Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #136
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
#4 is complete crap ... wow, its "nice" of Disney to offer for part of the day what you paid to have all day. That's not nice, that's insufficient.

#5 Isn't a very strong point either, Disney guarantees transport from the resorts to the parks. If people are unable to take the Monorail, they MUST provide an alternative to pick up that transport capacity. This isn't "nice" of them, they MUST do at least this. But this still doesn't make up for not having a monorail. You can get a Bus from any resort, including values, so increasing the number of busses in order to meet the increased usage isn't nice, its what people at Value and Moderate resorts get, you still aren't getting what you paid for.
I'm curious about this. Does Disney really "guarantee" transportation to all the parks? It may be in their legalese somewhere, but I just checked their website & couldn't find it anywhere. I even made a fake reservation directly through the Disney site, & read through the Terms & Conditions, and didn't see anything about complementary transportation being guaranteed, let alone a guarantee of a monorail.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #137
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

We were at the Poly this past week and the monorail shut down began Sunday. It wasn't a big deal for us. We took the boat back from MK to the Poly about 3:00 - they had several boats running. We just waited about 10 minutes for one. While we were waiting out front of the Poly later that afternoon for the ME bus, there were LOTS of MK buses leaving the Poly.

Disney wasn't shutting down the Monorail just to annoy their customers or even to save money - they were doing it to for the safety of the workers at the GF.
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #138
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

I love the DISboards! You guys entertain me! I can't wait for page 11, 12 and 13!!
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #139
spritna
Mouseketeer

i think i found the solution for the people that desperately need "there" monorail.http://www.disneystore.com/walt-disn...54559/1000265/

spritna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #140
Hisgirl
DIS Veteran

Well, to put my two cents in, we also chose the Grand for the monorail. I'm taking an 83 yr old and an 82 yr old. This was the ONLY reason we chose GF. The east of getting Mama and Daddy back to the room in short order so they can rest.

I hope and pray things are back up and running by the 20th. Because by 2pm, they'll be done for the day.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #141
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyD View Post
And yes everyone can have an opinion but unless you are in the persons shoes that is actually staying there during the time of this issue, I pretty much considered yours invalid.
Thanks for you consideration.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #142
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

I just wish some people would realize that the monorail CAN be very important for some other people (for accessibility reasons or just because of their itinerary) and just respect their choice/reasons instead of making fun of them/complaining about them.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #143
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post

I wasn't burned by acid or something - it's just they're terribly comfortable, I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means....
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #144
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

Actually there are deluxe resorts with no monorail service. Ones that actually cost more than the Contemporary resort. You can't claim the monorail resorts are the most expensive resorts because they have the monorail. That is simply not true. Having the monorail might add to their value over-all, but it still doesn't rank as the number one thing that drives the cost of
And as someone who has stayed at deluxe resorts, I can testify to the fact that they have the worst transportation service out of all of the resorts. The buses are much more reliable than the monorail.
I totally disagree with everything said here. The bus does not hold a candle to the monorail as an experience or as a convienence.

Disney buses stink.....

I do so love the launches thou
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #145
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
I just wish some people would realize that the monorail CAN be very important for some other people (for accessibility reasons or just because of their itinerary) and just respect their choice/reasons instead of making fun of them/complaining about them.
Exactly. When you are taking someone in their 80s that uses and ECV, the monorail is a huge feature we depend on. Why they don't close it and work at NIGHT when the park is closed is beyond me. Why do it when people are using it during the day. If it were that much of a safety issue they wouldn't run it at all, not just close it during the day.
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #146
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyD View Post
Exactly. When you are taking someone in their 80s that uses and ECV, the monorail is a huge feature we depend on. Why they don't close it and work at NIGHT when the park is closed is beyond me. Why do it when people are using it during the day. If it were that much of a safety issue they wouldn't run it at all, not just close it during the day.
It's not a safety issue in terms of guest safety. As the previous poster said, the construction of the DVC Villas at the Grand Floridian is interrupting the monorail. If it's a safety issue, it's in terms of worker safety as they complete VGF.

As for why they are closing during the day instead of at night, there are two options:

1) Maybe they are working on it at night too.

2) If they're not working on it at night, perhaps there are reasons that the construction can't be done at night. Again, they're doing major construction. It's possible that whatever they're doing would interrupt GF guests throughout the night, and closing the monorail for limited hours may be the lesser of two evils compared to the sound of jackhammers keeping GF guests awake at night.

It does stink for those people who wanted to use the monorail, but Disney wouldn't close it unless it was a necessity.

In general, I agree with all those posters who said that Disney should have given guests more notice. However, I can't think of anything that affected guests could choose to do instead - monorails don't serve any other resort areas, so it's not like switching to a different hotel would make any difference.

Construction of VGF interrupted the WDW monorail on several other occasions earlier in the project too:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-07-11/the-daily-disney/os-disney-world-monorail-hours-20110711_1_monorail-trains-monorail-fleet-zoraya-suarez

It sounds like they followed a similar plan back then: announcing construction only a week or so before it happened, and then closing it for limited hours during the middle of the day.

When I saw the Grand Floridian DVC construction begin, I wondered whether it might affect monorail operation, but it looked to be far enough from the rail. The GF DVC doesn't have its own stop, so there's no inherent reason to think that it should have done so. However, we have known for months that the GF DVC would open in October 2013 - just weeks away. So, for those of you who absolutely need the monorail, you might want to plan your visits in future years to avoid the completion date of the Polynesian DVC, just in case!

On the other hand, it sounds like the Polynesian resort itself may require more extensive renovation. If they have to essentially rebuild the Grand Ceremonial House, you can bet that the monorail will be impacted. I would recommend following Tikiman's various news sites.

Monorail interruptions aren't new to Disney. The Disneyland monorail is more of a ride than a transportation feature, but it closed for an extensive amount of time from 1999-2001 as California Adventure and the Grand Californian were built. It could be worse...

Last edited by DPCummerbund; 10-09-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #147
disneyandme
DIS Veteran

For those who don't think it's a big deal to have the monorail closed, imagine if the International Gateway was closed right now for two weeks for a large part of the day (no walkway, no boats) and you were staying at the Deluxe resorts nearby. Wouldn't you be irritated that you had to catch the bus to the front of Epcot and a bus back when you planned on the convenience to walk in and out each day? Imagine having children in strollers that now had to be folded up for the bus or an ECV/wheelchair that now had to be loaded up.

disneyandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #148
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyandme View Post
For those who don't think it's a big deal to have the monorail closed, imagine if the International Gateway was closed right now for two weeks for a large part of the day (no walkway, no boats) and you were staying at the Deluxe resorts nearby. Wouldn't you be irritated that you had to catch the bus to the front of Epcot and a bus back when you planned on the convenience to walk in and out each day? Imagine having children in strollers that now had to be folded up for the bus or an ECV/wheelchair that now had to be loaded up.
I hate to quibble, but your analogy is a bit off. The monorail is just one of the transportation options for the monorail resorts. There's also boats (Poly and GF) and a walkway (CR). So if you want to make an analogy between the monorail resorts and the Epcot resorts, it isn't closing the International Gateway. Disney isn't closing the MK entrance to monorail resort guests, they are simply taking away one of the transportation options. If the Friendship Boats were down during the middle of the day (which they have been before), then Epcot resorts guests have the options of walking or taking the added buses Disney will provide.

Is this shutdown an inconvenience? Absolutely? But vacation ruining? Not by a long shot
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #149
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

Is this shutdown an inconvenience? Absolutely? But vacation ruining? Not by a long shot

I think that we all have reasons for booking resorts and we all budget our finances to pay for the amenities that we find important. While I agree that the monorail shut down is not going to be a deal breaker for most people, it is shallow to think that what may be an inconvenience to one may be shattering to another. Monorail resorts are unique because of the ease and convenience that the monorail offers and this mode of transportation can make the difference between a transportation nightmare and a vacation that is manageable.

I am the last person to suggest that Disney should modify their repair or shutdown schedule, and that is in regards to attractions, transportation and resorts and restaurants, but I do believe that there needs to be a better way of notifying guests when a major advertised convenience is going to be disrupted. For those who cannot modify their plans, I can certainly understand the distress. I am not at all sure what Disney can do to rectify the situation, but I really do believe that they have the means to contact guests so that in the event they need to make alternate arrangements, they can. Disney sure knew how to contact guests to remind them to make ADR"s and they know how that there was a change in timing for the HDDR, so they do have contact information to reach out when they want to.

My point is simply that no one can determine what benefits individual resorts offer to guests that if removed or reduced, will negatively impact their stay, so it is not fair to declare that the monorail problem would not ruin a vacation. That decision should have been left up to the guests, and not be left until the guest checks in.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #150
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
I am not at all sure what Disney can do to rectify the situation, but I really do believe that they have the means to contact guests so that in the event they need to make alternate arrangements, they can.
I sort of agree with you in theory, but here's my question:

Some of the posters have said that they wish Disney notified them earlier. What, exactly, could guests have done differently if they knew about this ahead of time? Disney is already accommodating guests with more buses and boats. They can still get to all the parks. What other plans could guests make?

The only thing I can figure is that some guests - like those in this thread who have several relatives with ECVs - might reschedule or cancel their reservations altogether. But even if you had a month's notice instead of a week's notice, how much could you actually change? Would you really cancel your plans to go to WDW a month out & reschedule an entirely different vacation just because monorail service is going to be spotty?

Some people in this thread will probably answer "YES!" But I would guess that the number of people for which this is true is minuscule. The number of people wanting to complain about this is large, but the amount of people who would actually change their plans is rather small.

Secondly, from Disney's perspective, catering their press releases to a very small group just so that small group can decide to NOT give Disney their money doesn't seem like a worthwhile business decision.

Lastly, it's very possible that they don't know a month ahead of time EXACTLY when work will need to be done in that specific area. Construction projects get delayed. If you announce in September that the monorail will be impacted during the second week in October, but then a few weeks later you find out that it will affect the third week in October (or even more likely, the project gets extended), you've got just as many angry people.

Even now, I have yet to see an official ending date for this construction. Yes, Disney people are probably experts in building resorts by now, but all the projects are different - they're not building tract houses here. Their main priority is undoubtedly the completion of the VGF for all those guests who have reservations for opening day.

Tags
contemporary, monorail, october

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: