Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
epadisney
Earning My Ears

Grand Floridian on a Budget?

Hi everyone!

My family has gone to Disney several times, and I'm hopefully planning another trip for spring 2015. (I know, planning way ahead ) This time we have our hearts set on staying at the Grand Floridian. The catch is that we have 4 children, who will be 12, 10, 7, and 3 at trip time. So we have to have 2 rooms Anyone know what is the most affordable way to do the GF? Thankfully we have a long time to save
epadisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

you might try the new GFV - in a 2-bedroom - even renting from an owner this will not be cheap.

you might try renting at BLT - a 2-bedroom standard view - but again this will not be cheap.

now compared to Disney prices - they are much more reasonable.

the studios/hotels can only have 4/5 per room. the 2-bedroom has 9 (in blt and gfv)

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Siriusblack
Mouseketeer

Do you have anything you can sell?
Siriusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusblack View Post
Do you have anything you can sell?

. . . like the rights to your first-born?
. . . or, your car title?
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
epadisney
Earning My Ears

Ha! You're not kidding!!! Ugg...so expensive.

When you say GFV, do you mean vacation club?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
jaykorf001
Mouseketeer

OP, I laughed when I read the title to this thread. And then again at a couple of the responses. Good luck to you. I agree with a PP -- try renting points for a villa. It'll still be pricey but I suspect cheaper than two rooms?? Not sure.
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by epadisney View Post
Ha! You're not kidding!!! Ugg...so expensive.

When you say GFV, do you mean vacation club?
Yes, the pp is referring to the new GF DVC that is officially opening later this month. The GF is pretty pricey, but it could still be affordable with discounts and going with the cheapest room category, which is garden view. Also, I would probably try to go after Easter as spring (March/April) is peak season (second highest pricing after holiday rates) and even with a good room discount, rack rates are so high that it could still be out of your budget (depending on what your budget is). I wouldn't give up hope yet as you have a year and a half to plan/save. I would go online and price out what it would cost in 2014 as that would give you an idea of whether or not you could make it work or if it's way out of budget where you would have to consider a different resort. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
epadisney
Earning My Ears

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how do you book vacation club rental? Where do you go to rent points?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
epadisney
Earning My Ears

I think that the post above is our most likely scenario: book 2 garden view rooms when Disney is running a good discount. What is the best I could hope for? 35%?
Old 10-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think that the post above is our most likely scenario: book 2 garden view rooms when Disney is running a good discount. What is the best I could hope for? 35%?
Yes, 35% would most likely be the best possible for a general public discount. General public discounts used to be as high as 40%, but I think those are long gone. There is a discount that is coming out on Tuesday (10/8) for stays January-April 2014 with the deluxe resorts (supposedly) having a 35% discount. This, of course, is subject to availability and I'm not sure if all resorts will be included, but that is also something you can look at if March/April is when you are looking to go. Whether or not any discounts will be offered for 2015 is anybody's guess, but you could at least play around with dates with the discount and get an idea of cost.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
OneLittleSpark1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Forgive me for my ignorance, but how do you book vacation club rental? Where do you go to rent points?
You can always go with a private deal directly with an owner. Or you can use a third party, like David's DVC Rental or The DVC Rental Store. There are other rules with those, but you have a guarantee with your DVC rental and they deal with the paperwork contract and if you want the DDP. Things of that nature. It is A LOT cheaper than getting a regular room through Disney, but a little more than you might pay privately.

You have to keep in mind, that the reservation is controlled by the owner, who could cancel at any time. On the flip side, with David's you have to PIF up front and can't cancel things. There are pro's and con's.

Personally for peace of mind, I would use David's or the DVC Rental Store. I have heard good reviews from some of my forum friends about either of these places.

__________________________________________________ ________
-September 1989 off site; March 2005 POP; September 2009 POP/MNSSHP; September 2010 POP/MNSSHP; September 2011 POP; November 2012 POP/MVMCP
OneLittleSpark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

Quote:
in these forums there is a section for rent/trade dvc points.
gratefulfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
epadisney
Earning My Ears

Ok, this is good information. Thank you.

I'm thinking about getting the Disney visa. Are there any special discounts available for credit card holders?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

I would also recommend checking the discount section of the boards. Sometimes people will post deals where Orbitz and Cheap Tickets are offering additional discounts on top of the general public discounts. We managed to get 30% off staying at the Yacht and then used a promo code to get another 20% off. I'd also check into renting DVC points. We have done it before buying ours and it was a bit cheaper. I'm not sure how much availability there will be at the Villas at Grand Floridian but it doesn't hurt to try. I did see that they announced up to 35% off room only for Disney Visa so it looks like they do get special discounts. I'm also looking into getting Disney Visa.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
MAO
BWV Owner

The Disney Visa discount is the same as the one that they're offering on 10/8. It was just available to Visa holders a few days earlier. Evidently there are a limited number of rooms available with this discount, and being a Disney Visa cardholder you got first crack at them.
MAO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: