Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #136
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #137
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Son of a bee sting indeed. Yikes. I probably would have lost it and used much more colorful language (at a volume barely audible to the kids in the backseat ).

Isn't AoA just wonderfully themed? We stayed there last January and the kids were completely in love with the resort. I think the kids would be perfectly happy if we tried each different suite/room at AoA for the next four trips. It took quite a bit of effort to convince our DD that AKL would be equally cool.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014 PTR with MiniTRs to Disney Cali Adventure, Oahu, San Diego, and Vegas
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #138
courtneybelle
I don't have a skull. Or bones.

at "Newish Fantasyland." Very fitting considering it's been about a year.

Great DAWM pics!

Ugh, that's so frustrating about the urgent care situation!

I'm hoping to try Landscape of Flavors when we stay at Pop next summer. It looks amazing.

I laughed out loud at Olivia being eaten by Mater!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #139
missangelalexis
DIS Veteran

Ugh how annoying about the urgent care locations! But I'm glad they were able to go and everything worked out for them!

Art of Animation really is super fun and bright! The surf and surf burger sounded interesting, I almost got it myself but decided on something else. I'm glad to hear it was good! And I love all your pictures!

WDW Visits: 1993, 1997
Disneyland/California Adventure Visit: 6/26/12
Pop Century with DBF: 1/4/13-1/12/13 - MNSSHP/F&W trip with Mom & Dad: 10/5/13-10/12/13

Old 11-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #140
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michly View Post
I'm still giggling over the photo of Olivia checking Mater's teeth (a reasonable reason for sticking one's head in another's mouth) many minutes later!
Happy to make you giggle They both had a ton of fun with the various Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!
Why thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
Son of a bee sting indeed. Yikes. I probably would have lost it and used much more colorful language (at a volume barely audible to the kids in the backseat ).

Isn't AoA just wonderfully themed? We stayed there last January and the kids were completely in love with the resort. I think the kids would be perfectly happy if we tried each different suite/room at AoA for the next four trips. It took quite a bit of effort to convince our DD that AKL would be equally cool.
Yeah, it wasn't the end of the world just annoying that with their insurance you can only use the places in network ... well then it would be good if their information for where these "in network" places was, you know, accurate

I definitely think that were we to stay on site in the future, unless we can swing a Deluxe or something we would look to stay at AoA especially given they have the family suites there

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybelle View Post
at "Newish Fantasyland." Very fitting considering it's been about a year.

Great DAWM pics!

Ugh, that's so frustrating about the urgent care situation!

I'm hoping to try Landscape of Flavors when we stay at Pop next summer. It looks amazing.

I laughed out loud at Olivia being eaten by Mater!
Well, it was still "New" to me, but considering that it is opening in sections at this is at least the 2nd section ow open figured that "New Land Smell" is starting to wear off.

Thanks - As I am putting together this TR I realized I wasn't so great at taking pictures as we were walking to places, but I did take a tone whenever we were standing still - like for shows or fireworks, etc. I am happy with the pictures and brings back happy memories looking at them.

We were very happy with Landscape of Flavors - lots of options and some different options which is good. Only thing is it was a little smaller than I was expecting. Not that it was tiny or anything, just from pictures it looked huge and when I got there just didn't feel quite as grand.

Well, you just know what Mater said after he was finished eating Olivia ... Got 'er Done!

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #141
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelalexis View Post
Ugh how annoying about the urgent care locations! But I'm glad they were able to go and everything worked out for them!

Art of Animation really is super fun and bright! The surf and surf burger sounded interesting, I almost got it myself but decided on something else. I'm glad to hear it was good! And I love all your pictures!
ah, you snuck in there while I was commenting

It was very annoying but we are very glad that everything got taken care of. It was actually something that was bothering Judi for a while but we just thought it was an acne type thing. I mean, who would of thought that having a trained medical person look at a condition could result in an improvement? The joys of modern medicine

I was flip-flopping a bit as I too wasn't sure about the Surf and Surf burger but I am very glad I tried it. The creole sauce on it definitely made it - so you would have to like those types of flavors.

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #142
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Gee Phil, it's a good thing your need for the "urgent" care facility wasn't actually incredibly urgent. My God what a journey.

Haha, see one a the big benefits of staying offsite that people don't get is that you get to drive under the arch multiple times a trip. Unless of course you're located where you are where it would make no sense to do that.

Ugh, not looking forward to the rapid fill system at all. What's the time limit between refills?

Yay for AoA. I agree, it's extremely well done. OK Disney, now stop building hotels and start building some new attractions!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #143
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Gee Phil, it's a good thing your need for the "urgent" care facility wasn't actually incredibly urgent. My God what a journey.

Haha, see one a the big benefits of staying offsite that people don't get is that you get to drive under the arch multiple times a trip. Unless of course you're located where you are where it would make no sense to do that.

Ugh, not looking forward to the rapid fill system at all. What's the time limit between refills?

Yay for AoA. I agree, it's extremely well done. OK Disney, now stop building hotels and start building some new attractions!!!
So, the time limit between refills is 2 mins, but then if you buy a paper cup you get 4 fills total and has to be within 1 hour, after 1 hour it no longer works even if you only filled it once

haha - they need the people behind building the resorts to get on Star Wars land ... and then quietly move James Cameron over to building a resort rather than Avatar Land

Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #144
khaleesi
Life is a Special Occasion

Oy. Look at all those people! Crowds make me twitchy. Glad you were able to escape to MK, but boo to not being able to do everything you wanted.

The picture of Olivia with her grandpa is very sweet!

Your "A, 2, iii" numbering system makes me laugh. I do that at work and people just roll their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
haha - they need the people behind building the resorts to get on Star Wars land ... and then quietly move James Cameron over to building a resort rather than Avatar Land
AGREED!!!!!!!!!

Trying hard to figure out a way to get to The World in December 2015. Stay tuned!

Love and pixie dust,
Sue
Old 11-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #145
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Phil I laughed so hard at your urgent care clinic quest. This is particularly funny to me since I work for a major insurance company who occasionally has patients tell us that doctor so and so died 5 years ago I can't see him! (That's definitely not the funny part.) But your son of a bee-sting - so eloquently put.

I think that church must have a good number of tourists visit weekly since I've seen it in many a trip report. Seriously, that's cool that you took the time to do that.

Your photo tour of AoA included many parts that I haven't seen - very well done Disney. It must have been a lot of fun creating all the fun designs and features around the resort. Olivia with her head in Maters gaping mouth is awesome!

And here's a to your comment about having James Cameron building a resort instead of Avatarland.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #146
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleesi View Post
Oy. Look at all those people! Crowds make me twitchy. Glad you were able to escape to MK, but boo to not being able to do everything you wanted.

The picture of Olivia with her grandpa is very sweet!

Your "A, 2, iii" numbering system makes me laugh. I do that at work and people just roll their eyes.

AGREED!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, we have gone in October our last few trips and it was so empty compared to this year... not sure if it is just the economy picking up or what, but it was crowded. And there were some tour groups but not a ton so it wasn't like it was just that. We did have another whole day at MK where we got a ton more done. Still not everything, but hey, that's another reason to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Phil I laughed so hard at your urgent care clinic quest. This is particularly funny to me since I work for a major insurance company who occasionally has patients tell us that doctor so and so died 5 years ago I can't see him! (That's definitely not the funny part.) But your son of a bee-sting - so eloquently put.
I think after the second time in a row of it being wrong we were just kinda like that SNL bit - "Really? Really?" It just annoys me because they put these limits in place and then don't have accurate information - it would be like a restaurant having a menu that does not line up with what they are actually cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I think that church must have a good number of tourists visit weekly since I've seen it in many a trip report. Seriously, that's cool that you took the time to do that.

Your photo tour of AoA included many parts that I haven't seen - very well done Disney. It must have been a lot of fun creating all the fun designs and features around the resort. Olivia with her head in Maters gaping mouth is awesome!

And here's a to your comment about having James Cameron building a resort instead of Avatarland.
We were all impressed by AoA -definitely over the top with the themeing but can see how it would be great for families with young kids - and love that they have the family suites.

I think that would work out for the best - I mean, a resort that is done up like Pandora could be kinda cool with the floor lighting up when you walk on it ... and just imagine the themeing of the pool area! Plus this way people who are into it can stay there but people that want nothing to do with it don't have to see it in a park

Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #147
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Day 3 - Part 3: Victoria & Albert's ... Fancy Pants Anniversary Dinner

Day 3 - Part 3: Victoria & Albert's ... Fancy Pants Anniversary Dinner

One of the great benefits of bringing along Judi's parents was that they offered to watch the kids so that we could have a night out alone - "Date night" if it were.

Knowing this, and given that this year was our 10th Anniversary, we decided to celebrate with a evening out for dinner at Victoria & Albert's. Not to ruin the ending, but let's just say it was a good call.

I should preface the below that we didn't take our camera (so only used our phones, and with the low lighting the pictures aren't the best) and I didn't take detailed notes as we just wanted to appreciate the experience, and, you know, each other's company and what not. But hopefully the below gives you some idea of the wonderful night we had.

Judi's dad was nice enough to drive us and pick us up, and after dropping us off at the Grand Floridian we took a little time to enjoy the lobby and even listen to the band that was playing:

We then made our way up to the second story, past the fancy shops and the check-in counter for Cetrico's and entered Victoria & Albert's. I think just at that point we knew we were in for a great night. We were seated at a 2-top off to the right at what I thought was a great location as we could take in the entire room and felt secluded but not isolated.

Our main waiter was Micheal but he had a partner as well and some additional help. I will probably mention this again at the end but it warrants multiple mentions - the wait staff could not have been any better. While their outfits might have been a little frilly, they were all completely down to earth and made great conversation and absolutely knew the menu inside and out.

I actually had surprised Judi by pre-arranging for a bottle of champagne to be at the table when we arrived. Unfortunately I didn't write down the name of it and the receipt doesn't indicate it either - but it was a very nice, easy to drink, NV French Champagne and Judi was very (and pleasantly) surprised - so mission accomplished.

We were first provided with a water menu. Personally I had not ever seen a water menu before but I thought it was neat (though we opted for their standard triple filtered "house" water). I guess this is becoming a thing and I recently learned that Rays & Stark Bar at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art now not only features a water menu but also a water sommelier who can help you decide what water to pair with what dish, and the also offer water flights.

As it was our anniversary we were provided with customized menus which I thought was a nice touch and made a nice keep sake:

We both decided to do the wine pairing with our dinner. Since that normally includes a glass of champagne with the amuse-bouche and we already had a fully bottle to split they instead would provide us with a dessert wine with our dessert ... works for us.

The amuse-bouch this evening was a sampling of tuna. Here is probably where having taken good notes would have helped

Amuse-bouche: Tuna sampling:of a spring role, soba noodles with tuna tartare, and seared tuna

They were all very good but I especially enjoyed the soba noodles bite.

Next, the first of our breads came out. There was a progression of breads throughout the meal each paired with a different butter - again, another nice touch.

Bread: fresh baguette with slow churned creamy butter with sea salt

First course:

Petit Poussin with Violet Mustard and Crispy Skin: paired with a Langtry Savignon Blanc Lillie Vineyard

Octopus "A La Plancha" with Black Garlic Aioli: paried with Granbazan Albarino

These were both very good. I had the Poussin and appreciated the extra texture the crispy skin gave it. Though I must admit I liked Judi's Octopus dish just a little bit better - the different sauces provided with it gave it so many layers of flavor.

Second course:

Yellowtail Snapper with Yellos Tomato Bouillon and Almonds - paired with Fiano di Avellino Dei Feudi Di San Gregorio

Main Diver Scallop with Cauliflower and Glace de Viande - paried with Mer Soleil Cardonnay

um, yeah, totally forgot to take pictures of this and figured I needn't bother you wish shots of fish or scallops that were 80% eaten (I do have them, so PM me if interested).

It's a shame too as the snapper dish I had was one of the highlights of the meal. Lot's of depth of flavor. The scallops were good too, but I think I won this round.

Before this course we were given another bread, I think the description will let you know how rich and yummy it was:

Bread: baked with black truffles and served with butter that had black truffles in it as well

Third course:

Veal Napolean with Chanterelle Mushrooms - paried with Grgich Hills Merlot

Palmetto Farms Quail with Serrano Ham and Figs (sand the Ham as Judi doesn't eat pork) - paried with Cakebread Zinfandel

As Judi doesn't eat pork or beef she wasn't sure what to get this course with the quail came with ham. They indicated that she could order in it's place any dish from the vegetarian menu (so know that is always an option) but they also indicated she could get the quail without the ham, which is what she went for.

This is probably a course where we both like our choice best. The mushrooms in the thick, rich sauce were really excellent on mine and the veal itself was super tender.

I should note that during the meal they have a harpist playing and she was very good. I enjoyed the fact that she mixed in traditional classic music with harp transpositions of more contemporary music.

It was around this point in the meal that we thought a song she was playing sounded familiar. After a bit of "no, it can't be" we determined that she was in fact playing "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds which happens to be the song that we danced to at our wedding reception as our first song. It is just about the sweetest, most romantic song we know - but in an unconventional and odd way ... kinda like us. We mentioned this fact to our wait staff who, must have mentioned it to the harpist as she wound up playing it again. Then on her break she came over to our table to introduce herself and to tell us how excited and happy she was to hear that was our wedding song as she too thinks it is the most romantic song ever. She also gave us a copy of her CD that features that song on it, and posed for a picture:

I wish I could have said that I planned that as another surprise, but it was just fate. It certainly made the night even more special and one we will never forget. Should you want to look up her music, her name is Elizabeth Gerberding - and if you are reading this Elizabeth - thank you so much!

Fourth course:

Australian Kobe-Styple Beef Tenderloin with Oxtail Ravioli - paired with Chateau Lassegue Bordeaux blend.

Niman Ranch Lamb with Squash Ragout, Gnocchi and Red Pepper Sauce - paired with Gigondus Domaine du Grapiollon d'Or

These were two excellent courses - and both very hearty without being super heavy. The Kobe beef really was excellent - it tastes so different than "regular" beef - just on another level. I must admit one of the main reasons I chose this was to try the oxtail ravoli and that did not disappoint at all. I could have had a meal of just that and been extremely happy. All of the wine pairing were excellent but these were two great wines - along with the two the previous course I should note.

Fifth course:

Cheese: Parmigiano Reggiano, Fiscalini Cheddar, Rogue River Blue, Gouda Reypenaer - paried with Quinta do Crasto Late Bottled Porto

Roased White Chocolate Gelato with Blasamic Glaze - paired with Bosio Moscato D'Asti
... which I apparently don't have a picture of

I think at this point we might have been starting to get full but I did enjoy that the gelato cleansed the pallate quite well. Also the port that came with Judi's cheese was excellent.

With dessert we ordered the "Celebes" Coffee - which is this amazingly cool contraption for brewing coffee that we found way too fascinating. It's designed to steep the coffee in the top part when the water in the bottom is heated and then when the heat is removed the coffee is sucked from the top part to the bottom. However it works it creates some dang fine coffee.

Sixth course:

Caramelized Banana Gateau - paired with a dessert wine that I cannot recall

Grand Marnier Souffle - paired with the same dessert wine I can't remember

These were among the desserts that were recommended to us. They were both very good and both looked very impressive. I do have to say that Judi's souffle was the hands down winner. That was one of the best desserts I have every tasted.

They then brought out some after dessert desserts (since clearly we hadn't eaten enough) that we actually asked if they could pack up for us.

They also gave us some fresh baked sweet bread to have for breakfast the next day and presented Judi with a rose.

The only hiccup to the evening was that I had also arranged with Disney Florist to have flowers brought out for Judi during dessert. I inquired to the wait staff, but they indicated they didn't have anything and called the front desk and they had not received anything either. The next day I called Disney Florist and they said they delivered it to the Grand Floridain, and are not sure what happened. One person they spoke to said their records indicated we switched our meal to be at Citricos, which a) isn't true and 2) doesn't explain what happened to the flowers. They refunded the cost so in the end it wasn't a huge deal - but still a bit annoying. Oh well, I think I got brownie points for trying at least

All-in-all the meal took about 3.5 hours but didn't drag at all. This was easily one of the best meals of our lives and are so glad that we decided to do this. If you are thinking of doing this, I definitely suggest giving it a shot - obviously not the cheapest meal, but given the setting, level of service, and variety and quality of the food, it really is worth it.

With the TIW we saved $106.00 bringing the grand total to $264.60

We spent a little more time walking around the lobby

Then Judi's dad picked us up and we went back to the condo to rest (and digest) for we had a long day back at the parks coming up the next day

Last edited by TheMaxRebo; 11-19-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #148
missangelalexis
DIS Veteran

So nice that you guys got to have a night to yourselves! The food looks exquisite. How amazing that the harpist played your wedding song! That's definitely some pixie dust After dessert desserts? Wowza they really like to go all out! Sorry about the mixup with the flowers, but it sounds like overall it was a perfect night!

WDW Visits: 1993, 1997
Disneyland/California Adventure Visit: 6/26/12
Pop Century with DBF: 1/4/13-1/12/13 - MNSSHP/F&W trip with Mom & Dad: 10/5/13-10/12/13

Old 11-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #149
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Okay, I have to comment that I loved your A) 2) iii) reasons for loving the picture. I snorted laughing, because it makes me think about people listing things out and not remembering what they start with.

I'm glad that you really didn't need that urgent care location! Because:

A) Not finding it would stink.
2) No one wants to need urgent care and not find it.
iii) Wouldn't want a trip to be really ruined.

The food looks good at Landscapes of Flavor. Haven't been there yet, but definitely want to swing by and check it out.

Ooohhh, fancy pants anniversary dinner!

Wow, a water menu. That is fancy stuff.

They serve the Grand Marnier soufflé at Chef Paul (formerly The Bistro), and it's amazing!

That stinks about the flowers! Such a shame that they were lost. I'm glad they refunded you with no problem, but it still doesn't make it any better.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #150
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'm even classy enough to READ a report on Victoria & Albert's. I feel so under-dressed just commenting. (Don't worry, I'm still dressed, just not at a Victoria & Albert's level. I felt the need to clarify.)

Customized menus, now that IS classy and what a lovely momemto.

So I have to ask, was the Amuse-bouche "amuse-ing"? (Yeah I had to get a Friends reference in here somewhere.)

Wow, to have "Your Song" playing during this experience must have just been amazing. So wonderful and pixie dust-ish.

Tags
dads, dining, f&wf, kids, october 2013

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: