Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
wzd081
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
To be fair, the Boat to DTD IS very nice, but it is not at all fast. How you could complain about the walk at CSR being way too long (and 10 mins is an overstatement most likely) The boat ride to DTD is actually 20+ mins. They even tell you that when you get on the boat, and that's not counting any time you have to wait for the boat. It is still a nice perk, but quick, its not.

There is a certain irony to some of the general thrusts of posts I see here (and be aware the DisBoards are POR and FQ army strongholds) ....

People point to CSR, and complain that its too big and can have too many people.

But at CSR its the size and layout of the resort which makes it seem like there are fewer people than there actually are. POFQ on the other hand, which is very compact, lacks the sweeping views and sprawling grounds, and is stacked three Stories high all around, actually seems cramped and more busy because there are so many people in such a tight space ...
I was saying fast in the grand scheme of things. I wasn't trying to say it was a speed boat. Just that for a boat ride it was fast to me and comparable to a bus ride plus it let me off right in the center of DTD. Everything's relative.

Also, I didn't complain about the walk in any way. I simply stated that it was one of the longer walks to a food court that I've dealt with and estimated around what I thought it was. Also, I never complained that CSR was "too big". I simply stated that it was "huge", especially compared to the FQ. And as far as the people go I stated that if you are there with a convention it "could" get annoying. I apologize that you read what I wrote in a negative way as I was only stating my opinions and observations.
wzd081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!
 
Claire&TheBoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 5,806

I've stayed at both and prefer CSR.

CSR pluses:
- Better pool. The pool at FQ looks more juvenile. The pool at CSR has a fun, long slide (I think longer than any of the other Mods). There are quiet pools, also.
- More food options. We've had several good meals at Pepper Market and Café Rix. I like getting my food and eating it while hot, like at Pepper Market, rather than having to get it in line, wait to pay for it, then wander around looking for a table. POFQ's food court was OK, but nothing special. IMO, it is too small for the resort.
- Scenery. CSR is beautiful, especially at night. It has more visual interest to me than POFQ. POFQ does feel like New Orleans Bourbon Street - narrow and everything close together. I like how spacious CSR is; I don't feel like I'm on top of the building next door.
- Better bus service. We've had good service at CSR on every trip, and the trip to POFQ was decent, but not outstanding. The CSR bus stops at the parks are often closer than POFQ's.
- The rooms at CSR have a more modern feel. The sliding wood door that separates the vanity area from the rest of the room is far superior to the curtain at POFQ. I can shower and get ready without waking the rest of my family.

We took the boat to DTD one night when we stayed at POFQ. I truthfully didn't see what the big draw is. It's a boat. It's not very speedy. It was January and it was quite a chilly ride.

Everyone always says how big CSR is. I never mind the walk - I'm too busy looking at the views across the lake, watching the birds and fish and turtles in the water, looking for rabbits. It has a lot more green space than POFQ and it just feels more like a resort to me.
__________________
Claire Married 17 years to With (12) and (8)

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
bobbie68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 515

Hi We have stayed at CSR twice and POR once. While we were at POR we visited French Quarter.

Personally I like CSR. The pool and hot tub area are awesome. If you are getting the dining plan I think the Pepper Market is a good deal. The rooms are nice and the resort is really beautiful. The resort is large but it is in a big circle so it is very easy to navigate. We stayed in Casitas and Cabanas and loved them both.

French Quarter is a lovely resort. The grounds are nice and it is much smaller. The resort just had a refurb about a year and a half ago. My personal opinion is that the main pool is really geared for smaller children. The food court is okay I feel POR is better. You could use all the amenities at POR if you choose. The one selling point for me is that you can get a boat to DD. We go there frequently and really enjoy it.

Good luck with your choice.
bobbie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out
 
wdwmom0f3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
I've stayed at both and prefer CSR.

CSR pluses:
- Better pool. The pool at FQ looks more juvenile. The pool at CSR has a fun, long slide (I think longer than any of the other Mods). There are quiet pools, also.
- More food options. We've had several good meals at Pepper Market and Café Rix. I like getting my food and eating it while hot, like at Pepper Market, rather than having to get it in line, wait to pay for it, then wander around looking for a table. POFQ's food court was OK, but nothing special. IMO, it is too small for the resort.
- Scenery. CSR is beautiful, especially at night. It has more visual interest to me than POFQ. POFQ does feel like New Orleans Bourbon Street - narrow and everything close together. I like how spacious CSR is; I don't feel like I'm on top of the building next door.
- Better bus service. We've had good service at CSR on every trip, and the trip to POFQ was decent, but not outstanding. The CSR bus stops at the parks are often closer than POFQ's.
- The rooms at CSR have a more modern feel. The sliding wood door that separates the vanity area from the rest of the room is far superior to the curtain at POFQ. I can shower and get ready without waking the rest of my family.

We took the boat to DTD one night when we stayed at POFQ. I truthfully didn't see what the big draw is. It's a boat. It's not very speedy. It was January and it was quite a chilly ride.

Everyone always says how big CSR is. I never mind the walk - I'm too busy looking at the views across the lake, watching the birds and fish and turtles in the water, looking for rabbits. It has a lot more green space than POFQ and it just feels more like a resort to me.
Thanks for this post. We just changed from Riverside to CS and I was worried about doing it but going from a Royal room to a standard gave me another night for basically the same price. It was worth it to me. Plus my DD will be there with other cheerleaders.

I have looked at pictures and videos and CS is gorgeous! I have stayed at Riverside many times so I'm looking forward to something new. It's funny too that you mentioned the wooden doors separating the dressing area. That's one thing that I noticed and loved about the rooms there.
__________________
Carla DH DD 21 DD 16 DS 13
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
ready123go
DIS Veteran
 
ready123go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 831

We have stayed at both (& will stay at each again). Our disclaimer: in general, we prefer larger resorts, cruise ships, etc.

Prefer CSR for:
- The grounds, gorgeous and expansive. Lots of walking & we love to walk.
- Restaurants, loved the variety at the Pepper Market.
- Rooms seemed larger and more modern.
- Feels more like a Deluxe than a Moderate
- Seems less crowded, because of spreading layout.

- Drawback - cheerleading conventions in Feb. - Teenagers loosely supervised. Survivable, but ugh...

I've heard the CSR busses are less crowded, due to so many 'conventionears'. We have been there at a convention, so I can't speak to that. I don't notice any difference between transportation at the two resorts, but we go in Feb.


POFQ is nice for:
- Great theming.
- Good evening/ nightlife, if you like that sort of thing (we don't).
- Generally quaint.
ready123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."
 
hollypoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready123go View Post
We have stayed at both (& will stay at each again). Our disclaimer: in general, we prefer larger resorts, cruise ships, etc.

Prefer CSR for:
- The grounds, gorgeous and expansive. Lots of walking & we love to walk.
- Restaurants, loved the variety at the Pepper Market.
- Rooms seemed larger and more modern.
- Feels more like a Deluxe than a Moderate
- Seems less crowded, because of spreading layout.

- Drawback - cheerleading conventions in Feb. - Teenagers loosely supervised. Survivable, but ugh...

I've heard the CSR busses are less crowded, due to so many 'conventionears'. We have been there at a convention, so I can't speak to that. I don't notice any difference between transportation at the two resorts, but we go in Feb.


POFQ is nice for:
- Great theming.
- Good evening/ nightlife, if you like that sort of thing (we don't).
- Generally quaint.
What are the dates for the Cheerleading groups?
hollypoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
robynluvsdisney
Earning My Ears
 
robynluvsdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 34

Thank you all for the pros and cons. We have stayed at POFQ and I was kind of bummed it was more (just a little) than CSR when we are going in November. I am excited about CSR now. It sounds like it is going to hit the spot. I have a new question if anyone can explain. We have 4 families of 4 going. One family really needed a suite for sleeping children. We are going at a slow time so if we can request a specific area what should we request to be as close together as possible. Thanks in advance.
robynluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #23
snorkelyn
Mouseketeer
 
snorkelyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannm View Post
Please help me decide! I like both. Tell me what you like, what you dislike, what the perks, tips and tricks are of both please...

We currently have ressies for French quarter for 7 nights on the S,P,D deal. Coronado is $5 more per night, is it worth the $5 more per night or no?

Why would you choose one over the other? Does one have better transportation times, more frequency?

Which pool is better? Hot tubs are better? Which rooms are better? (Bigger? better locations for the Standard view rooms)

We are staying in the standard view no matter which resort we're at.

Does one have better snack, food, activity options?

I know French quarter has bon fires, I don't know much more.

If you absolutely dislike one resort, please don't just say "I can't stand XXXX , I'd never stay there." Because that does not help me. I need to know WHY. I need to hear the positives and negatives of both.

I like the looks of both. I like that French quarter is smaller...does that mean less walking to get to the dinning/activities/bus stops??? I think the pool LOOKs cooler at Coronado- but is it just the pictures that Disney has posted to make it look that cool???

Please help. Rooms are available at Coronado currently, and our current ressie is for French quarter. If I wait until the 8th (when the offer is available to the general public), the rooms may fill up pretty fast.
We just returned from an 11 day stay at CSR. I would not stay there again. I'll start with the PROS: Beautiful grounds, liked the door to separate bathroom vanity area, Pepper Market was an awesome CS- especially if you are on the dining plan (except for the automatic gratuity they add), great pool.

OK, the CONS, although few, outweighed the pros- so we won't be back. We booked a standard room. We ended up getting the furthest out room in the way-back 40! It was a 15 minute walk each way to the main building. If you have a refillable mug, it would NOT be worth the 30 minute round trip walk! And, you COULD refill at the pool- as long as you do it before 6pm when they close the pool bar/snack bar! It was convienient to a bus stop- but that was it! We have 3 young kids and found that we never enjoyed the amenities offered at the main building because our kids didn't have the energy to walk up there after a day at the parks. You *can* take a bus.....but you'll have to wait for it.

I requested cabanas when I booked the trip, but didn't get it.

Our next stay is booked at POR in a preferred building of Alligator Bayou. I would rather pay for that upgrade than get stuck with a terrible room location again.

Good luck with your decision. If you do decide on CSR, at least TRY to request a better location such as Cabanas- which seem to be central to the main pool, main building and a bus stop (although, everyone who got on at this stop had to stand since it was the 3rd stop)
__________________
Me, DH, DS-10, : DD-8, DS-6

9/2010-Poly 9/2013-CSR 3/2014-POR 5/2014-Boardwalk Villas 7/2014-POR 9/2014-Contemporary-CL 9/2014 Yacht Club



snorkelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
Shaden
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzd081 View Post
I was saying fast in the grand scheme of things. I wasn't trying to say it was a speed boat. Just that for a boat ride it was fast to me and comparable to a bus ride plus it let me off right in the center of DTD. Everything's relative.

Also, I didn't complain about the walk in any way. I simply stated that it was one of the longer walks to a food court that I've dealt with and estimated around what I thought it was. Also, I never complained that CSR was "too big". I simply stated that it was "huge", especially compared to the FQ. And as far as the people go I stated that if you are there with a convention it "could" get annoying. I apologize that you read what I wrote in a negative way as I was only stating my opinions and observations.
Oh my, no need to apologize, though yes I did read your post in a negative tone, I think mine came across in a harsh tone as well

I think it was the Caps and Bolding of the word "huge" when describing CSR that made me read it in the negative tone.

Yea like I said the boat is nice, we were there for almost 2 weeks in may, and after a couple trips on the boat started taking the bus, we actually found it to be much faster, but, maybe not as nice

Hey, nothing wrong with opinions or observations, sorry if I came off as harsh sounding, didn't mean to.
__________________
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
Shaden
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelyn View Post
We ended up getting the furthest out room in the way-back 40! It was a 15 minute walk each way to the main building. If you have a refillable mug, it would NOT be worth the 30 minute round trip walk! And, you COULD refill at the pool- as long as you do it before 6pm when they close the pool bar/snack bar!
This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. There is no 15 min walk at CSR, unless you have an issue which makes you walk slower. The FARTHEST walk possible is 640 Meters to the main building.

That means that at an Average walking speed of 5km/hour (this is not fast, it is a normal average walk, no effort to rush) it would take 8 mins or less to walk to the main building from the farthest point at CSR. Meaning your round trip would be 16 mins or less ... what you estimated for a one way trip, or roughly half the length. Still not a short trip, but its really not near as big a deal breaker as 30 mins ... And yes the pool and pool bar is right there until it closes.


CSR is beautiful, and while its big, from the vast majority of rooms your walk will be 5 mins or less, and the longest, well that's above.
__________________
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #26
ready123go
DIS Veteran
 
ready123go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollypoast View Post
What are the dates for the Cheerleading groups?
There are various Cheer & Dance competitions from the end of January to mid-March or so. I found a list, but the dates are both 2013 & 2014, so I'm not sure if the list is accurate or not. ESPN WWS

National HS Cheerleading Competition (NHSCC) for 2014 will be Feb 8-9. And, yep, we'll be right in the midst of it. This year it won't be so rough for us, we are staying at BCV, a deluxe instead of value or moderate. We have encountered larger groups at both vals & mods, but not so much at the deluxes. It's also a leisure trip. We don't have to get up before the chickens for 6:00am meetings, so loud teenagers at midnight won't be as disruptive.

Having said all that - those kids are cute & sweet...and so darn peppy!
ready123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Tink0812
Mouseketeer
 
Tink0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 245

My family has stayed at POFQ on a couple occasions. We love it because we tend to spend our evenings at DTD and having the convenience of the boat is wonderful. My mom and I also love to shop too so we spend pretty much any down time there. The theming holds a special place in my heart because several years ago I did Hurricane Katrina relief in New Orleans and the only place in the city left undamaged was the French Quarter and the resort just reminds me of how beautiful it was. We also enjoy the rooms because they resemble the size of deluxe rooms. There are five in my family so we always brought along an air mattress which there was plenty of room for without tripping over it. The food court has plenty of different choices and seems well organized and we never once had troubles with the buses. The grounds are very pretty and it's nice to be able to walk around both FQ and RS early in the morning. The pool is nice too but we never really spend time there (we would rather hit up the water parks). With all of that being said, I am staying at CSR for the first time next week so I will let everyone know what I think of it, especially in comparison.
__________________
Wilderness Lodge~ Port Orleans French Quarter~ Animal Kingdom Lodge~ Pop Century~ Coronado Springs~ Caribbean Beach~ All-Star Movies/Music/Sports
Tink0812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
snorkelyn
Mouseketeer
 
snorkelyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. There is no 15 min walk at CSR, unless you have an issue which makes you walk slower. The FARTHEST walk possible is 640 Meters to the main building.

That means that at an Average walking speed of 5km/hour (this is not fast, it is a normal average walk, no effort to rush) it would take 8 mins or less to walk to the main building from the farthest point at CSR. Meaning your round trip would be 16 mins or less ... what you estimated for a one way trip, or roughly half the length. Still not a short trip, but its really not near as big a deal breaker as 30 mins ... And yes the pool and pool bar is right there until it closes.


CSR is beautiful, and while its big, from the vast majority of rooms your walk will be 5 mins or less, and the longest, well that's above.
Sorry I'm driving you nuts Shaden! But I disagree with you. Allears says the walk from El Centro to Ranchos is .46 miles. I bet that doesn't include walking from the back of the building to the front. And walking through El Centro to wherever within the building that you are going. After a long day at the parks... it can seem very long! After 11 days of this, my family didn't like it. OP asked for opinions, and I am just sharing mine.
__________________
Me, DH, DS-10, : DD-8, DS-6

9/2010-Poly 9/2013-CSR 3/2014-POR 5/2014-Boardwalk Villas 7/2014-POR 9/2014-Contemporary-CL 9/2014 Yacht Club



snorkelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 9,285

I like CSR over POFQ. I personally dont care for the smallness of POFQ at all. i'd rather have a bigger resort with more options. The only thing i like about POFQ is the boat to DTD. However, my absolute fave resort is POR. But thats another story.

What I love about CSR:

- the pool, to me, is nicer than POFQ.
- love that there's a sand volleyball court
- I love that there's QS at the pool (with mug refills!)
- my son loved the arcade at the pool...and ping pong!
- the BEST bus service EVER! never waited more than 5 min, never had to stand. That includes boarding after wishes!
- we had a standard room and stayed at cabanas. AMAZING location. Right across the pool and bus stop!
__________________
I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!



........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
LONES
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. There is no 15 min walk at CSR, unless you have an issue which makes you walk slower. The FARTHEST walk possible is 640 Meters to the main building.

That means that at an Average walking speed of 5km/hour (this is not fast, it is a normal average walk, no effort to rush) it would take 8 mins or less to walk to the main building from the farthest point at CSR. Meaning your round trip would be 16 mins or less ... what you estimated for a one way trip, or roughly half the length. Still not a short trip, but its really not near as big a deal breaker as 30 mins ... And yes the pool and pool bar is right there until it closes.


CSR is beautiful, and while its big, from the vast majority of rooms your walk will be 5 mins or less, and the longest, well that's above.
I still think it's valid for people to give their experiences with the walk. I travel with my huband, 2 kids, and my parents. My youngest daughter is tiny, and slow as molasses. I would guess she takes 4 steps to my every one step. That 8 minute walk would be closer to 15 minutes with her along with me. The other option is to pick her up and carry her. Now my 8 minute leisurely stroll through a beautiful resort isn't looking so good.

My dad is pushing 70, and walks with a cane. I know I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that 8 minute walk would be closer to 25 minutes for him. Even though the average person posting might be exagerating when they say it was a 15 minute walk.... I at least know it was bad enough that they remember it as a drawback. I also know that for my situation.... it would not be tolerable.

We just booked a trip for January. We booked the 1st day of the Disney Visa offer, and could have had our pick of most anywhere. My Dad decided on French Quarter, because as he said, "Even if we have the worst luck on the planet with our room location, I should be able to handle it".
LONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.