Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #151
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post

The only thing I can figure is that some guests - like those in this thread who have several relatives with ECVs - might reschedule or cancel their reservations altogether. But even if you had a month's notice instead of a week's notice, how much could you actually change? Would you really cancel your plans to go to WDW a month out & reschedule an entirely different vacation just because monorail service is going to be spotty?

Some people in this thread will probably answer "YES!" But I would guess that the number of people for which this is true is minuscule. The number of people wanting to complain about this is large, but the amount of people who would actually change their plans is rather small.

Secondly, from Disney's perspective, catering their press releases to a very small group just so that small group can decide to NOT give Disney their money doesn't seem like a worthwhile business decision.

Lastly, it's very possible that they don't know a month ahead of time EXACTLY when work will need to be done in that specific area. Construction projects get delayed. If you announce in September that the monorail will be impacted during the second week in October, but then a few weeks later you find out that it will affect the third week in October (or even more likely, the project gets extended), you've got just as many angry people.
I think that notifying guests and allowing them to determine if the monorail reduced schedule is going to be a problem is the right thing to do. I have no idea how any individual guest is going to react or what changes that that person would feel the need to make, but guests should be allowed to decide for themselves if this inconvenience merited changes.

What is a minor annoyance to me may be a very alarming problem for another. For instance, when AKL was undergoing construction, I chose to stay elsewhere. I simply did not want to pay for the pleasure of construction noises. I knew about teh construction and chose to pay for a different resort. In this case, Disney now knows that the disruption n monorail service is a problem for some guests, and I do not see why they do not offer the opportunity for guests to change resorts, change dates or cancel altogether. Simple good will and common courtesy IMO.

I doubt many people would make changes, but that it is not an issue for me or for others should not negate that it may be a major problem for some and they may want to make alternate plans.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #152
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post

I think that notifying guests and allowing them to determine if the monorail reduced schedule is going to be a problem is the right thing to do. I have no idea how any individual guest is going to react or what changes that that person would feel the need to make, but guests should be allowed to decide for themselves if this inconvenience merited changes.

What is a minor annoyance to me may be a very alarming problem for another. For instance, when AKL was undergoing construction, I chose to stay elsewhere. I simply did not want to pay for the pleasure of construction noises. I knew about teh construction and chose to pay for a different resort. In this case, Disney now knows that the disruption n monorail service is a problem for some guests, and I do not see why they do not offer the opportunity for guests to change resorts, change dates or cancel altogether. Simple good will and common courtesy IMO.

I doubt many people would make changes, but that it is not an issue for me or for others should not negate that it may be a major problem for some and they may want to make alternate plans.
Has anyone actually reported Disney refusing to move them to another resort if they feel inconvenienced by the monorail shutdown?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #153
pieface
Mouseketeer

D.P. are you Zorro or batman
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #154
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieface View Post
Ummmm... neither? I'm a retired ship captain, currently living in Patagonia. Does that answer your question?
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #155
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:

What is a minor annoyance to me may be a very alarming problem for another. For instance, when AKL was undergoing construction, I chose to stay elsewhere. I simply did not want to pay for the pleasure of construction noises. I knew about teh construction and chose to pay for a different resort.
How did Disney treat the AKL construction situation? Did you find out on your own, or did Disney notify you directly ahead of time - and if so - how much warning did they give you?

I'm just curious as to whether Disney is handling this situation any differently than other interruptions.

For example, they're doing all kinds of construction at the Poly now too. I would imagine that guests of the Poly are none too happy, but I have not looked for threads on that yet. However, I do know that they're re-categorizing some rooms. For example, if a particular room usually has a "theme park view" but now have a view of construction walls, it's now a "garden view". So, those guests are either getting reassigned to a different room, or a refund.

I don't know if/whether Disney notified Poly guests about the construction, and whether it has followed a similar pattern to other construction projects.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #156
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
How did Disney treat the AKL construction situation? Did you find out on your own, or did Disney notify you directly ahead of time - and if so - how much warning did they give you? I'm just curious as to whether Disney is handling this situation any differently than other interruptions. For example, they're doing all kinds of construction at the Poly now too. I would imagine that guests of the Poly are none too happy, but I have not looked for threads on that yet. However, I do know that they're re-categorizing some rooms. For example, if a particular room usually has a "theme park view" but now have a view of construction walls, it's now a "garden view". So, those guests are either getting reassigned to a different room, or a refund. I don't know if/whether Disney notified Poly guests about the construction, and whether it has followed a similar pattern to other construction projects.

There was plenty of discussion about construction, with schedules posted. I knew it was happening, and even though I had heard that guests were moved as much as possible if they were booked, I did not want to chance it. I opted to reserve a different resort. I do not know how the resort handled guests who had booked prior to the construction schedule was released. I think that situation is different than the one that the monorail resorts are experiencing in that there really was no notification to guests who had already booked.

Missy- I have not read anything here about how Disney is handling guests who want to change resorts.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #157
Shaden
DIS Veteran

edited out ... :P
Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #158
midge3426
Mouseketeer

Basically, Disney dropped the ball. They plan for major construction months and even years in advance. They have an obligation to post on their web site any construction issues that may affect a guest's stay at their resort. I know that construction lags behind schedule at times, but they have a pretty good idea at the beginning of a project what is affected and when that would happen. They knew in January that they may have to close the monorail and approximately when that would happen. If not, then they need to terminate some managers. Disney owes their guests superior communication. The monorail is an amenity that is promoted for that resort. Whatever reason someone chooses that resort is their business and if the monorail closure affects their stay, then they should be able to cancel without penalty, be moved to another resort, or given a discount. Again, Disney needs to communicate better with their guests or potential guest. It is their responsibility.
midge3426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #159
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There was plenty of discussion about construction, with schedules posted. I knew it was happening, and even though I had heard that guests were moved as much as possible if they were booked, I did not want to chance it. I opted to reserve a different resort. I do not know how the resort handled guests who had booked prior to the construction schedule was released. I think that situation is different than the one that the monorail resorts are experiencing in that there really was no notification to guests who had already booked.

Missy- I have not read anything here about how Disney is handling guests who want to change resorts.
I guess I'm still a little confused. Are you saying that Disney contacted you ahead of time? Saying that there was "plenty of discussion" and "schedules posted" sounds like it was on DIS or another place. Did Disney contact you, or did they post information months ahead of time on their own website? If they offered to rebook people who weren't happy, are they doing so now as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge3426 View Post
Basically, Disney dropped the ball... Again, Disney needs to communicate better with their guests or potential guest. It is their responsibility.
When the Poly construction started (last week?), it seems like it was a surprise to everybody. A press release about the Poly DVC went out the day construction started, & the press release was so "low key" that many people didn't believe it was real (at least until the fences went up).

I haven't tracked all of Disney's construction announcements. But in at least 3 monorail stoppages & the Poly construction, no official announcement was made ahead of time. From what I remember of the VGF, construction had already started before Disney announced it - the joke at the time was that since no announcement had been made, you could point out the new building to cast members and they would pretend to look all around and say "What new building?"

In reading the thread about the Poly construction, it seems to be having little impact on current guests, unless you're walking to the TTC (except, of course, for the monorail outage, and there's a big argument about the monorail there too).

It seems like Disney just doesn't announce its construction plans ahead of time. In general, it appears that they don't want to give you the chance to reschedule - they would rather minimize its impact on current guests & try to accommodate people who are unhappy.

I could see why some people wouldn't like this strategy, but it does appear to be consistent over the last several projects.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #160
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

Quote:

I did get a letter from the Poly last month about construction on the beach near Sunset Point so they do know to alert people incase of any issues. I still haven't gotten any letter or call from the in relation to the monorail closing. I think we should have at least expected a warning and not waiting til check in.
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #161
anniescupboards
Earning My Ears

Disney has to do maintenance at some point in the year. Then everyone freaks out about it.

The buses work fine.

I expect several rides or things to be down when I go. They have to do it sometime. It's the park of the magic. To clean it up and keep it working.

Just say next time we will do it and have that to look forward too.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #162
anniescupboards
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Has anyone actually reported Disney refusing to move them to another resort if they feel inconvenienced by the monorail shutdown?

I had a resort switch me to another resort all cause they didn't have any more king beds and I got the same price. Of course they will.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #163
pieface
Mouseketeer

D.P. I hope I didn't offend you just making a joke. If I did I apologize.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #164
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieface View Post
I'm offended by this question :P
Old 10-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #165
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniescupboards View Post
Disney has to do maintenance at some point in the year. Then everyone freaks out about it. The buses work fine. I expect several rides or things to be down when I go. They have to do it sometime. It's the park of the magic. To clean it up and keep it working. Just say next time we will do it and have that to look forward too.
Why would you book & pay the price of a Monorail Resort to take a bus??
If I wanted to book a resort & take a bus, I'd stay @ AKL, POR, maybe any other mods, maybe even a Value!! For those prices @ the Poly, I would NOT want to take the bus!!
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contemporary, monorail, october

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: