Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
AoA Family Suite 5 18.52%
OKW 1BD Villa 22 81.48%
Other - which/why? 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
nervous1sttimer
DIS Veteran

Please vote! AoA vs OKW

After spending a lot of time thinking about this (way too much, to be honest) I have narrowed our choices for Tuesday to either an AoA family suite or an OKW 1BD villa. We are a group of 5 (myself, DH, my mom, DS7, DD5). As I see them, here are the Pros/Cons.

AoA Pros:
- 2 bathrooms
- 2 TVs
- Better theming for kids
- Better pools (we are travelling end of Feb '14 - might be too cold to even use the pools?)

AoA Cons:
- Only 565 sqft vs. 942 sqft at OKW
- Louder, busier

OKW Pros:
- Much more space
- Large outdoor space (patio or deck)
- Potential to walk to PHM start vs. taking busses (my mom and I are both running)
- Full kitchen vs. AoA mini-kitchen (we will likely have DDP and only need kitchen for breakfasts)

OKW Cons:
- Only bathroom is off of master bedroom, eliminating privacy component
- Potentially inconvenient location of villa due to resort's "spread-out" nature

For your information, we will be staying 9 nights. I am trying to avoid any Bearenstein Bears "Too Much Vacation" scenarios (never travelled with my mom before). With the 15% RO discount for AoA and 35% for OKW, they end up costing almost exactly the same. About $400 more for OKW. SPD is not available for AoA and would not be as good a deal at OKW (where 35% ends up being almost the same as Free Dining for us).

In the back of my mind is the possibility that between now and Feb, Disney could release special FP+ privileges for Deluxe level guests (always rumoured as a possibility). I would definitely want those if possible.

We will have a car, so transportation is not an issue for either resort. Which would you choose??
nervous1sttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
nervous1sttimer
DIS Veteran

Forgot to mention wifi. Whichever resort has better service would be another big Pro for us. I've looked at reviews and not seen anything especially good or bad about either?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Of the two, the 1 bedroom at OKW has my vote. The villa has nearly double the square footage of the AoA family suite, and in your effort to avoid "Too Much Vacation" I'm positive that you're going to appreciate all 942 sq ft of space provided.

When speaking of AoA's gigantic film icons and over-the-top themed pools, it does have more to offer for little ones. It even appeals to me. But, OKW is a lovely resort too. It's quieter with a more laid back atmosphere, a surrounding that both myself and my daughter look forward to after hectic park days. We may run around like loons from sun-up to sundown but part of a vacation is relaxtion, after all. In total, there are 4 pools with The Main Pool being, well, the main pool. It's home to a rather fun sandcastle slide that your children are sure to love. There are also a good number of on-site dining options too. We're particularly fond of Olivia's.

Keep in mind that OKW is a very large resort and because of that you may be placed quite a distance from the Hospitality House. There's an internal bus that runs throghout the resort to take guests to/from the HH, a fantastic little feature to help save your soles for the parks.

Whichever resort you choose you're bound to have a great fantastic. You've narrowed it down to two fantastic resorts (but just think.. 942 or 565? )!

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
nervous1sttimer
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I guess I hoped the vote would be a clear runaway, one way or the other. So far it's a dead heat. Hope that means I can't go wrong?!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Babsy
DIS Veteran

I would be looking at the sleeping arrangements First. Which would accommodate your family better - the one bedroom or the AoA family suite? Of all the things you need in a hotel, it's the beds that are the most important. Everyone will need a comfortable sleep.

Of course, if the sleeping is fine either way, and if one bathroom won't be an issue, then the larger OKW is definitely the choice that I would make. AoA has great theming, but theming is secondary to practical considerations IMO. Almost Double the space for the same $$$ is an easy choice.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

Having a washer and dryer would be worth it to me, I voted for OKW

DH DSME

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Chaoticsweetness
Mouseketeer

I voted OKW. I am leaning towards booking it for December. It looks lovely & peaceful. I stayed AoA in October, while it had wonderful theming, it was crowded & loud. I did not like being woken up at 2am by screaming kids running up & down the hallways.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

For only 400$ more, i would say you really cannot go wrong with a deluxe. OKW would be my pick.

P.s. I just saw pictures... OKW all the way. I wanna go live there.

Last edited by mevelandry; 10-07-2013 at 07:51 AM.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

Just as an FYI - there are buildings at OKW that have 2 bathroom entrances. Still only 1 bathroom but one door from the master & one door from the laundry room. Can't remember for certain but think its something like buildings 30 & up.

The washer/dryer is a huge consideration. I absolutely hate coming home to mountains of wash so I always do laundry while in WDW. Putting a load in at the end of the night or first thing in the morning is not a big deal to me. Because of this, we only travel with carry ons which, depending on your airline, can be fair savings as well.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
nervous1sttimer
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I thought that having 2 bathrooms might tip the scales in favour of AoA, but after thinking about it - I'm totally sold on OKW. Now I just can't wait to be able to book it tomorrow!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
CNYDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I voted for AoA.
CNYDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
lawrenceFletcher
No longer renting points

OKW forever

I go OKW! You will most likely park your car within 50 feet of your room door (not going to happen at AOA) You will have a nice quiet sleep. If you have young children you will wake up and drive to see all the Lion King figures or play at the playground and of course take photos of the kids next to lightning McQueen. When the trees grow in a bit at AOA it may be more attractive but I only see spending a few hours there. Come back in the afternoon, park at the hospitality house and go swimming the the main pool or maybe see if the kids want to try golfing.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyhenry View Post
Having a washer and dryer would be worth it to me, I voted for OKW
x2
Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Definitely OKW as long as you have a car...
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
iloveallthingsdisney
Mouseketeer

OKW was the most inconvenient resort we've ever stayed at! Even with all the perks, I personally would never stay there unless I had my own car. The buses are horrible!! It was so frustrating to have to make so many stops within the resort. However, if you have your own car, I would recommend it. Our room was situated on a side street with no traffic and was very quite. I'd imagine that rooms off of the main road (bus route) might be noisy, though.
iloveallthingsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: