Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #91
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
1. The monorail closure cannot be compare to a ride closure announced months in advance. Disney clearly dropped the ball here. Guests at the resort NOW got a message under their doors this AM .
You know, I would like to agree with you. As someone who has check in to a resort only to find a main amenity not functional, I get being upset. Been there, done that! And actually made the trek to the front desk to speak with the manager about their lack of communication. It seems that Disney is unsure of exact construction/upkeep dates for some reason, and if you are one of the unlucky ones to arrive just when the construction/upkeep starts, you get an unpleasant surprise.

But the truth is, Disney guarantees you nothing when you make a resort reservation. They don't even guarantee you will get a room at the resort you book! They are free to shuffle you to another resort if they so choose. And all operational hours--pool hours, bus hours, and yes monorail hours are subject to change.

It stinks for those who show up at the Poly and get the note under their door. But the only thing Disney can do to fix the problem of the monorail being down is to add more boats and more buses to get people back and forth. Which is exactly what they are doing.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #92
Darthbane2007
Earning My Ears

I honestly do not see big deal. It is only lasting a couple weeks...
Darthbane2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #93
pieface
Mouseketeer

The big deal is you pay a $1,000 more to stay at a monorail resort and no monorail. Rooms should be discounted during that time period for the loss of the monorail that is only fair.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #94
Darthbane2007
Earning My Ears

But who do you give discounts to?
Darthbane2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #95
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieface View Post
The big deal is you pay a $1,000 more to stay at a monorail resort and no monorail. Rooms should be discounted during that time period for the loss of the monorail that is only fair.
It is no different from Disney not discounting park tickets when they have some of the rides down for refurbishment. This actually isn't even as bad, at least the monorail is still running, just on a limited schedule.

And as was pointed out earlier, there are multiple Disney resorts that cost more than the Contemporary resort. People are not necessarily paying more for a monorail resort. They can be paying more to stay at a resort without one.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #96
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

It is no different from Disney not discounting park tickets when they have some of the rides down for refurbishment. This actually isn't even as bad, at least the monorail is still running, just on a limited schedule.

And as was pointed out earlier, there are multiple Disney resorts that cost more than the Contemporary resort. People are not necessarily paying more for a monorail resort. They can be paying more to stay at a resort without one.
I font agree. Most folks stay on monorail resorts because of the monorail. When thats one of your primary reasons to stay there and its down i would ask fir a discount. Little comparison to one great ride of many many rides being down in the park. Im a travel agent and if I had a client affected i sure would be on the phone trying to help them.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #97
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieface View Post

You pay that much more for a Deluxe not just for the monorail. What about the refrigerators? People pay for them and didn't get them. Stop whining.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #98
RedStars
Mouseketeer

Are they bussing people between the resorts? That's where it would be highly inconvenient.

When we stayed at the Poly last year, our main motivator was the convenience of the monorail. We took advantage of eating in restaurants along the monorail.

Not to mention, we had two young kids with a double stroller. There were many days we went back and forth in the middle of the day.

And if you booked BC and they told you SAB was closed AFTER you checked in, wouldn't you be mad?
RedStars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #99
poohgirl6
I dream of Stormalong Bay

OP, so sorry this is happening during your visit. I would totally be upset if we were there and the "down times" were occurring on our time and money.

CR is where we have stayed recently, and the monorail is an big draw for staying there. Yes, you can walk to MK (but what if it's inclement weather or you're really tired or have a family member that can't make the walk?) but there is no boat launch to CR (although I think several years ago there was ). Those launches from Poly and GF to MK are very small and don't seat many people at a time, so I would imagine the lines would build up there, esp during peak times.

Hope they get whatever fixes, maintenance, etc done and resume the normal operating schedule soon. Would hate to hear that this is how things will be in the future.
Polynesian/Beach Club 1997
Ft. Wilderness 2000
Contemporary 2001
Dolphin/BCV 2006
BWV/AKV Jan 2010
CR/POR Sept 2012
Contemporary Sept 2013
Yacht Club/CR August/Sept 2014

The Fam
DH Me : DD28 DS24 DS17 DS15 DGS4 DGD
poohgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #100
SSR
DIS Veteran

Would it be fair to say that Disney is aiming to have this work completed and the monorail up and running at full tilt in time for the 10/23 opening of the Grand Floridian Villas?
SSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #101
katieg999
Earning My Ears

I am feeling troubled by the lack of compassion here...

Sorry...wrong thread...meant to post this in the main thread...

Last edited by katieg999; 10-08-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: wrong thread
katieg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #102
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfd155

I don't know if pricing would change much if at all. It's a Magic Kingdom resort, not necessarily advertised as a monorail resort. The rate is due to the room and resort amenities. The proximity to Magic Kingdom is paramount. The views and even a short 5 minute bus ride will justify the rate. The monorail is a resort amenity but by no means is the whole reason the rate is what it is. I feel for those without notice. They are unable to change plans if they are shorted by having limited monorail use. I personally wouldn't use the monorail as a deal breaker or an excuse for a discount.

Someone else posted last week about a hypothetical situation regarding all star resort and Epcot. The jist of the comments stated that all star would not be considered a value resort if it was close to Epcot. The rates would probably be in the vicinity of a moderate. As they say in real estate.... Location location location
WL is significantly less than the 3 monorail resorts and it is a Deluxe MK resort.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #103
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

As long as they are providing extra boats and ones that can handle ECVs I don't expect a discount. The main reason we do book the Poly or any MK monorail resort is for the monorail. My mom travels in an ECV and we spend more time in MK then any other park. She hates boarding buses with the ECV as so many people give her dirty looks while waiting. She absolutely hates it.

I do expect a resort advertised as a monorail resort to tell their upcoming guests of the inconvenience though. We will be doing there this Sunday til the following Sunday and haven't been told anything. I got the info from this board. It would have been nice to have been alerted to this prior to visiting.

Disney did drop the ball on this one.
DaisyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #104
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyD View Post

Disney did drop the ball on this one.
That's where we differ. I don't think Disney dropped the ball. With construction, you never know what and how everything will be affected. To my knowledge, they are not planning another docking station, it's just that something happened in the construction phase that they didn't expect. The construction company (not Disney) could be the reason that this is happening. I will complain about Disney if there is reason too, just in this case, they are providing alternatives, and they are limiting the hours down, and they are still using the express line. They are doing all they can. I would not expect a refund at all.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #105
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger's ally View Post
That's where we differ. I don't think Disney dropped the ball. With construction, you never know what and how everything will be affected. To my knowledge, they are not planning another docking station, it's just that something happened in the construction phase that they didn't expect. The construction company (not Disney) could be the reason that this is happening. I will complain about Disney if there is reason too, just in this case, they are providing alternatives, and they are limiting the hours down, and they are still using the express line. They are doing all they can. I would not expect a refund at all.
Well Disney knows sent out letters under peoples doors a few days ago so they indeed know the monorail will be shut down. So where is my letter? They have sent letters to me warning of construction on the beach. Where is the letter warning me that we won't have monorail access for 7 hours a day during my entire stay?
IMO Disney dropped the ball and since it affects ME then yeah I can say that. I am not asking for compensation as long as there is another alternative to the bus for ECVS. RustySkupper said there should be boats with ECV access so that will be fine with me. If there isn't then yeah, I'll be complaining. We are long time resort guests to the Poly as I'm sure many are. It is common courtesy to tell guests what will be open or closed during our stay at the resort.
Heck we went to the Hershey Spa last year for a weekend and I got a phone call 2 days before letting me know one of the mineral spas would be down and would that be a problem. I expect the same from Disney.
DaisyD is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
contemporary, monorail, october

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: