Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #31
Donna3271
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
It came up in conversation, started by my DH and it just came up.

They used to receive a salary and no tips, but then passengers kept asking about how much tips so DCL made the decision to make it a tipped position. There is no base.

And I agree, for what DCL charges they should be a paid position and tips a bonus for those that feel they went above and beyond.
Thanks Joisey for clarifying. We did have a server one time that kept COMPLAINING about Disney.... it was really disheartening. Just really unprofessional on her part. We gave her just the recommended tip, no extra.
Donna3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #32
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna3271 View Post
Thanks Joisey for clarifying. We did have a server one time that kept COMPLAINING about Disney.... it was really disheartening. Just really unprofessional on her part. We gave her just the recommended tip, no extra.
All three concierge ladies were very very professional, helpful and nice. DH spent lots of his time in the lounge and had many many conversations. DH brought it up in some way, it was not a vent from the ladies at all. They all love their jobs even with the pay this way. I mean they have all been there many years and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #33
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
IMHO they are either idiots or have no real need to work then. Who in their right mind takes a job with no guarantee of pay?

Geez...you are nice aren't you .

You do realize that all the tip positions, servers, head servers and room hosts get a very very tiny base salary, that their main income is from tips? So are all these staff idiots??
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #34
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post

Geez...you are nice aren't you .

You do realize that all the tip positions, servers, head servers and room hosts get a very very tiny base salary, that their main income is from tips? So are all these staff idiots??
If I were from Haiti, had a family at home I wanted to care for, and I went to work for a cruise line where they made passengers tip them, I wouldn't be unintelligent.

If I were from England or Australia and took a position where NO tips were guaranteed at all, abd where no salary were given, that's not the same situation. And I would, and do, question that decision.

Frankly I don't believe it for one second. And I don't trust a cm's words that does get into such a conversation.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #35
saltlifesav
Disneyholic

We were on a 4 nt on the Dream in Sept and were clueless what to tip our concierge team. They were all exceptionally nice and remembered our names. I appreciated that. We ended up giving them each $100. Now I'm wondering if that was low...
saltlifesav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #36
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
If I were from Haiti, had a family at home I wanted to care for, and I went to work for a cruise line where they made passengers tip them, I wouldn't be unintelligent. If I were from England or Australia and took a position where NO tips were guaranteed at all, abd where no salary were given, that's not the same situation. And I would, and do, question that decision. Frankly I don't believe it for one second. And I don't trust a cm's words that does get into such a conversation.
Bingo!

I think the difference may be in different interpretations of "salary".

In Disney- speak, "salaried position" means a fixed amount of pay with an expectation of x number of hours worked. Things such as management, cruise director, etc. Positions not "salaried" are considered hourly and receive a certain amount per hour worked. For tipped positions, yes , that amount is generally smaller with the difference expected to be made up in tips. Other hourly positions have a set rate per hour, but in Disney-speak are not called salaried positions.

I suspect, given that the wording I've seen people give on here is along the lines of "I was told that concierge is not a salaried position", that they fall into the tipped hourly position. Just my suspicion, but it makes more sense than every bit of their income being solely whatever tips they may or may not receive.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #37
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

We meet with the concierge staff upon embarkation to review dinner reservations, confirm our table for two, confirm our cabana (which is probably the most work they've done for us). Maybe we sign up for a tasting. That is the extent of our neediness, if you will. For that, I could fathom a 100$ tip per day, if I were independently wealthy and wanted to share the love. I enjoy each of the concierge team members. But in all our cruises, it has always been our cabin steward who does the most for us and goes really above and beyond. Cabin stewards have a recommended tip of 4$ pppd. So for the two of us, that's 8$ day. We double that since our room is larger and has an extra bathroom. The concierge team is warm and friendly, and we think highly of them. But given the comparison to the room steward who is scrubbing my toilets and sometimes folds a night dress I've tucked under my pillow, doesn't lead me to tip concierge more than my room host. With the recommended rate for room steward being 8$ a day, we figure 10$ a day for the concierge host for x number of days and then round up. For example, 4-night cruise = 4 * 10$ = 40, round up to 50. 7-night cruise = 7* 10$ = 70$, round up to 100$. Whereas our cabin steward would get 16$ * 7 nights would get 112$, round up to 125$. And yes, we tip the bartenders and food people in the lounge, as we go. Coupla bucks here and there, then a twenty at the end of the cruise with a nice note they can share with their supervisors.

My logic may baffle some, but it doesn't matter if it does. Ultimately its everyone's private decision to make and live with. My logic may leave you thinking that I drink from a cup of the crazy. That doesn't matter. What matters is that I've come to my own logical (in my head anyway) process at how to arrive at a, fair tip. Tipping is always a personal decision. Just make a decision you can live with. That's all.

Last edited by AlexandNessa; 10-08-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: holy typos!
AlexandNessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #38
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post
We meet with the concierge staff upon embarkation to review dinner reservations, confirm our table for two, confirm our cabana (which is probably the most work they've done for us). Maybe we sign up for a tasting. That is the extent of our neediness, if you will. For that, I could fathom a 100$ tip per day, if I were independently wealthy and wanted to share the love. I enjoy each of the concierge team members. But in all our cruises, it had always been our cabin steward who does the most for us and goes really above and beyond. Cabin stewards have a recommended tip of 4$ pppd. So for the two of us, that's 8$ day. We double that since our room is larger and has an extra bathroom. The concierge team is warm and friendly, and we think highly of them. But given the comparison to the room steward who is scrubbing my toilets and sometimes fills a night dress I've tucked under my pillow, doesn't lead me to tip concierge more than my room host. With the recommended rate for room steward being 8$ a day, we figure 10 wealthy $ a day for x number of days and then round up. For example, 4-night cruise = 4 * 10$ = 40, round up to 50. 7-night cruise = 7* 10$ = 70$, round up to 100$. Whereas our cabin steward would get 16$ * 7 nights would get 112$, round up to 125$. And yes, we tip the bartenders and food people in the lounge, as we go. Coupla bucks here and there, then a, twenty at the end of the cruise with a nice nite they can share with their supervisors.

My logic may baffle some, but it doesn't matter if it does. Ultimately its everyone's private decision to make and live with. My logic may be leave you thinking that I drink from a cup of the crazy. That doesn't matter. What matters is that I've come to my own logical (in my head anyway) process at how to arrive at a, fair tip. Tipping is always a personal decision. Just make a decision you can live with. That's all.
I agree that the extent to which you use/benefit from each person's services should factor into the decision of how much to tip. So should your individual comfort level. You also bring up a good point re: the stateroom hosts. Ours was fantastic, and we ended up tipping him $60 for our 4-night cruise (the recommended amount for DH and me was $32). Also, I could be wrong, but I think concierge stateroom hosts are assigned fewer rooms than non-concierge hosts. We factored that into our tip as well.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #39
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
I agree that the extent to which you use/benefit from each person's services should factor into the decision of how much to tip. So should your individual comfort level. You also bring up a good point re: the stateroom hosts. Ours was fantastic, and we ended up tipping him $60 for our 4-night cruise (the recommended amount for DH and me was $32). Also, I could be wrong, but I think concierge stateroom hosts are assigned fewer rooms than non-concierge hosts. We factored that into our tip as well.
Good point with the stateroom hosts. In July, we had one who was our assigned host, but he seemed to work with another host all the time, and until the tip sheet came to us, we didn't realize that we only had one. We assumed that the second probably had the starboard rooms, but we felt from what we'd seen that he'd done just as much as our assigned host, so we opted to give him in cash what our host was getting from us.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #40
frugalwitch
Mouseketeer

For 3 of us on a 3 day Dream cruise we tipped $150. Ashley, Wensdae, and Andy were above and beyond. I believe they each work 14 hours a day on average. In any event, they were angels to my disabled Momma, if I had a larger budget I would have tipped more.
frugalwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #41
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
DH and I sailed concierge last month on the Dream (4-night itinerary). What we ended up doing was looking at what DCL recommends for the other tipped positions on the ship and then arriving at an amount based on how much we used each person's services. Tips for the concierge hosts are divided evenly among the three-person team. DH and I decided on $15/person/day, or $120 total. We were regulars at the early cocktail reception and typically had two drinks apiece. We tipped the bartender $40 (cash). We stopped in the lounge at least twice per day for snacks, coffee, and bottled water, so we tipped the woman who was in charge of food and beverages $20 (also cash). We asked for two extra tip envelopes in the concierge lounge and used them for the bartender and the woman who took care of the food. We just crossed out "Server" and wrote the names of the people we were tipping.
I agree with you 100%. We tipped the bartender on the very first day during our meet and greet with concierge. We were taken good care of the entire cruise. I also think most people don't think of tipping the beverage/snack people. I also did this at the beginning and more during the cruise. I received from Bosco (India) on the Fantasy a huge fresh premium fruit plate and also a plate of desserts in my room every day. My friends in other concierge rooms did not get anything other than the 1st day fruit basket. Now I could have gone to the lounge to get some of these items but some of the fruits/desserts were not available in the lounge. So I feel I was treated extra special. Bosco even said when he Skyped his wife he told them about the nicest couple he had. Heck I thought he was very nice and would have loved to take him home with me.

I didn't use the concierge hosts that much, but they were able to cancel some tastings & reservations for me the day of without any hassle. Also I put in a special request that I really didn't think could be handled--but they did handle it. I was overly impressed and tipped accordingly. AND I was also told by Kamesha that they do not receive a salary--they work strictly for tips and all tips are split amongst them.

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #42
jayteadunn
Earning My Ears

Not per day. For the whole week. We and others did between $75 and $100 per staff member for the whole week.
jayteadunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #43
CT Yankee
Earning My Ears

Concierge tipping

also think most people don't think of tipping the beverage/snack people. I also did this at the beginning and more during the cruise

This is a good idea - now when exactly do you give the tip to the beverage/snack people if you are going to tip them during the cruise? Do you give a tip each time you go to the lounge? Do you hand them a tip when you are leaving? Do you give a tip to the concierge host if he/she brings a snack to your room? We are doing our very first cruise ever in August and so this is all new to me.
CT Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #44
phinz
12 Volt Man

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and Southeast of Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Yankee View Post
also think most people don't think of tipping the beverage/snack people. I also did this at the beginning and more during the cruise

This is a good idea - now when exactly do you give the tip to the beverage/snack people if you are going to tip them during the cruise? Do you give a tip each time you go to the lounge? Do you hand them a tip when you are leaving? Do you give a tip to the concierge host if he/she brings a snack to your room? We are doing our very first cruise ever in August and so this is all new to me.
I would be interested in knowing this since it wasn't answered. How do you tip? Out in the open? In an envelope? Shake hands and pass the tip on that way? Is there a tip jar? The whole thing is confusing.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #45
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

We gave initial tips to the food/beverage team as we were in the concierge lounge meeting with the concierge hosts for the first time. But as we met new staff on the other days we tipped them as we met them. The "bartender" we tipped when she brought over the 1st drinks. We tipped her $40 for a 7 day cruise, but ended up giving her more over the duration of the cruise. The food person we tipped the first day as well as the last day based on what they did for us. Bosco from India had a fresh fruit/dessert plate in my room everyday! Talked to my neighbors, they got nothing. So they do appreciate the recognition. We ended up tipping the food staff between $30-$50 each for the 7 day.

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: