Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #31
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi Phil! Sounds like you didn't get much sleep between a full day of driving and then turning around and having to go to the airport so early. I loved the touch of Disney with the Disney-tunes on Pandora. That definitely helps set the mood for the vacation!

I wish I had planned a family trip that involved my parents and all of our kids many years ago. Now it is too late to do that .... regrets and all aside, I think it is great that you are building such great memories with your family. Even though your son may not remember much it is still a Disney heritage that you are building that is completely awesome!

That's awesome that you were able to keep work in check while you were on vacation. I can see how your wife would appreciate that.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #32
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm joining! I can't wait to hear about your trip now that you're all back.

The kids are absolutely adorable.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #33
courtneybelle
I don't have a skull. Or bones.

The "1 Day Until" ticker is a beautiful sight. That's awesome that Olivia's teachers were so excited! And a good idea to play Disney music on the ride there. That's the way to do it
Old 10-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #34
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
GOOD FOR YOU not working (much) on vacation. I used to be one of those too, but I learned. There's No Sleeping in Disney... and THERE'S NO WORKING IN DISNEY!!!

Strange, but on Disboards I have a hard time picturing food without pictures.

That's quite the journey there Phil. But I'm glad it all went pretty well and now, YAY, onto Disney!!!
Thanks Rob, I've started to learn (taken a while to get through my skull) that the world won't end if I stay off my blackberry for a day or two ... I mean, it's not like I am a brain scientist or a rocket surgeon.

They were a couple of long days to get to Orlando (and about to start the long trip back tomorrow) but definitely worth it and it was so great having Judi's parents with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Hi Phil! Sounds like you didn't get much sleep between a full day of driving and then turning around and having to go to the airport so early. I loved the touch of Disney with the Disney-tunes on Pandora. That definitely helps set the mood for the vacation!

I wish I had planned a family trip that involved my parents and all of our kids many years ago. Now it is too late to do that .... regrets and all aside, I think it is great that you are building such great memories with your family. Even though your son may not remember much it is still a Disney heritage that you are building that is completely awesome!

That's awesome that you were able to keep work in check while you were on vacation. I can see how your wife would appreciate that.
Yeah Brenda, didn't get too much sleep, but hey, that Disney adrenaline can keep you going for longer than you initially think!

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to get that extended family trip in - having a larger party can make the planning a bit harder but we think it is worth it ... and this was probably the first time my son had such extended period of time with his grandfather and he totally latched on to him! Actually, for much of the trip all he wanted to do was be carried by his grandfather (or Nada as he started to call him - combination of Nana and Dada).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm joining! I can't wait to hear about your trip now that you're all back.

The kids are absolutely adorable.
Welcome! Thanks - I've been enjoying your family's adventures in your TR as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybelle View Post
The "1 Day Until" ticker is a beautiful sight. That's awesome that Olivia's teachers were so excited! And a good idea to play Disney music on the ride there. That's the way to do it
Yeah, it was definitely nice to see (actually, once it got under a week and was just single digit days left I was getting excited). Playing the Disney music was great, though I felt like I was the only one really into it. Oh well - I was driving so got to pick the tunes

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
norybell
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! Glad to hear all your travel to FL was relatively uneventful (which, really, is the most one can ask when traveling nowadays, isn't it?).
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #36
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Part 1: Orlando errands and Downtown Disney (1 of 2)

Day 1 - Part 1: Orlando errands and Downtown Disney (1 of 2)

Friday October 11th

When I last left off we had just arrived at MCO in Orlando

First up was the first (un)official ride of the trip - the Fakeorail!

Peter didn't seem too impressed and Olivia apparently thought it was a thrill ride and was holding on for dear life:

We then went down to baggage, got the bags and picked up the rental car and we were off ... all the way to the Florida South AAA office. Which was a very important and momentous stop for me personally as it was there I purchased my very first Disney World Annual Pass! (that's your cue to "oooh" and "aaaah").

Upon coming out of the store we noticed there was a chip in the windshield of the rental car. I was afraid we would be charged for damages upon return so I got on the phone and after being transferred several times it was recorded that we received the car with the chip in the windshield.

We then were off to our next stop - to pick up the rental stroller! We rented through Apple Stroller which had a promotion of the rental being free (yes, free) we just had to pay for the insurance - so after tax, etc. it cost us a grand total of $62 for a double stroller including accessory tray.

Plus, at this point we were very close to Disney as this was on the opposite side of the parking lot:

Yup - we were right across the street from some people taking pictures of themselves in front of some sort of sign that I guess was important or something...

After that we were off and our next stop actually took us on to Disney property and we stopped at Downtown Disney - and our first stop there was guest services to activate the recently purchased annual pass and purchase a Tables in Wonderland card (feel free to continue to "oooh" and "aaah"):

You may ask why we were getting an annual pass when we would only be spending 4 days in the parks, but with a group of up to 10 for meals (and being a group with adults that enjoyed an occasional adult beverage) I had done some estimations and determined that the extra cost would more than be made up from the 20% off food bills plus other AP savings (parking at parks, etc.).

So, the final tally is that I would need to save $414.27 to break even with this decision - I'll keep updates in here to see how we are doing.

After this key purchase we checked out the Lego displays:

We were in need of some food - but where to go for our first meal at Disney?

Ok, ok, so it doesn't scream "Walt Disney World" - but we wanted something fast, something that everyone would eat, and it was one of the counter service places at Downtown Disney that provided an discount for having an Annual Pass (I did just get the dang thing, might as well use it!).

We got the Family meal split between chicken strips and the citrus grilled chicken and for our sides got the fried plantains and the french fries. Olivia got Juice, Bob got an Ice Tea, Kathy got a Vitamin Water, I got a Iced Mocha, and Judi got Sangria:

Overall it was really good! Everything was fresh and tasty and just hit the spot for what we wanted - food!

Using my AP, we saved $9.89 brining the total to, well, $9.89.

(continued next post)

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Old 10-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #37
PolkaDotLuggage
Earning My Ears

Subbing and reading while I eat non-Disney food

Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #38
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

I think Olivia knows that if you're standing to "Please hold on to the safety rail" whether you're in Disney yet or not. She's just being a good Disney soldier!! Super Smart kid!

AHHHHHHHH ANNUAL PASS!!!

OK, so you only had to pay for the insurance to get the stroller for free?? Haha, I hope you beat the heck out of that stroller (with no kiddies inside of course).

Hahaha, Pollo Campero totally reminds me of "Los Pollos Hermanos" from Breaking Bad. Now I must eat there. And you say they give the discount. Is that with or without the Tables in Wonderland?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #39
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life
I think Olivia knows that if you're standing to "Please hold on to the safety rail" whether you're in Disney yet or not. She's just being a good Disney soldier!! Super Smart kid!

AHHHHHHHH ANNUAL PASS!!!

OK, so you only had to pay for the insurance to get the stroller for free?? Haha, I hope you beat the heck out of that stroller (with no kiddies inside of course).

Hahaha, Pollo Campero totally reminds me of "Los Pollos Hermanos" from Breaking Bad. Now I must eat there. And you say they give the discount. Is that with or without the Tables in Wonderland?
Haha, we didn't beat up the stroller too bad

The discount at Pollo Compero is just for Annual Pass - 20% off

Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #40
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotLuggage
Subbing and reading while I eat non-Disney food
Thanks for joining! Hey, there is some good non-Disney food out there

Old 10-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #41
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
The discount at Pollo Compero is just for Annual Pass - 20% off
Sa-Weet!!!! Thanks Phil!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #42
Tink0812
Mouseketeer

Joining in! Saw your post on my TR...since our trips overlapped, I'm excited to see how everything went for your family!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #43
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink0812
Joining in! Saw your post on my TR...since our trips overlapped, I'm excited to see how everything went for your family!
Welcome! Should be fun to follow along with each other's reports. Wonder if we were ever at the same place at the same time?

Last edited by TheMaxRebo; 10-22-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #44
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Cute pics!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #45
herb102211
DIS Veteran

Glad you had an awesome trip and arrived safely.

Congrats on getting your first Annual Pass. They get quite addicting

Looking forward to more updates!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club , 12/14- BWI
Me (28) DH (29)

Tags
dads, dining, f&wf, kids, october 2013

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: