Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

advice please! Poly loyal looking for new resort!

First and foremost Poly is my love and home when I am at WDW! My family will be going next Veterans Day (first time not summer!) Due to all the construction I am considering trying another resort for this trip. I am considering

1. Contemporary for proximity to MK
2. Beach Club for proximity to EPCOT/DHS
3.Any other suggestions?

We are a family of 4. Mom, Dad, DS will be 7 and DD will be 4. Ease of travel is a big plus for us!
jaz0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0308 View Post
First and foremost Poly is my love and home when I am at WDW! My family will be going next Veterans Day (first time not summer!) Due to all the construction I am considering trying another resort for this trip. I am considering

3.Any other suggestions?

We are a family of 4. Mom, Dad, DS will be 7 and DD will be 4. Ease of travel is a big plus for us!
The Poly is our favorite as well, but we have loved every resort we've stayed at. I can't comment on the CR as we've never stayed there, but if you are looking to stay on the monorail, the GF is a great resort. The grounds are beautiful, it's 1 monorail stop away from MK, rooms are large with most rooms having a daybed, and there is a new Alice in Wonderland splash pad area that your DD would probably love.

Another suggestion (if you wanted to be close to MK) would be the WL. It's not on the monorail, but it's very convenient to MK via boat. You can also take the boat to the CR where you can easily hop on the monorail and go to the Poly and GF. The WL grounds are beautiful, the pool is fun, Roaring Forks is great for quick CS meals/snacks, and the lobby is great for a few minutes of relaxing while taking in the beautiful surroundings.

We've also stayed at the BC and while we loved the resort and loved the close proximity to Epcot and DHS, we didn't have a very good experience with the buses to MK. We also need good CS options, which the Epcot area resorts don't have (at least not for us). With that said, the BC is a beautiful resort and if you will be spending a lot of time at Epcot & DHS, you can't beat the location of the BC.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0308 View Post

3.Any other suggestions?

AKL is fantastic and also gives an exotic feeling. I honestly can't tell which one I prefer between those two.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Sue M
DIS Veteran

In MK area GF is wonderful. We also enjoy BC/YC. Just stayed in August, and bus transportation is vastly improved from last stay. They now only share bus with each other (bC & YC) instead of all Epcot resorts. YC is first stop, then BC.

For us, we found plenty of CS options with Marketplace, Hurricane Hana's, Ale & Compass has great burgers, Boardwalk, and all of World Showcase.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

If your wanting the feel of a vacation within a vacation and heavily themed I would suggest either WL or AKL. I've stayed at both and find the themeing above that of all the other resorts we've stayed at(BWI,OKW, YC etc)

We had been booked for our first Poly stay this Fall but switched and headed to AKL. I just did not want to deal with the Construction and now it seems Monorail issues and pay all that $$$

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

We love CR TP view rooms It's all about watching the fireworks from our balcony. We enjoy being so close to MK.
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
The Poly is our favorite as well, but we have loved every resort we've stayed at. I can't comment on the CR as we've never stayed there, but if you are looking to stay on the monorail, the GF is a great resort. The grounds are beautiful, it's 1 monorail stop away from MK, rooms are large with most rooms having a daybed, and there is a new Alice in Wonderland splash pad area that your DD would probably love.

Another suggestion (if you wanted to be close to MK) would be the WL. It's not on the monorail, but it's very convenient to MK via boat. You can also take the boat to the CR where you can easily hop on the monorail and go to the Poly and GF. The WL grounds are beautiful, the pool is fun, Roaring Forks is great for quick CS meals/snacks, and the lobby is great for a few minutes of relaxing while taking in the beautiful surroundings.

We've also stayed at the BC and while we loved the resort and loved the close proximity to Epcot and DHS, we didn't have a very good experience with the buses to MK. We also need good CS options, which the Epcot area resorts don't have (at least not for us). With that said, the BC is a beautiful resort and if you will be spending a lot of time at Epcot & DHS, you can't beat the location of the BC.
Do you feel like you spend a lot of extra time transferring from boat to monorail for resort hopping/meals? I've had my heart set on Poly, but I'm concerned with construction and I'm thinking we'll stay at Poly with my DD for her first trip when she's 3 or 4. I just made all my ADRs this morning planning on staying at Poly so I'm very torn on whether to leave it or switch to WL!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafox18 View Post
Do you feel like you spend a lot of extra time transferring from boat to monorail for resort hopping/meals? I've had my heart set on Poly, but I'm concerned with construction and I'm thinking we'll stay at Poly with my DD for her first trip when she's 3 or 4. I just made all my ADRs this morning planning on staying at Poly so I'm very torn on whether to leave it or switch to WL!
If you are asking about time from WL to CR via boat and then to monorail for Poly and GF, we don't feel we have spent too much time doing that. I will say, though, that we are never in a hurry on vacation, so if it takes a little longer getting from place to place, we're ok with that. We also allot ourselves plenty of time when getting to ADRs. If you are worried about Poly construction, I think the WL is a great alternative. We've had 2 great stays at the WL and have never had a problem with transportation. The Poly is our favorite for many reasons, but we wouldn't hesitate to stay at the WL. This is just my opinion, but even though your ADRs were made in accordance with a Poly stay, I don't think staying at the WL would make that much of a difference.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 10-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you are asking about time from WL to CR via boat and then to monorail for Poly and GF, we don't feel we have spent too much time doing that. I will say, though, that we are never in a hurry on vacation, so if it takes a little longer getting from place to place, we're ok with that. We also allot ourselves plenty of time when getting to ADRs. If you are worried about Poly construction, I think the WL is a great alternative. We've had 2 great stays at the WL and have never had a problem with transportation. The Poly is our favorite for many reasons, but we wouldn't hesitate to stay at the WL. This is just my opinion, but even though your ADRs were made in accordance with a Poly stay, I don't think staying at the WL would make that much of a difference.
We are in no hurry on this trip. It's more about the food this trip Thanks for your thoughts! And sorry to OP for temporarily hijacking your thread!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
MCC Retired
Earning My Ears

Why not use this next stay to try a Moderate Resort ?
Experience the differences to see if the $$$ you pay for Deluxe is really what you want.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
MCC Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree with all of the above.

When it comes to a monorail resort, GF is our hands down favorite. We love everything about the resort from the rooms to the dining options to the beautiful landscaping, and find it to be very peaceful. My DD is also a huge fan of the new Alice splash pad and I must admit that I love it too. It's just exceptionally adorable.

If I'm not looking to stay on the monorail line, WL or AKL are my next top choices and round out my top three favorites list. Both offer incredible detail and I feel as if I'm vacationing within in a vacation when we stay at one of them. It's amazing how much detail has gone into both resorts and their ability to offering a feeling of being transported to someplace else. My little one is a huge animal lover and got a huge kick out of AKL. There's nothing quite like having an African Savanna in your Florida backyard.

If you're looking for ease of transport to EP and DHS, I like both BC and YC, with BC just a bit more as the rooms there just feel more airy to me. Aside from that I wouldn't pick one over the other as both resorts are beautiful and it's nice being able to just stroll over to EP for a quick snack or late dinner.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
danceteachermom
Mouseketeer

I suggest WL or VWL...gorgeous the ring. Very close to MK by boat or bus. A plus with kiddos your age is that they have a fabulous kids club. We booked the Cub's Den for just one night on an eight night stay but or DS loved it so much he asked to go again and we ended up with two nice adult meals and he had a blast. Lot's to do at WL with the lake and Fort Wilderness nearby. We thought the pool was small at first but came to love it because it was easier to supervise our youngest.

If you have never tried getting a villa...that may be fun. After having two separate rooms I am not sure if we can go back to one hotel room. It just made the whole vacation more relaxing. Disney can be so busy and so go, go, go. WL is tranquil and the villas were awesome. We got a room through Disney versus renting points more expensive for sure but we like daily mouse keeping while at Disney...plus did not have to pay for extra towels, pillows, etc.

We have never stayed at an Epcot area resort...maybe when the kids are older. I would love the short walk to eat in WS. But everything there and on the monorail seems so busy. It is nice to have a more tranquil resort after leaving the park crowds.
danceteachermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
lady_hlh
DIS Veteran

We loved BC/YC because we could walk to 2 different parks but we did find the cs options to be lacking. I also don't think I would want to chase a 4 year old around sab, it is a great pool but I would be nervous with littler kids. This year my dd chose cr and we loved walking in and out of mk all the time, especially when the park closes. Plus the room was really big which I think is the similar to the poly.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

What is your priority? Looks or convenience?

We are POLY fans as well! We tried t
he BC/YC this time and even though it was nice it was to concrete for us. We did enjoy the convenience to EP and DHS but we spend a lot of time at the pool at not only was it huge (which is not always a convenience with keeping and eye on kids or getting something from the pool bar) but it just was not Disney to us (love seeing the Castle and just more tropical at the Poly).

I c
hecked out the Boardwalk and just not interested. I have tried the Contemporary and its just to concrete. We have tried the WL and loved it, but that was awhile ago but we would try it again.

Now we
have purchased DVC and we looking forward to trying our home resort - AKL! Now that are kids are older going back to a resort that is 100% buses hopefully will not kill us (we are spoiled). But we did it before and we can do it again!

Best of luck wit
h your decision!
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafox18 View Post
We are in no hurry on this trip. It's more about the food this trip Thanks for your thoughts! And sorry to OP for temporarily hijacking your thread!
You're welcome .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: