Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
DisMama5
Mouseketeer

New to the Disney Cruise Scene

Hey all-

Im new to the Disney Cruise line scene, I need the experts help! I literally have no idea what I'm getting myself into with a cruise, nevermind a Disney cruise. I've never been on one but have been to Disney tons of times, so were ready to switch it up.

Is food included on the boat in the quote you are priced? If so does that included breakfast, lunch and dinner and unlimited soda/coffee/snacks? How does it work and how much does it include, things like that.

What type of character experiences are on board? Our daughter is SO obsessed with the characters and meeting them, we just got back from Disney and her favorite thing was the meet and greets.

Are there character meals included or that you can book?

Which ships are the best for the kids (silly question I know since they are all Disney but what ship would you call the "best!)

Which ships have the fireworks and water slides?

Basically any info would help.

Thank you in advance!!
DisMama5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Welcome.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise...first-time.htm

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2068966

http://www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMama5 View Post
Hey all- Im new to the Disney Cruise line scene, I need the experts help! I literally have no idea what I'm getting myself into with a cruise, nevermind a Disney cruise. I've never been on one but have been to Disney tons of times, so were ready to switch it up. Is food included on the boat in the quote you are priced? If so does that included breakfast, lunch and dinner and unlimited soda/coffee/snacks? How does it work and how much does it include, things like that. What type of character experiences are on board? Our daughter is SO obsessed with the characters and meeting them, we just got back from Disney and her favorite thing was the meet and greets. Are there character meals included or that you can book? Which ships are the best for the kids (silly question I know since they are all Disney but what ship would you call the "best!) Which ships have the fireworks and water slides? Basically any info would help. Thank you in advance!!
Congratulations on your first cruise. The food is included in your cruise. The only extra charges is speciality beverages, pre-packaged snacks like m&ms, and adult dining. It includes all main dining rooms, pool side quick service buffets, room service, etc.. As much as you can eat. The character meets are listed. Most take place indoors so not as much of an issue waiting in line as the Parks because AC. What cruise are you on most do not have character meals.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Racer X
Mouseketeer

There's always a first time for everything! Poke around the board for a while, and search for things you cannot find. You will learn about 95% of everything you need to know Planning is part of the fun so take your time and find your way around. Good luck! As always, DCL support is there to answer any of your very specific questions.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey all-

Im new to the Disney Cruise line scene, I need the experts help! I literally have no idea what I'm getting myself into with a cruise, nevermind a Disney cruise. I've never been on one but have been to Disney tons of times, so were ready to switch it up.

Is food included on the boat in the quote you are priced? If so does that included breakfast, lunch and dinner and unlimited soda/coffee/snacks? How does it work and how much does it include, things like that. Meals, quick serve locations, room service (except for prepackaged snacks and sodas), drinks at meals and from the 24/7 drink station are included in your cruisefare. Adult dining (Palo or Remy), alcoholic beverages, any drinks ordered from bars/lounges/poolside servers are not included.

What type of character experiences are on board? Our daughter is SO obsessed with the characters and meeting them, we just got back from Disney and her favorite thing was the meet and greets. There a character meet & greets, as well as the probability of you meeting characters around the ship (unlike the parks, the characters must walk through the ship to get to their set locations). And, sometimes the characters/princesses show up in the kids clubs.

Are there character meals included or that you can book? The only "character meals" are the Character Breakfast on the Magic & Wonder cruises of 7 nights and longer. There is a Tea with ....(Alice, the Princesses, Disney Friends, whoever) also on the classic ships. The Fantasy has a Royal Court Tea (for a fee - $275).

Which ships are the best for the kids (silly question I know since they are all Disney but what ship would you call the "best!)

Which ships have the fireworks and water slides? All the ships do fireworks on pirate night (except for the Alaska cruises). All the ships have a smaller water slide for the kids and the Fantasy and Dream have AquaDuck, where the Magic will have AquaDunk.

Basically any info would help.

Thank you in advance!!
My answers in red.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
DisMama5
Mouseketeer

I don't actually have a cruise plan set yet. I'm just starting today lol. I don't know of what ship to lean towards or anything.

I would want to lean towards whichever ship has the most character interaction, along with slides, fireworks and things like that. We will also want to lean towards the Caribbean or Bahamas, probably 7 nights. My daughter will be 4-41/2 at the time of the trip, not even sure on what month either.....

So all tips, suggestions, info is welcomed

TIA
Old 10-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Found it.

Forgot who put this together, but I feel this is very informative for newbies.

Some info may be dated so do confirm, but ....

https://docs.google.com/document/edi...oF&hl=en&pli=1

Last edited by Bear3412; 10-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

I think all the cruise ships have pretty equal character interactions although longer cruises are better for that personal touch.
The classic ships have a character breakfast and tea while the Dream class have the Aquaduck.
Anything four nights or shorter seems short to me. Castaway Cay is not to be missed.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

For the character interactions, look at the top of the screen under staterooms and go to the Navigators menu option. This will show the cruise activities for each ship by date that people have scanned in and posted and will give you an idea of the schedule. It's pretty nice, they use a TV Guide type of format that shows when and where each character is going to be for interactions.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Go to You Tube it is all their.

Seach by ship name, Disney Fantasy etc. There is a Carnival Magic.
DISNEY MAGIC FEB 9-13, 2013
DISNEYLAND 1954 OPENING YEAR & 1977
WDW 1972 OPENING YEAR
WDW 1974 THROUGH JUNE 2013 CAN'T COUNT
HOOP DEE DOO REVIEW 21 TIMES
RIVER COUNTRY
ROAD STEAM TRAIN IN FT WILDERNESS
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
Sarafromcanada
Earning My Ears

Here are some tips

Here are some tips I put together for a friend who recently booked a cruise:

-be sure to arrive the night before - we have done it two ways - you can get in the night before, stay at the Hyatt at the airport and then go to Port Canaveral first thing in the morning or go to Port Canaveral the day before and stay there (my kids loved the beach but beside that, there isn't much to do in Cocoa Beach. If you do stay there, stay at LaQuinta Oceanfront (There are two LaQuintas)
-I would recommend renting a car from the airport (do Avis) and do a one way rental to Port Canaveral. It's about a half hour drive and we really prefer driving ourselves. Or you can use Happy Limo and get a limo there (works out to same price as the DCL bus)
-Disney is the only cruise line where you can take on your own alcohol. But you have to carry it on in a bag, you cant put it in your checked luggage (we usually take a Gym bag and stop at Walmart on our way and stock up). You can take wine to dinner too if you want ($20 corking fee)
-We really preferred the late dining sitting. We would do the AquaDuck waterslide and the pools while everyone is at the early dinner (it is so quiet up there then) and then feed the kids something quick on the pool deck and then put them in the kids club and enjoy dinner just the two of us.
-But if you are going to take them to dinner, take them the night at Animator's Palate - it's really fun
-Your kids will love the kids club on Castaway Cay and then I'd head to the Adult's beach
-But the snorkelling at Castaway is really cool too (there are Mickey Statues underwater)
-We never did any of the shows cause we just aren't into them, so I can't comment on whether they are good or not
-The D Lounge is a neat place to hang out with the kids
-Go to this link: http://disneycruiselineblog.com. Then click on Personal Navigators - you can click on the one for your cruise so you know what to expect when you go (they are like newspapers you get in your cabin every night that tells you what is going on the next day). It helps to look at them ahead of time and plan what you want to do
-One night there is a pirate party and the kids get really dressed up! I plan on looking for costumes after Halloween when they are on sale
-you can take a pillowcase with you with a Sharpie marker and drop it off at guest services and they will get all of the characters to sign it for them for free and deliver it to your room. Or if they go to the kids club for Pluto's PJ party, they will get a pillowcase and then you can drop it off. It's kind of a cool souvenir - our kids really liked it
You can order chocolate chip cookies and chocolate milk and those Mickey Ice Cream bars anytime to your room for free even though they aren't on the room service menu

Hope this helps
Sara
Sarafromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
DisMama5
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone this is a great start for me!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Order a free planning DVD from the Disney Cruise Line website, it is a great overview DVD of all the Disney ships.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
3Adevas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMama5
I don't actually have a cruise plan set yet. I'm just starting today lol. I don't know of what ship to lean towards or anything.

I would want to lean towards whichever ship has the most character interaction, along with slides, fireworks and things like that. We will also want to lean towards the Caribbean or Bahamas, probably 7 nights. My daughter will be 4-41/2 at the time of the trip, not even sure on what month either.....

TIA
7 night Fantasy to Caribbean on The Fantasy would be good for you to look into- there's an Eastern and a Western route. Dream and Fantasy have the Aquaduck waterslide and also the Mickey Slide. Both have a splash pad area for the lil ones. Fantasy has an additional water play area too. Goofy Golf putt putt on upper decks of both too! Castaway Cay stop is a must do! Kids clubs are great my son was 2 1/2 his 1st cruise so he didn't go then but last year at 3 1/2 he loved it!!! Late dining rotation groups have a program where kids go to dining room with you and servers bring their meals then at 9pm the kids club staff picks up kids at dining room entrance and takes them to the club while u can enjoy the rest of a nice meal! I agree with the poster who said take your time and cruise these boards you will find so much great information- almost too much LOL! Happy planning and enjoy whatever cruise you end up on!!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

TIA
I would do the Magic because it has the character breakfasts and smaller ship=shorter lines for characters. Plus she is probably too little for Aqua Duck (or Dunk), but there will be the new Mickey slide on the Magic.
GatorMomInNC is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: