Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #76
Katelly
Mouseketeer

My dh, dd and I have stayed Deluxe, Mod and Value, but my mom and dad (who are in their late seventies) always stay deluxe. They don't even switch it up.....they always stay at the Beach Club! Funny thing is, they don't use Stormalong Bay at all, nor do they dine at Cape May. They rarely take the ferry from BC to DHS.

What they love about BC is the location. They like walking to the Boardwalk, World Showcase, and the Swan and Dolphin. They love all the dining choices nearby, without having to get on a Disney bus. They enjoy sitting out on their BC balcony with a glass of wine before dinner, taking in the view. So, for them, it's always deluxe....always the BC lol.

My family likes checking out the different resorts. I think you get a new experience each time. I'm really looking forward to our stay at POR. For the trip after that, we'll probably do a split stay, CSR and GF. I like the theming at CSR and as far as GF, I'd like to experience a stay at a monorail resort and that's the only one that appeals to me.

I think every level of WDW resort, regardless of category, has something special to offer.

Beach Club: December of 1991,1994,1997,1999 and 2002
Caribbean Beach: December 2004,February 2006
Pop Century: February 2006
POR: December 2013
POFQ: April 2014
Katelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #77
kathy884
DIS Veteran

Not to be rude or anything, but to me the question "Why spend $$$ on a deluxe?" is to me similar to "Why go on vacation, when you can have a great time at home with your family and save so much money?"

Vacations are frivolous and fun, a real treat and a real luxury that believe it or not many people cannot afford and never go on. // The fun part is having a budget / money to spend and deciding how to spend it. And that is going to vary so much person by person based on dollars to start with and values/priority differences each family has as big factors in each individual family's decisions.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #78
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy884 View Post
Not to be rude or anything, but to me the question "Why spend $$$ on a deluxe?" is to me similar to "Why go on vacation, when you can have a great time at home with your family and save so much money?"

Vacations are frivolous and fun, a real treat and a real luxury that believe it or not many people cannot afford and never go on. // The fun part is having a budget / money to spend and deciding how to spend it. And that is going to vary so much person by person based on dollars to start with and values/priority differences each family has as big factors in each individual family's decisions.
I couldn't have said it any better. We, as a society, often forget that the sheer fact we're even able to take a vacation is a gift.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #79
smiths02
DIS Veteran

OP didn't mention balconies/patios. Those are a huge plus with a larger family as is interior hallways. This gives adults (or at least one adult) the ability to go do something without being too far away or fighting the elements.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #80
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

A different opinion

I didn't read through ALL the replies to your question, but read enough. Seems that the people that stay in Deluxe really LOVE it. I probably would too, but just can't justify that amount of money on a room either.

We are retired military and use the military discount often. By January we will have tried every value hotel and every moderate. So far, I haven't found a moderate that I like. Can't justify the extra $$$ at all. Values are beds and bathrooms - all we need. We don't stay at the resort and we don't go to the pool. We live in FL and have a pool so we really don't go on vacation to go swimming. Loved AoA and after the next 2 trips, I imagine we won't stay anywhere else. (We are a family of 6 and have to either get a suite or 2 rooms.)

That being said, if someone else is paying, I would LOVE to stay at a monorail resort.

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
MacClemsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #81
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
OP didn't mention balconies/patios. Those are a huge plus with a larger family as is interior hallways. This gives adults (or at least one adult) the ability to go do something without being too far away or fighting the elements.
Great point. We LOVE being able to sleep with the balcony doors wide open (2nd floor or higher that is).

We either stay Deluxe or Value. Honest. Never stayed at a mod. yet. Not against it, just haven't tried it yet.
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #82
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy884 View Post

Well said!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #83
KaLyn
DIS Veteran

I upgrade basically because of promotions or for the chance of getting one.

Here's our thinking...
Why would I spend $1,000 for a week when you can get something better for $950?
Or why spend $800 a week for "meh" when I can spend an extra $250 for the "ahhh"? (that's a relaxing ahhh by the way, don't confuse it with a scream)
Or why spend $1,100 for lower quality when you can spend $1,100 for something higher in quality?

Those scenarios show examples of how our next trip could possibly work out. Now I upgraded from value to moderate but I'm sure the same applies for those going from moderate to deluxe. We were comfortable with the value price point, but we can handle the moderate (especially when factoring in the chance of a promotion or discount) so I assume there are people who are comfortable with the moderate but can handle the deluxe.

Some are happy in a value, some are happy in a deluxe. Me? I'm going to be thrilled in a moderate!

To each their own!

Sent from my iPad using the DISBoards app.

Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #84
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Location: NJ but born and bred in NYC....still teach there, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
I know I'm entering delicate territory here, but when I look at the prices of the different resorts, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would pay $300-$500 or more a night for some resorts! I'll preface by saying that I'm a budget-conscious mom---or you may even say cheap. I shop sales and discounts, cut coupons, and watch what I spend. That being said, we have been to Disney four times in seven years, so we're not against spending money on vacations! We've always stayed at a Value resort until the last time when we stayed at POFQ and loved it! We'll go back there in a heartbeat. So I spend less than $200 at POFQ for a lovely room, great service, fun pool, beautiful grounds, etc. Or I could spend $400 and stay at a Deluxe. Why???? Some of the arguments I've heard are.... Indoor corridors -- does that really matter? Better transportation -- never had an issue with buses at any of the resorts we've stayed. And we've never had a car. Nicer rooms -- thought POFQ room was lovely! Closer proximity to MK -- when we go we visit all the parks, so don't care if we're closer to one. Again, never an issue with transportation. Beautiful lobby/grounds/views/etc. -- Can get all that just by visiting! I guess if we were going to spend our whole vacation hanging out at the resort, we might be more worried about it. But we're there to visit the parks! Yes, we'll take breaks, swim in the pool, eat in the food court. But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go. Unless money really were no object at all--which I can't imagine is the case for the vast majority of families--I can't justify spending the ridiculous amounts of money on the resorts. For that price, they should be throwing in breakfast (and lunch and dinner!) and providing me a private driver to get me where I want to go! Not to mention laundry services and a turn-down each night! So let me hear it! How do you justify spending that kind of money on a room? Do you spend all your time there? Is it just to say "been there, done that'? Is the difference really worth twice the cost? I'm honestly curious about this...
I never really thought of this before until you brought it up - people wonder why people stay in a Deluxe. I guess we wonder why people would stay in a Value? We always stay in a Deluxe. The amenities are much nicer and hopefully we are getting better service, too. Would you ever consider staying in a Deluxe?
Daycogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #85
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

I used to wonder why people stayed in the Deluxes too until I tried one. Now I'll never go back. We used to spend most of our time in the parks but one trip we booked the Wilderness Lodge. Wow, who cares about the parks! LOL We loved the pool, the things to do and see at the resort. We didn't even want to be at the parks. Since then we only stay deluxe with the Poly being our favorite. We do go to a park every day for maybe 5-6 hours if that but thats it. We are either in the pool most day time and head to the parks after lunch or closer to dinner.
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #86
Annadesu
Splash Mountain Addict

I'm with you, OP... I would never drop 300+ a night on a hotel room. You're there to sleep, and maybe an hour or so scattered throughout the day. But to each their own.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #87
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annadesu View Post
I'm with you, OP... I would never drop 300+ a night on a hotel room. You're there to sleep, and maybe an hour or so scattered throughout the day. But to each their own.
Maybe you are there to sleep and spend an hour or so a day there but many spend a lot more time. We wake up, go have a nice breakfast right at the resort in a nice restaurant. We then go and get ready for the pool. Head to the pool and spend maybe 4 hours there. Go and grab some lunch again at the resort then go to the room and get ready for dinner and park time. We usually head out at 4 or so going to dinner somewhere nice then head to the parks. The resort is a major part of our vacation.
I love what the deluxes offer. Better places to eat, full room service, lush landscaped grounds and great theming, awesome views of the MK ( nothing beats sitting in the pool and watching the MK fireworks) larger rooms, balconies, inside hallways, monorail and boats to MK.

Now if I were staying at a value or mod, I'd want to spend most of our time at the parks because those really don't offer much except for a bed to sleep in and a hot shower.
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #88
Leighbra
Luckier than she deserves

Once I started getting put up in nicer ($350-700 a night!) hotel rooms for work or from sweepstakes wins, I realized what I was missing out on.

I was totally happy in my Best Western/La Quinta rooms.

I guess I just didn't know. I definitely see how people get used to it.

NOW I know what I'm missing & still can't afford/justify staying in a $400/night room. haha That's the worst of both worlds.
Leighbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #89
FairestOfThemAll37
Mouseketeer

Why stay in deluxe resorts?

Bedding, bedding, bedding, and oh did I mention the bedding?

I admit I'm a bit of a hotel snob, but more I'm very particular about beds and bedding. The bedding in the deluxe resorts is so so so much better than at the mods (never stayed at the values). I spend a fair amount of time at the resorts but even for "just a place to sleep" I like to sleep well on vacation.

The mattresses are better IMO but beyond that, the nice duvet/comforter at the deluxe resorts is far more pleasant to sleep under than the tan microfiber motel blanket at the mods. The improved bedding alone is worth it to me.

Totally personal preference
FairestOfThemAll37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #90
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Why spend $$$ on a deluxe??

Location and ease of transportation to theme parks (walking distance) plus larger rooms to accommodate everyone (2 queens + daybed).
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: