Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

What do I need actual cash for?

Okay, I have a few questions about tipping so I can work out how much actual cash I need.

1. When tipping room service, do I need cash or can I sign off on the tip? I've read conflicting stuff. I don't want to carry a big wad of dollar bills, but I don't want to stiff anyone a tip either.

2. Does Nassau accept American money or do we need to exchange? I assume we need cash for there.

3. What about Palo? When you tip, can you sign off on the KTTW card or do I need cash?

4. Anything else I need actual cash for besides porters?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
SigalTchelet
Mouseketeer

Room service.

Siggy aka Jill
Siggy's Fantastic Fantasy PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3081866
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort 1994
Disneyland: Many times in my childhood, October 1976, March 1977, June 16, 1977 (Grad Night), severasl times in the 80's, August 1991, October 3, 2009 (50th Birthday), May 2010, October 2010, February 2011, May 2011, October 2011

SigalTchelet is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigalTchelet
Room service.
You don't need cash for a room service tip. You can just add it to the receipt they have you sign and will be attached to your on board account. I only use cash for the porters at the terminal. As far as Nassau, we use a credit card . Dont use a debit card attached to your bank account there because it's difficult getting it straightened out if you get unauthorized charges which has happenened in Nassau all too frequently. They gladly accept US dollars in the Bahamas.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
dawn8179
Mouseketeer

When you order room service ask them to send a slip to sign. They don't always send it.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We did not bring enough cash on either of our cruises this yr. How does the saying go? Bring half the clothes you think you need and twice as much cash. ? This is correct.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Room service - conflicting answers are both correct!

If you order something from room service that is free, then often (but not always) there will not be a slip to sign. OTOH, if you order something that there is a charge for (cans of soda for example) there will be a slip to sign. So, if your room service order comes with a slip you can easily put a tip on there rather than needing cash.

Our experience is that we almost never order something that there is a charge for. We bring along a bunch of $1 bills and tip the server with a couple of them when the food arrives.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Okay, I have a few questions about tipping so I can work out how much actual cash I need.

1. When tipping room service, do I need cash or can I sign off on the tip? I've read conflicting stuff. I don't want to carry a big wad of dollar bills, but I don't want to stiff anyone a tip either. Yes, you can add the tip to the slip, but sometimes you need to ask for the slip.

2. Does Nassau accept American money or do we need to exchange? I assume we need cash for there.

3. What about Palo? When you tip, can you sign off on the KTTW card or do I need cash? You may add the tip to the slip you sign, or pay cash, either way.

4. Anything else I need actual cash for besides porters?Tips for excursion guides/drivers

Here's a recent thread with some information:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ght=extra+cash

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Most places in Nassau should accept American Money but will likely give you change in local currency.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: