Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
cinderellanprince
Mouseketeer

TTD in Houston after you disembark

Any suggestions for what to do/people have done after you disembark? We have a night flight out of Houston and looking for something to do with a family of a wide range of ages-- 6 to 91!
cinderellanprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
scrapshappen
Mouseketeer

We just got back last night from five extra days in Houston after our trip on the Wonder last week. Something you might all enjoy is the Space Center Houston which is kind of between Galveston and the airport anyway. My kids liked it but the adults enjoyed it more.

My children's favorite thing we did while we were there was the Children's Museum. We have been to a few of these around the country and Houston's was by far the best. But that might not interest everyone in your group as much as the Space Center.
scrapshappen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
phinz
12 Volt Man

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and Southeast of Disorder

If you're flying out of IAH, be aware that it is pretty much on the far side of the city relative to Galveston and traffic can be *horrendous* at any time of day or night in Houston. Make sure, if you go to Johnson Space Center, that you can get to the airport in time. That said, I grew up going to JSC at least a dozen times a year and it was always a treat for me. I can only imagine how wonderful it is now that they've made it a genuine tourism destination.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
cinderellanprince
Mouseketeer

thanks so much--that was actually on my list of things i was considering, but was not sure everyone of all ages would enjoy it.
cinderellanprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
scrapshappen
Mouseketeer

My brother and his family (from the Houston area) met us at the Space Center so we had 6 kids with us: 18 months, 3, 6, 8, 9 & 10. Right now, there is an Angry Bird's exhibit that the kids really enjoyed and they probably could have spent all day playing there. There is also a Leonardo DiVinci exhibit there that my 10 year old loved. The kids did get a little restless going out on the tour, but that was the adults favorite part.

And I will seconded that traffic in Houston is a nightmare. Pretty comparable to LA. It will take you twice as long to get anywhere so plan accordingly. We were a little later than we wanted to be to the airport and although everything turned out OK, it was a little hairy there for a few minutes.
scrapshappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
phinz
12 Volt Man

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and Southeast of Disorder

As an aside, if you can fly out of Houston Hobby Airport instead of IAH you will be on the correct side of town relative to JSC.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
ocspartan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapshappen View Post
My brother and his family (from the Houston area) met us at the Space Center so we had 6 kids with us: 18 months, 3, 6, 8, 9 & 10. Right now, there is an Angry Bird's exhibit that the kids really enjoyed and they probably could have spent all day playing there. There is also a Leonardo DiVinci exhibit there that my 10 year old loved. The kids did get a little restless going out on the tour, but that was the adults favorite part.

And I will seconded that traffic in Houston is a nightmare. Pretty comparable to LA. It will take you twice as long to get anywhere so plan accordingly. We were a little later than we wanted to be to the airport and although everything turned out OK, it was a little hairy there for a few minutes.
Having lived in la and Houston can safely say Houston's is way worse. Also if flying from iah leave enough time to drop the rental car as the facility is not connected to the terminal buildings and requires a bus transfer

The children's museum is nice
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
JohnsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Moody Gardens on Galveston is very nice!

DH39 Me34 Sebastian1 Daisy Aurora Willow AGD
Disney Cruise on the Wonder: Christmas 2009 & Dec 2013
Trips to Parks: Too many to count!
JohnsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: