Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #106
huntconn
"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

Why do people on these boards contantly ask others to justify spending money on something they enjoy? If the op can't figure out why deluxes cost more than moderates, there's nothing I could say to enlighten him/her. These threads are a waste of time. But here I am replying! lol
huntconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #107
MinniesYooHoo
With the cows and the chickens, they all sound like the dickens when I hear my little Minnie...YOO HOO!

We LOVE staying deluxe. As long as I am able to continue to do so, I will not return to Mods. (With that being said, I dearly love CSR.) I've never stayed Value as these resorts have not ever appealed to me. Much too garish. I have visited them and they feel too much like a Howard Johnson to me. I don't stay at motels outside of Disney so I'm certainly not going to stay at a motel inside of Disney. I, as well as other previous posters, enjoy lush and plush surroundings while on vacation. Our average trip is 10 days long every year. (It's my mental unwinding time) We do not do a park every day and enjoy lots of leisurly down time at the resort. Therefore, a beautiful and relaxing resort is the perfect fit for our family. I love having balconies, interior corridors, bigger rooms, and nicer restaurants. These things may mean absolutely nothing for other families and see the room as nothing other than a place to sleep and shower. And that's fine. We see the resort as another destination to enjoy. For these reasons, it is well worth the extra expense.

I've been Boo'd!!!
Me DH DD(9) Granny: G-Daddy: Charlotte Mr. Tanner(The closest we could get to a hamster!)

Last edited by MinniesYooHoo; 10-09-2013 at 02:05 PM.
MinniesYooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #108
Ladcassidy
Mouseketeer

Location, location, location.
Ladcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #109
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

understand - own DVC now if I did not - then would be staying at Pop Century - since got DVC - staying at BLT and being able sometimes to see the MK from my room!!!

really love BLT!

now use the kitchenette - so that saves on food costs. there is a free laundry mat for DVC members - you have to bring your key card - not sure how it works with magic bands?
the videos and games in the community hall are free to members - so are some of the activities.

so despite going alot use to go 7 now trying to go twice a year - can actually save money compared to the WDW hotels.

Now I still stay in a studio - there were some ex-members who decided they could go with a 2-bedroom when before they stayed in the value resorts. it did not take them long to get in financially trouble. If you don't use all your points you can always rent the points and thereby use the money for your Disney trips.

if you are cheap then you might consider buying DVC - not direct those prices are way too high - but SSR on the resale market was a good buy - sometimes AKV and OKW also show up with good prices.

paid way to much for BLT - sold OKW for it - but for me it is worth it - getting older and waited 15 years for a monorail DVC resort - now they are also doing GF and Polyn.....

Last edited by spiceycat; 10-09-2013 at 03:02 PM.
spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #110
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

I know other people have mentioned renting DVC points. That's where I flip the OP's question on its head - why pay MORE for a moderate resort when I can pay LESS for a deluxe resort by renting points?

Sure, renting points doesn't have the flexibility that a regular cash reservation does, and that's probably a dealbreaker for a lot of people. So, as others have said, "to each their own".
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #111
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
I know other people have mentioned renting DVC points. That's where I flip the OP's question on its head - why pay MORE for a moderate resort when I can pay LESS for a deluxe resort by renting points?

Sure, renting points doesn't have the flexibility that a regular cash reservation does, and that's probably a dealbreaker for a lot of people. So, as others have said, "to each their own".
For me, it never turns out to be less.

We're a family of 5, and the only boy is adult sized. So, in most of the DVC resorts, that means a 2 bedroom.

I simply cannot work the numbers so it turns out to be less than a single room at a Deluxe.

If there's something I'm missing, please fill me in.. I would LOVE to try DVC!!

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #112
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post

We're a family of 5, and the only boy is adult sized. So, in most of the DVC resorts, that means a 2 bedroom.

I simply cannot work the numbers so it turns out to be less than a single room at a Deluxe.

Adult sized boy can fit in the sleeper chairs in 1BR's. But keep in mind a 1BR is incredibly better than a simple hotel room, full kitchens, king masters with whirlpools, washer dryers etc. Doesn't mean you need it but worth looking into.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #113
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

I don't think the OP meant to offend anyone with her question. She did not understand why people are making that choice and she was curious... and she exposed precisely her point of view on each criteria to explain why she did not see it the way way some other people do...

To each their own... But it's a forum not the police. If you don't feel like sharing your reasons/point of view, nobody forces you to do it.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #114
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntconn View Post
Why do people on these boards contantly ask others to justify spending money on something they enjoy? If the op can't figure out why deluxes cost more than moderates, there's nothing I could say to enlighten him/her. These threads are a waste of time. But here I am replying! lol
+1!

I'm even worse as this marks the second time I've posted on this thread. I've never understood why people question others on this topic either. I work incredibly hard in order to visit WDW (at least) biannually; sometimes I even throw in a third or a couple of long weekends.

I like luxury. I like space. I love convenience. The deluxe resorts provide all of that plus much more. Onsite dining options that aren't QS are fantastic to have as I'm a sucker for indoor hallways. If I wasn't able to afford deluxe, and more often than not club level, I wouldn't book a room in a deluxe resort.

Like the next person, I too like to save money, but when I'm on vacation I want comfort. Deluxe resorts provide that for me.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #115
Judyfun
Mouseketeer

While I have never stayed at Value resorts, I have stayed at Moderates. But my love is Deluxe. Last fall we had Pixie dust tossed on us and our Boardwalk Inn roon was upgraded to a Deluxe CL Boardwalk view. Now I was CL level every visit.

Judy
BW CL 11/12
Cont 12/12
AKL 3/13
BC CL 5/13
BW CL 10/13
AKL CL 11/13
Dolphin 12/13
Judyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #116
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post

Just to clarify - the 5 of you are generally in 1 room at a Value or Moderate resort? In looking at Disney's site, most of the rooms say they'll sleep "up to 4". I could't get Disney's site to let me book 5 people into a room.

If certain resorts let you sleep 5 to a normal room, that might be hard to compare to a Studio in a Deluxe. AFAIK, most Value/Moderate resorts have two double beds or two queens, whereas a studio has a queen and a fold out couch. I'm not sure about that 5th person.

In general, though, an apples-to-apples comparison is difficult, because a lot of it can depend on the time of year, the resort you choose, where you rent points from, the deals Disney is offering, etc.

Having said that, I just did a price check for a week-long reservation (one room, double occupancy) next June. In the value category, Disney's website quotes me $155 per night for All-Star, $165 for Pop Century, and $176 for Art of Animation. All the moderate resorts cost $220 per night.

By contrast, assuming you're renting points at $14/point (the going rate on most sites), a week in the cheapest studio at Animal Kingdom would be $190 / night.

So, for a room that sleeps 4, renting the cheapest DVC studio room falls somewhere in price between a Value and a Moderate resort. The more expensive DVC studios are a little more than a moderate - for example, a standard studio at BLT would run $278 per night, or $58/night more than a moderate. Is it worth about $50 per day to have better pools, better restaurants, a monorail to Epcot, and a walk to MK? Or, a studio at Boardwalk Villas (standard view) runs $218 per night - $2 less than a Moderate, and you get the clown pool, a fun boardwalk atmosphere, a boat to DHS, and short walk into Epcot.

If you're comparing 2 Value / Moderate rooms vs the equivalent DVC accomodations, a 1 bedroom could very well work for your family. As Jade1 said, many of the resorts have a sleeper chair, and can sleep 5. Some resorts only sleep 4 and have one bathroom, but some sleep up to 5 with two bathrooms - plus, as was mentioned, you also get a kitchen, dining room, laundry facilities, etc.

If you don't need the kitchen but would like to stay somewhere fancy, the new studios at the Grand Floridian sleep 5 (there's a foldout couch under the TV, although I don't know how big it is). These studios also have two bathrooms. Again, they're not going to be cheaper than 1 Value or Moderate room, but if you normally get 2 value rooms @ $155 / night, that's $310 for two rooms. A studio at the VGF will run $340 per night, so it's pretty close. Of course, you're all in one room then, but as I said you get the 2 bathrooms, and a studio is more spacious than a value room (at 374 square feet vs 260 for the value rooms).
Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #117
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
Is it worth about $50 per day to have better pools, better restaurants, a monorail to Epcot, and a walk to MK? Or, a studio at Boardwalk Villas (standard view) runs $218 per night - $2 less than a Moderate, and you get the clown pool, a fun boardwalk atmosphere, a boat to DHS, and short walk into Epcot.
Whats SO FRICKEN hilarious, is that over here you are including the Monorail as something you get for the money you pay for a monorail resort, and then over on the other thread you are defending Disney ... saying that the Monorail isn't something included in the price you pay, so Disney doesn't owe people anything ... Or that Disney doesn't guarantee the monorail or include it as an amenity of the resorts ...

Old 10-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #118
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
Whats SO FRICKEN hilarious, is that over here you are including the Monorail as something you get for the money you pay for a monorail resort, and then over on the other thread you are defending Disney ... saying that the Monorail isn't something included in the price you pay, so Disney doesn't owe people anything ... Or that Disney doesn't guarantee the monorail or include it as an amenity of the resorts ...
My two statements are not contradictory. The word I boldfaced in your quote is crucial to understanding the difference.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #119
medicgirl177
Mouseketeer

The first time I walked into our Deluxe room, I said to DH "So this is where Disney keeps all the light!!". There was nothing better than pulling back the floor length curtains on the balcony door for morning sunshine, or opening the balcony door to get fresh evening air. We watched Epcots fireworks (mostly) from our balcony at the Beach Club.

As for the indoor corridors, the humidity doesn't seep through like it did when it was just an outer door (like value & mod). I always felt as though the room was damp. And we can go anywhere, to several eateries and a gift shop, all without going outside (an advantage during those mid-afternoon thunderstorms).

Valet service. We walked off the elevator to the outer desk, say where we need to go and they miraculously make it happen. They open the door and in you go. When you are running late for an ADR, there's nothing better.

And last but not least, here is where the hate mail will start, Value to me feels like I'm staying at a McDonalds. It's bargain basement, it's loud, it's food court style, it's just not my thing. We have two kids and when DH says enough he says it once. My kids can sit through dinner at the Yachtsman sans disruption of other patrons. It was not our experience at the Value.....

medicgirl177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #120
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

just enough room space so we can create that sweet ,sweet
home feeling.

we own @ blt where we brought 3 contacts for our 3 kids. we
know what dvc was supposed to be...and there are too many
that brought @ ssr that never stayed there. time & time again
i have read their owners saying they never want to stay there.
dvc need some tweaking with ssr ...but in trying to figure this
reasoning out, there seem to been one main reason, repeated
over & over..."too far" out. so i think location, location, location
...is a real cost factor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: