the character photos but since you mentioned it....nice!

Your F&W tee is very appropriate for the occasion.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #96
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb102211 View Post
The tequila lunch looks awesome! Glad you enjoyed it
Thanks! It was a lot of fun ... edutainment at its finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Em bought a bottle of agave nectar recently, should I be alarmed? I suppose as long as it's just agave we're good.

So you paid attention to the seminar, that's always good.

I wasn't going to say anything about you with a handbag in the character photos but since you mentioned it....nice!

Your F&W tee is very appropriate for the occasion.
I think you should be fine ... it can also be used as a substitute for honey for extreme vegans - but based on your dining reports I would be surprised if Emmy was becoming an extreme vegan

Yeah, Judi had to wrangle Peter a lot at the Character greets while I manned the autograph book and other bags and whatnot .... the things we do for our kids

Thanks for noticing the shirt ... and the good thing is that there was a washer/dryer in our condo so I was able to wear it the next F&WF day as well

**Just Completed** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #97
Nakkira
DIS Veteran

Dinner at the Kona is fantastic!

Oct 2013 - 5 days (offsite hotel)
Feb 2009 -3 days (offsite hotel)
Oct 2004 - Week (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Feb 1998 - Week (offsite hotel)
Fall 1993 - Week (offsite hotel)
Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #98
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Part 4: EPCOT ... Taste, Shake, and Indulge!

Day 2 - Part 4: EPCOT ... Taste, Shake, and Indulge!

After finishing our adventures with Tequila we needed to complete an even more challenging task - finding everyone else.

Via various forms of communication (mobile phone calls, text messages, smoke signals, etc.) we found out that everyone else was ... in the Mexico Pavilion. Of course.

The McNamees decided to eat out at the quick service La Cantina de San Angel but Judi and the kids wanted to get out of the heat so checked at the San Angel Inn and found that it would only be a 15 minute wait for a table (at that point the line at La Cantina was at least that long and it was over 1 hour to get into La Cava del Tequila).

That decision turned out great as they split two entrées:

Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo: Corn tortillas filled with pulled chicken, covered with green tomatillo sauce, topped with sour cream, queso fresco and onion, served with black beans

Kids Steak Tacos: marinated steak on flour totillas, served with Mexican rice and vegetables

note: Judi swears she took pictures but we can't find them, oh well.

They also had a great view (much better than this picture would imply - but we did 27 takes and this was the best one) and Olivia especially loved waving to everyone at the start of their boat tour.

Also, I was able to get to them before they got the bill and thus they were able to apply the TIW card. This provided an additional savings of $6.15 bring the total to: $28.97 from AP + $114.51 from TIW = $143.48

After this I walked Judi and her mom over to Monsieur Paul for their booked sesison of Taste, Shake, and Indulge Like the French ... a.k.a. Grand Marnier Tasting. As I had done all the bookings I wasn't sure if they would be allowed in without me so I walked over just to be safe - it probably would have been fine but did make things easier that I was there.

While I did this Bob took the kids on The Gran Fiesta Tour Staring the Three Caballeros (a.k.a. Mexican It's a Small World)

From this point on, the commentary in this post is provided by Judi who actually attended the event. Her views do not necessarily reflect those of the rest of the staff of this report (i.e., Me).

Unless you like the rest of the post, in that case I did it all.

Taste, Shake, and Indulge Like the French

So right off the bat I will admit that I didn't take notes. Taking notes would have been helpful... so sorry if I don't have a ton of detail in my post.

Phil walked my mom and I over to make sure that we had no issues checking in as it was in his name and then he went back to find my dad and the kids.

Mom and I waited for a few minutes and then were seated at our table. Unlike the tequila lunch that Phil attended we weren't seated with other groups which had pluses and minuses - I enjoy meeting other people but I did have a nice time relaxing with my mom.

When we sat down we already had our tastings, cocktail ingredients, and accompaniments set out:

Here is a close up of the tastings:

And here is one of the cocktail ingredients and accompaniments. The orange Madeleine is the baked good you see and that and the chocolate square were the accompaniments. The mint and the lemon slices were for the cocktail and I will come back to that desiccated green thing on the side.

I also wanted to show off the uber cute way that they folded our napkins:

While the rep from Grand Marnier talked to us about the history of the drink we got to have a mimosa. I didn't get a picture of the rep, she moved around the room to include everyone and I just never had a good opportunity to get a pic. Originally mimosas were made with Grand Marnier as an ingredient and it does add a bit something special to the drink, amplifying the orange flavor and smoothing out the sharpness of the OJ. Besides, who doesn't like extra booze in their booze?

The big things I remember from the history is that fine cognac is special and pretty rare so adding orange liquor to it was a great idea. Back when it was created (it had a different name that I can't recall) oranges were a rarity as well so putting together two rare and special ingredients made for something truly decadent. Obviously oranges aren't as hard to find now but this is still really good stuff.

Back to that green thing on the plate. Another thing I learned is that all the orange flavor is in the orange flesh by the time that the peel turns orange. As the orange liquor is made from the peels the fruit is harvested while still green and the peels have the most flavor. We broke our dried peels to get a strong burst of orange scent. The rep also told a comical story of one drunken gentleman who actually ate the dried peel - not just a nibble but the entire thing.

The rep talked us through the tastings while continuing to give us more info. The first we tasted was the cordon rouge. This is your basic Grand Marnier. It has a strong orange scent and a warm bite from the cognac. Next was the 100th anniversary (my favorite) which is smoother and really brings out the orange flavor. I could have just relaxed with a glass of that for the rest of the day and let the rest of the world pass me by. The 150th is richer and the orange flavor less pronounced. I liked the smoothness but missed the fruitiness that the others had. The last one we tasted was the raspberry peach. In keeping with the brand it isn't just made with any raspberry and peach, they are both uncommon varieties of the fruit and made for a lighter and sweeter version. My mom liked this one the best and I enjoyed it also. The Madeleine and the dark chocolate went very nicely with all of the liquors.

Next it was time to make our cocktail. We each had some tools on the table: a Boston shaker, a muddler, a strainer, and a straw.

We squeezed our lemon slices into the shaker, added some of the mint and muddled it gently (too much muddling makes for a bitter drink). Then we added the wee bottle of Grand Marnier. The waiters had brought the other half of the Boston shaker with ice in it and we shook it up. Finally we strained it into the cocktail glass and garnished with more mint leaves.

The Grand Smash is a good cocktail and I will definitely be having it again sometime, even if it means making it myself every time (not sure how many bartenders know this one).

Then came the Crepes Suzette demonstration. I do love a good flaming dessert.

After the demo they brought out our crepes and a Grand Marnier tart with that. The tart is an orangey version of a lemon meringue. I really wished that I had the recipe for this. Of course, I like meringue a lot so was predisposed to like this dessert. The crepe was good too but suffered a bit from the time between cooking and plating.

On the way out we received our goody bags. Inside are a mini shaker, a cool round (i.e., orange shaped) cup, a straw, and a Grand Marnier flavored chapstick.

I was glad that I had eaten lunch before attending, both so that I didn't end up too tipsy and so that I felt ready for dessert. Basically this tasting is like a super long dessert course and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was extra nice to have some mother-daughter time and escape the crowds into the peace and quiet of air conditioning. Since then I have had Grand Marnier while out so this did open my eyes to Grand Marnier as more than an ingredient in better cosmos.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #99
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Wow! I didn't know there was a Grand Marnier tasting/presentation. It looks like a lot of fun and very interesting. I had no idea that a mimosa originally included Grand Marnier. I am totally going to try that!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #100
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Thanks Judi for the great Grand Marnier review! Any class that starts with a mimosa is great in my book! I learned something about the ripening of oranges and the green peel as well. Crepes Suzette and a bag of swag what's not to love with that?

Great job Phil getting the TiW card to Judi since every $6.15 adds up. It's ironic that two of the restaurants that made an appearance in your update were two of our firsts this trip.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #101
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Phil's Piece:
Hahaha, isn't that always the way? I especially love it when you call someone to find their location and you can actually hear their phone ringing.

The photos in there are brutally tough. I think your photo is fine. Nothing's as cool as seeing it in person anyway.

Judi's Piece:

That's really fascinating about the orange peels and where the flavour comes from. I had no idea. Thank you for the great review of the Grand Marnier Tasting. It's so amazing all the little "events" Disney has to offer.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #102
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakkira View Post
Dinner at the Kona is fantastic!
Yeah, we really enjoyed it. It was our first time and we will definitely go back. I like that you have a wide variety of options, especially with being able to order form the Sushi bar (and being able to get the bread pudding from 'Ohana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Wow! I didn't know there was a Grand Marnier tasting/presentation. It looks like a lot of fun and very interesting. I had no idea that a mimosa originally included Grand Marnier. I am totally going to try that!
Judi and her mom definitely enjoyed it - especially being able to try the different types of Grand Marnier - we had only had the regular kind. We have done a lot of wine and beer tastings, but the Tequila and Grand Marnier ones were new for us - lots of fun, and we learned something

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Thanks Judi for the great Grand Marnier review! Any class that starts with a mimosa is great in my book! I learned something about the ripening of oranges and the green peel as well. Crepes Suzette and a bag of swag what's not to love with that?

Great job Phil getting the TiW card to Judi since every $6.15 adds up. It's ironic that two of the restaurants that made an appearance in your update were two of our firsts this trip.
I will thank Judi - thanks for your comment. Yeah, any event that starts with a mimosa, has a flaming dessert, and provides a goodie bag - I mean, that's a pretty good start to having a good time

I am determined to get my value out of that AP and TIW (heck, probably will pull me to book another trip down to WDW within the next 12 months) so I was determined to get in there once I heard that is where she was

Just like a Brooklyn Hipster, happy to be ironic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Phil's Piece:
Hahaha, isn't that always the way? I especially love it when you call someone to find their location and you can actually hear their phone ringing.

The photos in there are brutally tough. I think your photo is fine. Nothing's as cool as seeing it in person anyway.

Judi's Piece:

That's really fascinating about the orange peels and where the flavour comes from. I had no idea. Thank you for the great review of the Grand Marnier Tasting. It's so amazing all the little "events" Disney has to offer.
yeah, we've definitely had times where we are on the phone with each other trying to find each other when one of us finally says "look up" and is like 10 feet away waving at the other.

Yeah, definitely tough to get good photos in there - plus we were in the middle of paying the bill and stuff so I tried to go fast. Oh well, I think everyone can imagine where we were.

Love these types of events and why we love going during Food & Wine Festival time. If we do go another time definitely will try to do other "events" be it the Chef's table at Flying Fish or a Wishes cruise or something like that

Old 11-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #103
hayesktrm
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to hear more!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #104
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Part 5: EPCOT ... McNamee Adventures - Kidcot and Off Kilter

After I took Judi and her mom over to the Grand Marnier event, it was decided that the rest of us would split up. The McNamees were pretty sure this would be their only day in EPCOT and Tara wanted to do the Perry adventures so they wanted to get in what they could.

So the rest of this update covers their afternoon in EPCOT.

So the McNamee clan (Bridget Mike Tara Owen) broke off from the Schoens for lunch and stopped at La Cantina de San Angel
Mexico in Mexico in EPCOT.

We enjoyed and shared a platter of nachos (taco beef, cheese sour cream, tomatoes and guacamole) and cheese empanadas with guacamole sauce. I got a Frozen Mango Margarita, which after several hours in the Florida sun was quite delicious and refreshing and Bridget got a Jarrito Pinaapple soda.

Nachos: corn tortilla chips with ground beef, nacho cheese, fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, black beans, and sour cream

Empanadas de Queso: fresh corn masa (dough) filled with Chihuahua cheese topped with green sauce served with corn tortilla chips

author's note: pretty sure Mike borrowed the above images from the interwebs

We had a lovely break by the water. While I waited on line to order and get the food, Bridget took the kids and snagged a table, probably the best spot there was. The humidity had dropped at that point and the breeze was refreshing. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch.

We then traversed Mexico and China on Agent P's World Showcase Adventure. Tara had a lot of fun with that - getting to activate the secret items and bringing them to life.

We then doubled back to Norway to ride the Maelstrom which we all enjoyed. The wait wasn’t bad, 15 minutes, which was pretty accurate.

author's note: Back, back - over the falls!

We stopped and saw the fife and drums in America while we enjoyed an ice cream break, Itzakadoozies (huge layered fruit ice pops) all around!

We had made the decision that we would only do EPCOT for one day, so we decided to make our way “around the world” to Canada.

The kids did a Kid Cot craft and the parents took a break.

We stopped in England and got a photo op and autograph from Alice as well along the way.

author's note: mention of a photo op, but not photo provided. Just sayin' .... carry on.

We made it to Canada and took a seat to watch Off Kilter, a great Celtic Rock band. I’ll let the pictures speak for the kids.

After that we started to make our way out of the park, but first made a stop at Coca-Cola's Ice Station Cool for some free soda (ice cold and free, excellent for the end of the day went you’re parched and tired). Mandatory Family Photo Pass picture was then taken and then we decided to go for a ride Spaceship Earth before leaving the park.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #105
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Enjoying your trip report so far! Saw that you flew out from our favorite airport - DCA! I love the airport because from gate to home it only takes 45 minutes.

Our DD loves Akershus although we will be skipping it for our trip in January. We're going for CRT instead.

Can't wait to read more!

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Tags
dads, dining, f&wf, kids, october 2013

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: